+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra Company Transfer and Study Permit

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Hi guys,

I need some help. I had applied for a student visa and got approved. The company that I'm working with is now willing to do an intra-company transfer. I do want to keep my student status but also want to work with my current organisation given the Covid situation and uncertainty in the job market. They are willing to retain me as a part-time employee till I graduate. They have an office in Canada, but am I eligible to work from day 1 of my course start? Also, would I need a Sin number for transfer and how long does it take? Will I be able to work only after I get it? Also, I don't want to do anything which hampers my student visa conditions. Neither do I want to let go of a job. :(

I'll really be grateful if someone can help me out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I need some help. I had applied for a student visa and got approved. The company that I'm working with is now willing to do an intra-company transfer. I do want to keep my student status but also want to work with my current organisation given the Covid situation and uncertainty in the job market. They are willing to retain me as a part-time employee till I graduate. They have an office in Canada, but am I eligible to work from day 1 of my course start? Also, would I need a Sin number for transfer and how long does it take? Will I be able to work only after I get it? Also, I don't want to do anything which hampers my student visa conditions. Neither do I want to let go of a job. :(

I'll really be grateful if someone can help me out.
ICT is only possible if you are moving to Canada for a full-time role.

If you don't want to lose the opportunity to study, then you would need to come to Canada on the study permit and then work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. An ICT will not be possible. You would be able to start working once your classes in Canada begin. You can get the SIN as soon as you arrive in Canada.

Reactions: Jedi_Returns

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
ICT is only possible if you are moving to Canada for a full-time role.

If you don't want to lose the opportunity to study, then you would need to come to Canada on the study permit and then work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. An ICT will not be possible. You would be able to start working once your classes in Canada begin. You can get the SIN as soon as you arrive in Canada.
Thank you for your response. Once I reach in Canada, whenever that is, can I get the SIN in a couple of days? Also, if my current company issues a part-time offer letter with 20hrs/week, would I be allowed to work? I mean is there a limitation on kind of work that is done? Like how the CPT works in US. I will be working on the field of my study. Hope that's not a problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. Once I reach in Canada, whenever that is, can I get the SIN in a couple of days? Also, if my current company issues a part-time offer letter with 20hrs/week, would I be allowed to work? I mean is there a limitation on kind of work that is done? Like how the CPT works in US. I will be working on the field of my study. Hope that's not a problem.
Yes, you can get a SIN pretty much immediately.

I don't understand your question about the letter. No letter is required. You can work for any employer up to 20 hours per week once you start attending classes.

I don't know how CPT works. But it's typically safe to assume the immigration processes between Canada and the U.S. are quite different.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Yes, you can get a SIN pretty much immediately.

I don't understand your question about the letter. No letter is required. You can work for any employer up to 20 hours per week once you start attending classes.

I don't know how CPT works. But it's typically safe to assume the immigration processes between Canada and the U.S. are quite different.
Alright, got it. The letter is for proving that I'll work only 20hrs a week. Since it would be a WFH position I thought it would be necessary to prove I'm not working more than what's allowed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Alright, got it. The letter is for proving that I'll work only 20hrs a week. Since it would be a WFH position I thought it would be necessary to prove I'm not working more than what's allowed.
No letter is needed. If you are working more than the time allowed this will show up in the payroll your company submits to CRA and may cause problems with your status in Canada.