+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra company transfer after receiving PPR/COPR

Harminder Singh2

Jan 31, 2021
Hi All

I(software engineer) have applied under express entry program and received by PPR/COPR .
When I told this to my current employer (software company) , they said that they are interested to transfer me to Canadian office.
Can any body share how this can be done.
  • Can my employer hire me based on my COPR/PPR so I leave India on Friday and join in Canada on Monday thereby not having break in my employment?
  • Will my employer need to sponsor work permit for me so it can hire me since I have not officially landed in Canada and got my PR ?
Has any body gone through this experience where they have privately applied for PR (with any job offer) but after receiving PPR want to continue in same company in Canada because the company wants a intra company transfer ?

Regards
Harminder

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can’t travel on your COPR with a job offer due to COVID. Your employer needs a LMIA and then you apply for a closed work permit to be able to enter Canada. This will take many months.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hi All

I(software engineer) have applied under express entry program and received by PPR/COPR .
When I told this to my current employer (software company) , they said that they are interested to transfer me to Canadian office.
  • Can my employer hire me based on my COPR/PPR so I leave India on Friday and join in Canada on Monday thereby not having break in my employment?
  • Will my employer need to sponsor work permit for me so it can hire me since I have not officially landed in Canada and got my PR ?
Has any body gone through this experience where they have privately applied for PR (with any job offer) but after receiving PPR want to continue in same company in Canada because the company wants a intra company transfer ?

Regards
Harminder
I was in your exact same shoes. I had my COPR and asked my company if there was any chance to work from their office here in Canada. Long story short, they drafted an offer letter for me and I took it with me when I came to Canada, but no one asked for it at any airports, because I had the COPR.

Now answering your questions:

> Yes, your employer can hire you based on your COPR/PR, my employer had an office in Montreal and Toronto, I got my offer letter from Montreal, but I continue to work from Toronto.
> My employer did not sponsor me for any work permit, your COPR/PR gives you that permit. It is okay even if you have not landed in Canada, they can draft an offer letter and give you.

It was a smooth process for me, the only thing my HR confirmed was, do I have the COPR or I am just bluffing :p

Hope it helps, DM me if you need any help regarding this.

Harminder Singh2

Jan 31, 2021
I was in your exact same shoes. I had my COPR and asked my company if there was any chance to work from their office here in Canada. Long story short, they drafted an offer letter for me and I took it with me when I came to Canada, but no one asked for it at any airports, because I had the COPR.

> Yes, your employer can hire you based on your COPR/PR, my employer had an office in Montreal and Toronto, I got my offer letter from Montreal, but I continue to work from Toronto.
> My employer did not sponsor me for any work permit, your COPR/PR gives you that permit. It is okay even if you have not landed in Canada, they can draft an offer letter and give you.

It was a smooth process for me, the only thing my HR confirmed was, do I have the COPR or I am just bluffing :p

Thank you red_rom, will work with my HR . Will DM to discuss any queries

Gunik1123

Star Member
Jul 20, 2019

Thanks for sharing valuable information.

I want to ask you one thing that you intimated HR about COPR/PPR after resigning from your company or resigned after getting offer letter for Canadian office?

MVK2019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019

Hi,
My spouse is also in the same situation.
We got COPR( issued after March18 2020) and about to get the offer letter.

As per the travel restrictions, COPR issued after March18 is not exempted to travel.

Is it possible to get the Authorization letter considering considering this is similar to work permit situation? Did you come across any such scenario? Thanks!

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for sharing valuable information.

I want to ask you one thing that you intimated HR about COPR/PPR after resigning from your company or resigned after getting offer letter for Canadian office?
So, in my case, I resigned the job in my Bangalore office and joined in the Toronto office as a new employee. Again, both HRs (Toronto and Bangalore) were involved before I got the offer letter. I told them about my COPR before they offered me the role.

I and my wife we had made up our mind to leave for Canada, so I started by telling my employer that I would be moving to Toronto on a certain date and I am going to put down my papers soon.

Later, I started exploring opportunities within my company in Canada, if there are any options or any roles that would fit my profile. Luckily, one of the founders of the company recognized my previous work and told the HR in Montreal to draft an offer letter.

In parallel I had started a conversation with the HR as well, and my HR validated all my COPR and other verification before they released the offer letter. So, I told them I am resigning and then looked for opportunities.

Hope it helps.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Hi,
My spouse is also in the same situation.
We got COPR( issued after March18 2020) and about to get the offer letter.

As per the travel restrictions, COPR issued after March18 is not exempted to travel.

Is it possible to get the Authorization letter considering considering this is similar to work permit situation? Did you come across any such scenario? Thanks!
Not that I know of any such situation. When I moved, I didn't have to produce any AL at the Port of Entry.

For your case, I guess you will have to tell the IRCC (web form or something) that you already have a job offer, have planned for quarantine, negative PCR test etc. and everything is in place. This will give them confidence to issue an AL as soon as possible.

Hope it helps.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hi all,

Correct me if I am wrong, but once you have CoPR the only reason for having a job offer letter would be if it is an essential job that allows you to land even with the travel restrictions. If the job is not essential, the job offer will not add anything and it is not required.

MVK2019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Not that I know of any such situation. When I moved, I didn't have to produce any AL at the Port of Entry.

For your case, I guess you will have to tell the IRCC (web form or something) that you already have a job offer, have planned for quarantine, negative PCR test etc. and everything is in place. This will give them confidence to issue an AL as soon as possible.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the response. Yeah will have to try out the possibilities. Did you hold post March 18 COPR at the time of landing?

Last edited:

MVK2019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Hi All

Regards
Harminder
Hi,
Are you Post March 18 COPR? Did you applied for AL with the job offer? Please share your experiences. We are on the same boat.