+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview with Citizenship Officer

marako

Nov 20, 2022
Almost a year after taking the citizenship test, my wife and I got invited (separately) to an in-person interview with a citizenship officer. We're asked to bring all the supporting documents submitted with our citizenship applications. Status online shows that we've been invited to an interview, physical presence and prohibitions are "in progress" in my case and "completed" in my wife's.

Has anyone attended an interview like this in recent months? What should we expect?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Personal interviews were the norm pre-covid. This is nothing to worry about. Stick to the facts. Don't offer more information than is necessary.
If you have a history of travel during your eligibility period, ensure that there is absolutely no ambiguity or room for doubt to prove your stay in Canada.

Reactions: marako

marako

Nov 20, 2022
Thank you. I suspect it's about physical presence because even though my wife and I became permanent residents in 2015, we did not relocate to Canada (from the U.S.) until mid to end of 2018 and applied for citizenship towards the end of 2021 after calculating 1095 days plus some buffer. I still work in the U.S. with 2-3 days a week commute (daytrips and sometime longer) across the border. I submitted all the absences including daytrips with my application and was asked for an I-94 travel history which was submitted a few days before the notice to appear for interview arrived. Let's see what the citizenship officer has to say. Hopefully, it's just confirming the absences and ask us about where we intend to live in the future (whether in the U.S. or in Canada)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Almost a year after taking the citizenship test, my wife and I got invited (separately) to an in-person interview with a citizenship officer. We're asked to bring all the supporting documents submitted with our citizenship applications. Status online shows that we've been invited to an interview, physical presence and prohibitions are "in progress" in my case and "completed" in my wife's.

Has anyone attended an interview like this in recent months? What should we expect?
There might be a surprise that IRCC may invite you to attend the citizenship ceremony right there after the interview.
it’s not a norm but it has happened with other applicants before.

• Love

marako

Nov 20, 2022
There might be a surprise that IRCC may invite you to attend the citizenship ceremony right there after the interview.
it’s not a norm but it has happened with other applicants before.
I'll be ecstatic if that happens. Tired of waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: abbas.pasha

taylordz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
I'm in the same case as you.
Test passed in April 2022 and today I had an update that I was scheduled for an interview on Apr 12th. My wife didn't got a notification.
LPP are still in progress, November 2021 applicants, Montréal office.

marako

Nov 20, 2022
I'm in the same case as you.
Test passed in April 2022 and today I had an update that I was scheduled for an interview on Apr 12th. My wife didn't got a notification.
LPP are still in progress, November 2021 applicants, Montréal office.
Good luck! I'll let you know how my interview (Surrey, BC) goes.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

marako

Nov 20, 2022
Just got back from the citizenship interview and surprisingly had the oath ceremony right after in a special ceremony. The interview itself was easy, just questions about travel history and work. There were government officials from Ottawa visiting the office in Surrey who made it stress-free and smooth.

Within an hour of the oath, the citizenship officer called to ask if we would like to pick up our citizenship certificates in person instead of receiving them by mail in a week or so. Of course, we're going to pick them up in person today :)

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Just got back from the citizenship interview and surprisingly had the oath ceremony right after in a special ceremony. The interview itself was easy, just questions about travel history and work. There were government officials from Ottawa visiting the office in Surrey who made it stress-free and smooth.

Within an hour of the oath, the citizenship officer called to ask if we would like to pick up our citizenship certificates in person instead of receiving them by mail in a week or so. Of course, we're going to pick them up in person today :)
Look what I told yaa :)

yahyamisbah

Feb 6, 2013

congrats

RandomUser514

Mar 17, 2023
Quebec City

wow, congratulations! So happy for you. Was smiling while reading your update. All the best bro!

mubasshirali

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Surrey, BC
Wow Congratulations,
I have noticed Interview Request in tracker on April 24, 2023 for myself and my wife. I live in Surrey, BC. Any idea what they going to ask?