+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview in Broken english

naveen636

Mar 17, 2009
Hi Guys,
if some one have broken English but don't want to hire interpret for interview......is it acceptable by IO or embassy?

i mean can i give interview in Broken English?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
You can request to have a translator present. You wouldn't have to hire him, the visa office would take care of that.

But yes, if you want to, you can do it without one. Keep in mind that might not be best - if you say something you don't mean (but think you said something else), it could hurt your case.

Rocky636

Jan 7, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th May 2010
Doc's Request.
23-August-2010 Asked RPRF & Pics return back
AOR Received.
23-June-10
File Transfer...
18-June-2010
Med's Done....
24-March-2010
Interview........
11-August-2010
Passport Req..
8-July-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-December-2010
LANDED..........
21-January-2011
Thanks mitamata ...

yup i can understand that but i want to talk my self coz not sure if embassy translator explain good or just will be formality so i thought it's better if i gave answer by my self so i can explain nicely.... i can communicate in English just issue is some time little broken grammar so its why i asked if they don't mind listen broken English ....

jdod

Jan 10, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-10-2009
File Transfer...
29-10-2009
Passport Req..
08-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2010
you will do just fine.

Ha Nguyen

Star Member
Nov 9, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2011
Doc's Request.
Nov 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
File Transfer...
Mar-2017
Do you think they will provide you an interpreter as you request? I dont think so. I think you should hire an interpreter yourself and pay for that service.
I am having an interview in Buffalo and in the letter they advised that if you need an interpreter please contact xxxx and you are responsible for the charge.
I think my Eng is okay as I can communicate well with my husband (Canadian man). But I am not sure if the visa officer can understand me or not
or if there is something that I misunderstand their questions, that's a risk so I would rather to hire an interpreter just in case. Of course i will try my best to talk to them in Eng and only need the help of the interpreter whenever I can not express my idea.

What do you guys think?

Jan 20, 2010
Ha Nguyen said:
Do you think they will provide you an interpreter as you request? I dont think so. I think you should hire an interpreter yourself and pay for that service.
I am having an interview in Buffalo and in the letter they advised that if you need an interpreter please contact xxxx and you are responsible for the charge.
I think my Eng is okay as I can communicate well with my husband (Canadian man). But I am not sure if the visa officer can understand me or not
or if there is something that I misunderstand their questions, that's a risk so I would rather to hire an interpreter just in case. Of course i will try my best to talk to them in Eng and only need the help of the interpreter whenever I can not express my idea.

What do you guys think?
I'm planning to do the same thing for my wife.

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
Here is what happened to my husband.

He speaks pretty good english, but when he got called for his interview he asked for an interpreter. He was afraid that the officer would ask him something and that he would not understand the question or have a problem finding the right word. It was one of the biggest mistakes we made.

The interpreter was horriable. She mis interpreted a lot of the things my husband said, got involved with the case/was not imparshal and discussed with the IO things that I had said in my paperwork (which was in english and had nothing to do with the interview) .

My husband ws refused adn one of the reasons give was that the IO did not believe that we could communicate becasue we spoke different languages and that my husband's english was not good enough for us to be able to communicate.

Now it is over 1.5 years, an appeal later (we won) and we are still waiting for his visa

Ha Nguyen

Star Member
Nov 9, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2011
Doc's Request.
Nov 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
File Transfer...
Mar-2017
I dont understand why the interpreter is allowed to discuss with the IO about the application. Actually, we hire them and pay for them, so their duty is just interprete, I am their customer. I am sorry to hear about your case, that may also happend with me. We contact the Buffalo institute 1 month ago and give them the credit card number, but they still havent made arrangement yet. very poor service they provide. I may think again if i should change my mind. I can speak Eng well actually. I dont like the interpreter involving in my application. That sucks. Thank you for your information.

Rocky636

Jan 7, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th May 2010
Doc's Request.
23-August-2010 Asked RPRF & Pics return back
AOR Received.
23-June-10
File Transfer...
18-June-2010
Med's Done....
24-March-2010
Interview........
11-August-2010
Passport Req..
8-July-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-December-2010
LANDED..........
21-January-2011
Hi mingus,
1st of all congratulations that guys won Apeal :)

i am also in same confusing like that time ur husband... actually i feel so easy to communicate in English with my wife plus i don't think if my English really poor.( but who know if IO accent lil bit thick or he speak fast?)
But only issue is what if during interview i can't understand IO Q. or can't find my self right or roper word? is it possible i hire inter. only for translate IO Q. and give answer by my self? or if stuck on any proper word i can ask to Inter. for proper meaning in English about that word?