+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview: if husband and wife applied together, will they be interviewed together?

snoopy719

Nov 27, 2016
Dear All,

My wife and I applied for citizenship together to Winnipeg office. We have now been called for the test and an interview to review the originals of the documents that we submitted copies of in our application. I have a question: will me wife and I be interviewed together or separately? If separately, by the same officer or not necessarily? If separately, do we each have to have his/her own documents (I usually handle all that stuff)?

Also, how long should the whole thing (test and interview) take? We need to plan for a babysitter.

Also, would the interview be with a citizenship judge or with a CIC official?

Also, do we find out how we did on the test on the spot or do we have to wait to find out?

Thanks,

Snoopy

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Dear All,

My wife and I applied for citizenship together to Winnipeg office. We have now been called for the test and an interview to review the originals of the documents that we submitted copies of in our application. I have a question: will me wife and I be interviewed together or separately? If separately, by the same officer or not necessarily? If separately, do we each have to have his/her own documents (I usually handle all that stuff)?

Also, how long should the whole thing (test and interview) take? We need to plan for a babysitter.

Also, do we find out how we did on the test on the spot or do we have to wait to find out?

Thanks,

Snoopy
Answers to some of your questions:

1) People generally spend under 10-15 minutes on the test (my friends prepared well and were done in under 5 min). There are 20 questions. Only 15/20 correct answers are needed to pass.

2) Then you go wait for the interview after the test. I heard its in no particular order. Interview lasts 5-10 minutes.
You will find out how you did on the test in the interview.

3) Interview is with an Immigration Officer

Rick12

Nov 8, 2017
Yes , they will interview husband wife together, even you do not finish the test together, they will wait till both of you finish and same officer will interview.

Dear All,

Thanks,

Snoopy

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
You will get the test / interview date together. We were interviewed by the same officer SEPARATELY, that was for everyone. You will not go in together. Have her documents in an envelope separate from yours, and keep yours and if have kids with you. Nothing special just checked our originals and asked to update the travel history if any changes. Lasted about 10 mins or so. Again will vary for everyone, depending how complete or simple is anyone's case. Some basic chit chat maybe to check level of English, nothing of that sort was in our interview though.

Test is before interview. And you'll be informed of the results during interview.

Yes have a baby sitter for kids as you'll go together into a room/hall for the test. Kids cannot accompany. Test is simple just go through Discover Canada. Plenty of time.

Good luck.

oferro

Nov 13, 2017
My wife, my son and I did the test about a week ago and we were interviewed together. The officer direct questions to each one separately but we were all in the same room and I had all the documents.
The interviews last 15 to 20 min in total (similar to the test) but we waited almost 2 hours between test and interview so probably the babysitter is a good idea. Plan to be there around 3 hours (may be less).

Last edited:

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
My wife, my son and I did the test about a week ago and we were interviewed together. The officer direct questions to each one separately but we were all in the same room and I had all the documents.
The interviews last 15 to 20 min in total (similar to the test) but we waited almost 2 hours between test and interview so probably the babysitter is a good idea. Plan to be there around 3 hours (may be less).
In Vancouver couples were interviewed by the same officer but not together. Families were called for the interview one by one.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
I know it's too early for me to ask but wanted clarification
In my application along with my wife 2 child is there, (less than 14 year ) and i have one Canada born child

My Q
1- Since no test is for Kids (less than 14 year) , do they need to appear for Interview ? If yes , then during test time where they can be , I mean in centre there is some room where I can leave my child for Written test time (my child is approx 8 year old)
2- Interview happen for child also , if yes then what kind of Q they ask to them , if NO then they can accommodate me and my wife in interview room ?
3- Do I need to take my Canada born child also in interview time , Or nor required as she is not part of application and she is too small (I might plan for babysitter)

Please advice

Reactions: find_anand

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
I know it's too early for me to ask but wanted clarification
In my application along with my wife 2 child is there, (less than 14 year ) and i have one Canada born child

My Q
1- Since no test is for Kids (less than 14 year) , do they need to appear for Interview ? If yes , then during test time where they can be , I mean in centre there is some room where I can leave my child for Written test time (my child is approx 8 year old)
2- Interview happen for child also , if yes then what kind of Q they ask to them , if NO then they can accommodate me and my wife in interview room ?
3- Do I need to take my Canada born child also in interview time , Or nor required as she is not part of application and she is too small (I might plan for babysitter)

Please advice
Kids aged mentioned by you are not required to attend interview / test. You cannot take kids in the test room and don't expect them to accomodate you.

Interview for us was, separate for me and my wife. Someone mentioned above they had it together. Take 2 separate envelopes with yours and spouse documents and separate for your kids, present if required (kids).

Further as per my knowledge, you cannot leave kids under age of 12 years alone, meaning 8 year old cannot stay back in the waiting area, it's the law. Have them stay at home with a babysitter or a family member.

Reactions: CEC_1304

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Kids aged mentioned by you are not required to attend interview / test. You cannot take kids in the test room and don't expect them to accomodate you.

Interview for us was, separate for me and my wife. Someone mentioned above they had it together. Take 2 separate envelopes with yours and spouse documents and separate for your kids, present if required (kids).

Further as per my knowledge, you cannot leave kids under age of 12 years alone, meaning 8 year old cannot stay back in the waiting area, it's the law. Have them stay at home with a babysitter or a family member.
Thanks so much + 1 for you

Yes sure I will arrange some one for the big day form my kids to attend them at home

By any chance the Officer will not ask where is Kid or some thing like that? Am I correct ? I mean , what if officer want to see my kid in person , since he is also an applicant , OR that is a rule less than 14 year , they will just see document of kid ..
i am sorry , but I do not have any clue on this

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Thanks so much + 1 for you

Yes sure I will arrange some one for the big day form my kids to attend them at home

By any chance the Officer will not ask where is Kid or some thing like that? Am I correct ? I mean , what if officer want to see my kid in person , since he is also an applicant , OR that is a rule less than 14 year , they will just see document of kid ..
i am sorry , but I do not have any clue on this
You will get test / interview letter for individuals required to appear infront of the officer and the test.

The letter specifically mentioned that only individuals with scheduled dates are allowed inside the test area and interview. If kids don't get it they don't go :) and they don't (young ones). If you don't trust the babysitter take them with you and they can manage kids there in the waiting area while you go for test / interview, your absence from the waiting area, shouldnt be more than 30-40 mins altogether.

The letter also was very clear regarding children and advised to bring someone with you to manage them in the waiting area, if required. Further mentions that if you cannot arrange something for kids, rebook.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
You will get test / interview letter for individuals required to appear infront of the officer and the test.

The letter specifically mentioned that only individuals with scheduled dates are allowed inside the test area and interview. If kids don't get it they don't go :) and they don't (young ones). If you don't trust the babysitter take them with you and they can manage kids there in the waiting area while you go for test / interview, your absence from the waiting area, shouldnt be more than 30-40 mins altogether.

The letter also was very clear regarding children and advised to bring someone with you to manage them in the waiting area, if required. Further mentions that if you cannot arrange something for kids, rebook.

Hope this helps.
Thanks So much :)