+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International trade

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
Hello dear friends,

I have a PGWP at the moment and I am living in Toronto.
My dad owns a concrete factory in Europe and he wants to send some molds to Canada and start producing concrete products over here.
I can't open a business myself at the moment with my status, but is it possible to produce and sell products in Canada?

The company that will produce the concrete products over here can pay my dad directly in Europe?

Is this legally possible?

Thanks in advance for your advice ;D

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
You dad can open a company in Canada, that will be a subsidiary of your European company. You can be one of the employee if that is allowed.

This may help.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/icgc.nsf/eng/h_07064.html

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
Thanks!

A lot of information on that website, but is opening up a subsidiary different then investing?
Because they suspended investment into Canada at the moment?

I am a little confused about this..

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Opening subsidiary is like investing.
The investor immigrant program is suspended.

Have you done a bit of research about demand for your concrete products? It will be worth doing that before investing.
Where in Europe is your factory and how big is it?

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
The factory in located in the Netherlands and has a turnover of approximately 3 - 5 million euro's a year.

The molds are already paid off, so the initial investment to start producing is quite low.
Marketing and acquisition is no problem and I already have a network.

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Can you please point me to the rule where it says that you cannot start a business on PGWP or you can start business on PGWP. Because I have come across a post where poster is asking to start a business in order to continue his PGWP.
you can apply for PR after 1 year work experience. That may be option to work for 1 year and get PR and start your business.
Let me know your products.

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
I heard that its not possible to start your own business on my PGWP.
They said that they required a PR to do that.

However, the idea of opening up a branch or subsidiary is interesting for me and my dad.

He can make all kinds of concrete products, but the molds will consist of concrete benches, ping pong tables and that kind of stuff.
These products look a lot more modern and nicer then the current concrete I see around Toronto.

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
I suggest you contact the trade department and find out, especially about foreign direct investment.

Or

Find someone on PR and open a limited company with you holding majority shares and then you be the employee of that company and after one year when you get PR, buy out the other shares to fully own the company.

jahangeer100

Dec 5, 2013
I am highly impressed with such a good and extra ordinary information. It is very helpful for me because I am new here. Thanks for information and keep it up.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Hi
The questions of business in Canada for non residents (non citizens or PR) is one that comes up often. There are many rules though the most important thing about this is that there is a restriction to percentage of foreign ownership. Depending on the setup you may be forced to take a Canadian partner of at least 25%, (50% in some cases).

I found some information on the industry Canada website - (sorry were not allowed to post the link on this forum yet..)

A business lawyer may be able to help you navigate this better, I would suggest you start with that. Might cost you $100 or $200 for the advice, though it sounds like this may not be a significant problem.

Good Luck with your venture.

Cheers :)