+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International students who are mid-program (2-4 year courses) who's classes are all remote, will you still get PGWP credit?

Jaybird94

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit.html#toc_6

Please see highlighted sections in the screenshots.

Asking for a relative, she just finished her first year of University then flew back to Dubai in May to be with family since Canada was on complete lockdown for COVID19.

Her classes for 2nd of 4 years in University resume in September, but due to COVID, all of her classes are still being conducted online. If she continues to stay outside Canada at home, but do the classes online, would she still be eligible for a 3 year PGWP on a 4 year program? Or would she have to move back to her uncle's house in Toronto and then study from home remotely for the hours to count towards PGWP? She can travel to Canada assuming flights are operational under the "established in Canada" clause.

they are established, residing and studying in Canada. If they are established in Canada, their return is non-discretionary

Can anyone provide me with some clarity on this? I've spent the last few hours browsing, but the best information i could find was:

"If more than 50% of the course, in a SEMESTER is online only, it won't count towards PGWP. Exception only for courses that are online-only until December 2020" - 100% of the courses for the Fall semester are online only. There's no getting around this, would it make a difference if she studies while outside Canada vs. Inside Canada? even though both options are still going to be remote and not "On-Campus". There's also the uncertainty of the January/Winter semester also being online-only.

"Defer the semester until COVID restrictions clear" - This seems to be the go-to option right now, but according to the IRCC website, any leaves of absence on the study permit over 150 days that aren't under "exceptions" will cause issues. Does COVID-19 and being worried about health risks/traveling count as an exception? Or would deferring the entire year be okay. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html#exceptions

I'm very confused on this subject as I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

The majority of posts on most of the Student-related forums are about people waiting to receive their study permit, but I'm looking for what happens to students, already with study permits, outside Canada, remote learning because their campuses are closed and all classes are remote at least for the entire Fall semester. (Downtown Toronto)

Last edited:

Jaybird94

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Well the general consensus seems to be that, at least until December 2020, any courses done online, whether remotely or from within Canada, will still be eligible towards the PGWP, unless the entire program is converted into an online-only course.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Well the general consensus seems to be that, at least until December 2020, any courses done online, whether remotely or from within Canada, will still be eligible towards the PGWP, unless the entire program is converted into an online-only course.
This is correct. Although, for programs as long as that, it shouldn't matter that much