+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student's Spouse immigration in Canada (Inland)

Concordia

Apr 21, 2013
Hello Guys,

I am from Pakistan. I have applied for student visa last year in November (i was single), i have got rejected and I applied in July again (i was single), and got student visa. When I came to Canada in September I did Nikkah with my family friend (she is a Canadian Citizen and studying) and registered our marriage in Canada in same week of my arrival.

Now, I am wondering, if we will apply for spouse immigration how would i justify this marriage? can they think i mis-informed them?

Second option would be i need to wait to complete my Master's and apply for PR.

Kindly share your comments and experiences.

Thanks in Advance!!!

viva99

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
-
Re: Spouse immigration in Canada (Inland)

Hi,
I believe if you show sufficient documentation that you are married it should be good.
If your nikkah was in in Pakistan and you have documents/photos you should attach those. Attach your Canadian marriage certificate too.
Attach a letter explaining what you just mentioned in your post. Be as detailed as possible.
Whatever is required to show your relationship is legit should be included in your application.

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015

You were rejected in 1st attempt due to what reason?

Concordia

Apr 21, 2013

don’t you think my case will be rejected as immigration officer can say you guys must had some commitment before applying student visa and u didn’t mention at the time of student visa.

viva99 said:
Hi,
I believe if you show sufficient documentation that you are married it should be good.
If your nikkah was in in Pakistan and you have documents/photos you should attach those. Attach your Canadian marriage certificate too.
Attach a letter explaining what you just mentioned in your post. Be as detailed as possible.
Whatever is required to show your relationship is legit should be included in your application.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014

You had your Nikkah AFTER arriving in Canada, is that correct? So at the time of application, you were single. Even if you knew at the time that you won't be single for long, at the time of application, you were legally not married. I don't believe "engaged" or "soon to be married" was an option when they ask for your marital status when you apply for a student visa, so I don't think it was misrepresentation. If it is a work permit you are looking to get your spouse through your status as a foreign student, you should be fine as they are not as strict since they deem it "temporary" unlike us inlanders :'(

Concordia

Apr 21, 2013

My wife is a Canadian Citizen and If i apply to change status it would be ilnad immigration not work-permit.

28january said:
You had your Nikkah AFTER arriving in Canada, is that correct? So at the time of application, you were single. Even if you knew at the time that you won't be single for long, at the time of application, you were legally not married. I don't believe "engaged" or "soon to be married" was an option when they ask for your marital status when you apply for a student visa, so I don't think it was misrepresentation. If it is a work permit you are looking to get your spouse through your status as a foreign student, you should be fine as they are not as strict since they deem it "temporary" unlike us inlanders :'(

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
Oh then I don't think it matters, given that you are actually doing your Masters right now.

You don't have any reason to misrepresent since you are not benefiting in anyway applying for study permit as an unmarried person, if your spouse is Canadian.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
My only comment would be to your statement that "I did Nikkah with my family friend (she is a Canadian Citizen and studying) and registered our marriage in Canada in same week of my arrival."

That sends up red flags in my head. Sounds as if you only 'married' this citizen so you could file for PR. You never once said in your original statement. I applied for a student visa. I wanted to come see my girlfriend, or anything of that nature. Just a simple. Yep, got my study visa and then married some family friend as soon as I was in the country.

The only comment I can make regarding this is I certainly hope if you file a sponsorship application you don't put it that way while explaining your version of 'how we met'.

engrAyan

Jul 9, 2013
Hey Arsal,

I got the same situation as your's. I am from Pakistan, my fiance was living in canada. I applied for master and got accepted and have had marriage here in canada after one week of my arrival. I have applied for family class sponsorship. and still my master is going on.
I would suggest you apply for your sponsorship don't waste your time, day by day cic are changing their rules, I also didn't mention anything while i was applying for my study visa. Now we are here on legal status.

can anyone tell me what's the processing time for spouse sponsorship? I applied in June 10, 2014 and still my application is not in process? It's been 6 month so far

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
engrAyan said:
Hey Arsal,

I got the same situation as your's. I am from Pakistan, my fiance was living in canada. I applied for master and got accepted and have had marriage here in canada after one week of my arrival. I have applied for family class sponsorship. and still my master is going on.
I would suggest you apply for your sponsorship don't waste your time, day by day cic are changing their rules, I also didn't mention anything while i was applying for my study visa. Now we are here on legal status.

can anyone tell me what's the processing time for spouse sponsorship? I applied in June 10, 2014 and still my application is not in process? It's been 6 month so far
If you applied INLAND the process will take you roughly 16 months to complete step 1 and another 8 months to complete step 2. You are just getting started.

If you applied OUTLAND then you will need to locate the thread here that is full of Pakistani nationals and they can better direct you to how long they are waiting for application completion.