+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International students on PGWP applying under Express entry, lets communicate !

dlau9227

Apr 9, 2014
Does anyone know when the experience gets counted from.

Graduated in April
Started working in Noc B in May
Received PGWP in August

Can I start counting my experience from May?

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
dlau9227 said:

Graduated in April
Received PGWP in August

Unfortunately you cannot

Expires counts from the day you get your pgwp

dlau9227

Apr 9, 2014
So to qualify for CEC is in August (which is fine), but do i gain 2 years of work experience in May 2016. I called CIC and they said that I gain work experience for CRS score calculation in May. I clicked no the question was this experience gained during full time study for the period from May - AUgust.

Can anyone clarify, thanks.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
dlau9227 said:
So to qualify for CEC is in August (which is fine), but do i gain 2 years of work experience in May 2016. I called CIC and they said that I gain work experience for CRS score calculation in May. I clicked no the question was this experience gained during full time study for the period from May - AUgust.

Can anyone clarify, thanks.
Your experience counts from the day you start work after getting pgwp.

If you started working in May 2014 and received your pgwp in Aug 2014
You will have one year experience in Aug 2015 and 2year will be in Aug 2016.

Do

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
manidhatt said:
Your experience counts from the day you start work after getting pgwp.

If you started working in May 2014 and received your pgwp in Aug 2014
You will have one year experience in Aug 2015 and 2year will be in Aug 2016.

Do
experience will be counted from the day on which you started working. It has nothing to do with work permit approval date. As per CIC rules, a student can start work immediately after finishing his/her studies. Only thing is that application for pgwp should be filed within 90 days after course completion.

mr. gerbil

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
I think if no LMO for international graduates, express entry PNP is the only option for 600 extra point.
My point is now 412. Sigh...

I submitted my EE BC PNP last week. Waiting and praying... ::)

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dlau9227 said:

Graduated in April
Received PGWP in August

Did you get your final graduation letter (not the actual degree at convocation) from your school in April, saying that you have completed all requirements for your course? In that case, work experience will be from May. Basically, work experience counted from after you get this completions letter, and, if you have applied for PGWP within 90 days of graduating, and, eventually your PGWP gets approved.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dlau9227 said:

Graduated in April
Received PGWP in August

Your situation is very similar to mine. Graduated in March, got PGWP in April, started working in August. However, how was you able to work fulltime in May if you received your PGWP in August -> no Social Insurance Number ?

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
SAJ_ee2015 said:
experience will be counted from the day on which you started working. It has nothing to do with work permit approval date. As per CIC rules, a student can start work immediately after finishing his/her studies. Only thing is that application for pgwp should be filed within 90 days after course completion.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=377&t=29

You are not eligible for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class if you gained your work experience:

without the proper authorization (for example, illegally, working without a visa),
in a job not classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the National Occupational Classification,
while you were self-employed, or while on a student work permit, co-op,off-campus, or on-campus)

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
manidhatt said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=377&t=29

You are not eligible for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class if you gained your work experience:

without the proper authorization (for example, illegally, working without a visa),
in a job not classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the National Occupational Classification,
while you were self-employed, or while on a student work permit, co-op,off-campus, or on-campus)
well.. its not illegal work experience. Once a person get course completion letter from university, his studies are finished officially and he can work legally full time. And as i mentioned earlier, he has to apply for pgwp within 90 days after getting course completion letter.

rita.sm16

Aug 19, 2012
I'm in a difficult position! Don't know what to do...
I graduated with a PhD (Canada) and am now working with an open PGWP for a Canadian employer for over 3 months now.
I created an EE profile hoping to qualify to the FSWP with my Research Assistant work experience gained while I was doing my PhD.
Without the LMIA, the system does not recognize I have a job and I get 0 points for arranged employment. There was a bug in the system (in my opinion) as I qualified for the CEC program and got an invitation to apply within 2 days! And it states clearly on the CIC website that any work experience gained while studying full time will not count as work experience for the CEC program. So basically I have an invitation to apply and I know that if I apply I will get rejected immediately.

I am trying to get my employer to do the LMIA to support my application but when he started going over what's needed for the LMIA, he send me that he need to choose one of the following:
"Are you applying for an LMIA to support a foreign national's
A. permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national only after their immigration application is processed and the permanent resident visa is issued). This option does not have a processing fee. OR
B. work permit application and permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national as a temporary foreign worker before or while their permanent residence application being processed). This option requires paying a processing fee"

What should he choose? Does anyone encountered this issue? Does option even apply if I am already in canada?! If he chooses option B I will lose my open work permit and if I lose this job, I'll need to get a new LMIA if I want to stay in Canada and do not have my PR yet?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rita.sm16 said:
I'm in a difficult position! Don't know what to do...
I graduated with a PhD (Canada) and am now working with an open PGWP for a Canadian employer for over 3 months now.
I created an EE profile hoping to qualify to the FSWP with my Research Assistant work experience gained while I was doing my PhD.
Without the LMIA, the system does not recognize I have a job and I get 0 points for arranged employment. There was a bug in the system (in my opinion) as I qualified for the CEC program and got an invitation to apply within 2 days! And it states clearly on the CIC website that any work experience gained while studying full time will not count as work experience for the CEC program. So basically I have an invitation to apply and I know that if I apply I will get rejected immediately.

I am trying to get my employer to do the LMIA to support my application but when he started going over what's needed for the LMIA, he send me that he need to choose one of the following:
"Are you applying for an LMIA to support a foreign national's
A. permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national only after their immigration application is processed and the permanent resident visa is issued). This option does not have a processing fee. OR
B. work permit application and permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national as a temporary foreign worker before or while their permanent residence application being processed). This option requires paying a processing fee"

What should he choose? Does anyone encountered this issue? Does option even apply if I am already in canada?! If he chooses option B I will lose my open work permit and if I lose this job, I'll need to get a new LMIA if I want to stay in Canada and do not have my PR yet?
Option 2 is called a Dual Intent LMIA.

Can an Express Entry candidate come to Canada and start working before they get their permanent residence visa?

Express Entry candidates cannot usually come to Canada to work until they have their permanent resident visa. In some cases, candidates will already be in Canada with a temporary work permit.

Employers who need a worker to start before the permanent resident visa is processed, can apply for a “dual intent” Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Note that in this type of situation, an employer will need to pay the LMIA processing fee. A “dual intent” LMIA means a person can come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker (TFW) first and work while they wait for a decision on their permanent residence application. In this case, a candidate must still apply for a work permit and meet the requirements for TFWs.

Express Entry candidates who have a job offer and have been invited to apply will not automatically be given a temporary work permit or temporary resident visa.
Read more about LMIA here ---> http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/permanent/index.shtml

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
SAJ_ee2015 said:
well.. its not illegal work experience. Once a person get course completion letter from university, his studies are finished officially and he can work legally full time. And as i mentioned earlier, he has to apply for pgwp within 90 days after getting course completion letter.
Trust me I am in the same boat and I confirmed from CIC.
You can only claim the points for work experience that you have worked after getting your pgwp. Reason as per cic," even if you are done with your study, you are working on your Off campus work permit until you get your pgwp."

They do not give points for work that has been done on Off campus work permit. At least this is what the agent told me over the phone.

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
manidhatt said:
Trust me I am in the same boat and I confirmed from CIC.
You can only claim the points for work experience that you have worked after getting your pgwp. Reason as per cic," even if you are done with your study, you are working on your Off campus work permit until you get your pgwp."

They do not give points for work that has been done on Off campus work permit. At least this is what the agent told me over the phone.
oh ok.. Thanks for the information :)

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SAJ_ee2015 said:
oh ok.. Thanks for the information :)
I applied through CEC and I got PPR today. I am a PGWP holder. My qualifying job was FT, skilled and non-LMIA.

Regarding my 1 year qualifying job. It was a FT, skilled (NOC2132) job for exactly 1 year. I started working after graduating, using my OCWP for two months as a FT work permit (till I got my PGWP). Before I started working I had applied for my PGWP though. Now, my PGWP was issued after two months of already working at this job. Still, for the qualifying 1 year, my previous two months of OCWP work was counted.

In a nutshell, my experience with the OCWP was counted.