+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International students from Russia - Fall 2014 term -

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, guys.

Is anybody registered on this forum coming to study in Canada this year?

As for me, I'm in the middle of the SP application process, and would be glad to discuss stuff related to admission and VO timelines.

Kind regards :)

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
This form is all about discussion. ;)
Can't argue with this statement :) However, it's no secret that the whole process of going to study in Canada can differ greatly for nationals of different regions of the world, so, in my opinion, it would be awesome to share experience with other persons who have same region-specific prerequisites.

Cheers!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for nationals of different regions of the world,
No, it is not. The rules are the same allover the world. There are could be diferrences from one Vo to another but not much. (like if a student needs a police clearance cerificate or not and could he gets SP with a credit (loan) form you local bank, or if you need to but GIS, but mostly this all, no difference in terms of proving ties at home, purpose of study, family like "ties" in home country and in Canada)

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
No, it is not. The rules are the same allover the world. There are could be diferrences from one Vo to another but not much.
Did you know that Russia has joined the Bologna Process only in 2006, so many graduates here still hold diplomas that don't fall in conformity with recognized international standarts?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does not matter. There is a guide for CIC how to evalute dergrees from any country.

And VO knows hwo to do that it since 1990th when FSW started in Russia and other limitrophe countries.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't get me wrong. I never mentioned that a prospective student may get discriminated based on his nationality or vice versa. CIC procedures are indeed streamlined.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Diplomatru, although I'm not a Russian, I study in Russia. I'm also starting my postgrad degree in Canada this Fall 2014. I've already applied and got approved on April 2014 for Study Permit at the Canadian embassy in Moscow. Should you need more info on the process and timeline, don't hesitate to write. Which region in Russia are you now? Which degree program level will you be pursuing in Canada?

Also, for the Russian system of education the visa officers in Moscow know and understand it as well as the universities in Canada. So no problem at all. For my side, the university in Canada calculated my GPA and converted to a 4 point-scale, instead of the normal 5.0. The procedure for acquiring Canadian study permits are the same everywhere with exception of few demands in some countries.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
Hi there, guys.

Is anybody registered on this forum coming to study in Canada this year?

As for me, I'm in the middle of the SP application process, and would be glad to discuss stuff related to admission and VO timelines.

Kind regards :)
Did you submit your application online or through the Canadian Visa Centers or directly to the Canadian Immigration and Visa Office?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Dok, thank you for taking the time to write in this thread. I really appreciate your input.

I got a LOA from Brock U (ON) for MA in Political science program, Fall 2014 intake, which I eventually accepted. The SP application has been submitted online Apr. 16, and two days after I received Med's request. Then I was out of country for vacation, so I was able to schedule my visit to eMedical rep only for May 5. Today the case information was finally updated and now it says that Medical examination is passed. I wonder if the processing time countdown (which is 9 weeks for Moscow VO) starts today when the CIC has received the Med's. Could you kindly tell me how long did it take you to obtain your SP? ::)

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Ok, that's pretty awesome. Confratulations on your admission. I will be pursuing MSc in economics.

Normally, if the VO requests medical report, it means your application is likely to be approved.
I submitted my application online on March 26th and on the 28th, I received message to submit medical report. So I did the medicals on April 7th (e-medical report in Moscow) and got a letter at MyCIC on April 14th stating that a final decision has been made and I've to submit my passport to complete the process. My passport reached the embassy in Moscow on April 16th and on this same day, I got approval letter at MyCIC and my passport with visa the next day.

So I think since you did your medicals on May 5th and you passed, you should get a letter to submit your passport somewhere by May 14th (may be the May holidays may prolong it a bit). For the processing timeline of 9 weeks for Moscow - I think it's not applicable to all eligible student applicants. If you meet all the requirements and no doubt about your intentions, they process it very fast. In your case too if you added a letter of Intent, then there is the likelihood that you won't even be invited for interview and they'll just approve it.

Keep me posted!

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, Doc, or should I call you Prophet instead? =)

As a matter of fact, today I got a request to mail-in the passport to the VO, which is kind of weird because the Embassy should be closed for holiday. So, that's what I would do first thing Monday morning. It looks like having a UCI number and a previous travel record to Canada DOES speed up the processing of the application.

So, I hope you enjoy your weekend, and I will definetly keep in touch. :D

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Well, may be you should:)))) I'm really happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Yes, past travel history also counts and speed up the entire process. I've also travelled to North America for several times, so it was simple.
Anyway, you send your passport for visa counterfoil. I think it's faster if you send it through courier than the Visa Center. The courier companies can deliver your passport the same day, but VFS delivers your passport the next business day. If you use courier express, then you can order back your passport through Pony Express - I used this means. If submitting in person, then only on Wednesdays. I think you're aware of all these, you're SMART!!!

I'll wait for your passport and officially congratulate you!!

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Dok,

Just wanted to let you know that as of today I have a TRV at hand as well as a POE SP approval notice and that's pretty awesome. I decided to go to the Embassy myself this time. They actually allowed in around 60 people, so I felt lucky to have managed crossing the gate before the sentry closed it for good. The nice lady behind the window asked me to collect the passport at 3PM, which was a hassle-free errand.

So, looks like we are all green light. Hope to see you in Canada. Sask, is it?

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Woe! That's awesome:) Congratulations!

Yes, I'm in Saskatoon and you are in Ontario. I will personally write you through email.