+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student

AlexGord

Jan 16, 2019
I am applying for student permit here in philippines and I am hiv positive. Can someone help me the chances of getting approved?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I am applying for student permit here in philippines and I am hiv positive. Can someone help me the chances of getting approved?
Might be a problem because during medical exam, test includes hiv and syphilis. If you test positive, you may not clear the medical exam. You don’t get visa approval f you don’t pass the medical (aside from the other requirements). Are you under any medications now? Canada will look at the medication cost if you will be a burden in the healthcare system.

Others may comment as well.

AlexGord

Jan 16, 2019
Might be a problem because during medical exam, test includes hiv and syphilis. If you test positive, you may not clear the medical exam. You don’t get visa approval f you don’t pass the medical (aside from the other requirements). Are you under any medications now? Canada will look at the medication cost if you will be a burden in the healthcare system.

Others may comment as well.
Thank you so much for this, Yes I am taking medications now. I am taking the first line medicine for hiv because i had a high cd4 and undetectable viral load.

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
AlexGord the excessive burden has been increased to thrice the value now. First line of ARVs (HIV drugs) shall fall within that limit. That would not be an issue. But there is another thing that comes in the picture.
I am also applying for student permit with the same case as yours.
Some one informed me that I will have to show funds to prove that I will be able to spend for the Treatment for the HIV while staying in Canada.
Now every international student in Canada is suppose take a health insurance. I talked to someone from my university and they told me that the health insurance provided by the university covers a cost of CAD7500 for prescription drugs for a 'pre existing condition' for the first year and CAD20000 for the next year.

Now even I am not clear how things will work out for me, or how it worked out for you.

if you can give me an insight of how you went about it, Please let me alot. This will help me for sure.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
AlexGord the excessive burden has been increased to thrice the value now. First line of ARVs (HIV drugs) shall fall within that limit. That would not be an issue. But there is another thing that comes in the picture.
Some one informed me that I will have to show funds to prove that I will be able to spend for the Treatment for the HIV while staying in Canada.
Now every international student in Canada is suppose take a health insurance. I talked to someone from my university and they told me that the health insurance provided by the university covers a cost of CAD7500 for prescription drugs for a 'pre existing condition' for the first year and CAD20000 for the next year.

Now even I am not clear how things will work out for me, or how it worked out for you.

if you can give me an insight of how you went about it, Please let me alot. This will help me for sure.
Thanks.
You should look into the international student medical insurance policy. It should be online. The medical inadmissibility criteria has been increased but not for students. It will depend on the province and plan whether you are accepted.

Peter0822

Sep 22, 2021

Thanks.
Hi! I wanna know about your status in student visa? Did you got your visa?

Tarun-12

Sep 22, 2021
Hey,
I have applied for Jan 2022 intake

Medical done - 7th August
Visa applied -12th August
BIL-13th August

Biometric-7th September ( updated on same date)

Medical updated-16th September

Eligibility review started on 16th September
Also under documents - no further documents needed

Can someone provide approximately how much time I will have to wait?

Peter0822

Sep 22, 2021
Hey,

BIL-13th August

Hello! Did you pass the medical stage? What additional labs did they Asked?

Gusmcr

Sep 22, 2021
Hey,

BIL-13th August

What province and college/univ did you apply for?

Gusmcr

Sep 22, 2021
Ontario- Conestoga college
Have you checked the coverage insurance from them? https://cihip.ca/coverage
All people I saw here in this forum with visa approved they applied for provinces (QC, BC) with provincial coverage that would pay hiv meds.

I'm really concerned if I should try apply for Ontario.
I'm not willing to pay 900 for 30 days supply monthly.

ekkkk

Mar 27, 2022
Hello, I am writing to you from Turkey, I am HIV positive CD4 580 and I am undetected. I will study at Canada Toronto School of Management for 2 years. What type of insurance will I cover my HIV medication and treatment costs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I am writing to you from Turkey, I am HIV positive CD4 580 and I am undetected. I will study at Canada Toronto School of Management for 2 years. What type of insurance will I cover my HIV medication and treatment costs?
International students in Ontario have to pay for UHIP insurance policy. The details of the policy are online. Would not recommend Toronto school of Management.