+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

international student works full-time during the summer break(schedule break)

tanny_ca

Sep 6, 2019
I just check the academic calendar of my university(undergraduate student), it says the Fall term will start in Sept 6.

I am currently doing the summer job full-time, and I told my boss that I will leave in Sept 4.

However, Today I suddenly realized that there is a problem I need to solve out:
How to define the length of 'summber break'?

My friend told me that It would be better to leave before September(last work day could be August 31), because it guarantees that I would not violate the regulation of the study permit(Each week, students should work no more than 20 hours). Suppose Fall term is from September 1, then if I work into Sept 4, then from Sept 1 to 4, I will work 4 days * 7 hours/day = 28 hours > 20 hours.

I have no idea, should I talk to my boss and quit before Sept 1?

myze

Apr 8, 2021
Best if you work for only 20 hours the week of the start of your Fall term. It's always better to be on the safe side

tanny_ca

Sep 6, 2019
Best if you work for only 20 hours the week of the start of your Fall term. It's always better to be on the safe side
Fall term will start in Sept 6 which is a Monday. However, Sept 4 does not fall in 'that week'.

Did you mean I should work only 20 hours from the 'first month'(from September 1st)' of the Fall term?

myze

Apr 8, 2021
Not the first month but the first week. So if your pay period is sunday to Saturday which is 5th to 11th, then work for 20 hours starting that week. You can still work full time up until the 4th since your fall term technically hasn't started yet and you're still on break. Be mindful of the pay periods.

myze

Apr 8, 2021
Fall term will start in Sept 6 which is a Monday. However, Sept 4 does not fall in 'that week'.

Did you mean I should work only 20 hours from the 'first month'(from September 1st)' of the Fall term?
You should also consult with your international student coordinator. They are very helpful with these kind of matters

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I just check the academic calendar of my university(undergraduate student), it says the Fall term will start in Sept 6.

I am currently doing the summer job full-time, and I told my boss that I will leave in Sept 4.

However, Today I suddenly realized that there is a problem I need to solve out:
How to define the length of 'summber break'?

My friend told me that It would be better to leave before September(last work day could be August 31), because it guarantees that I would not violate the regulation of the study permit(Each week, students should work no more than 20 hours). Suppose Fall term is from September 1, then if I work into Sept 4, then from Sept 1 to 4, I will work 4 days * 7 hours/day = 28 hours > 20 hours.

I have no idea, should I talk to my boss and quit before Sept 1?

Quote from IRCC

You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.

From what anyone will understand, your holidays run until Sept 5th Sun 11:59 pm. Till that day you can work any hours.
Start counting your hours from Monday Sept 6th to limit yourself to 20 hours.

tanny_ca

Sep 6, 2019
Not the first month but the first week. So if your pay period is sunday to Saturday which is 5th to 11th, then work for 20 hours starting that week. You can still work full time up until the 4th since your fall term technically hasn't started yet and you're still on break. Be mindful of the pay periods.
Thanks so much!

We got paid twice a month. I saw these payrolls were like:
Payroll 1. May 1 to May 15
Payroll 2. May 16 to May 31

Payroll 5. August 16 to August 31
Payroll 6. Sept 1 to Sept 15 -- (My last 4 days from Sept 1 to Sept 4 will fall in this range.)

myze

Apr 8, 2021
Thanks so much!

We got paid twice a month. I saw these payrolls were like:
Payroll 1. May 1 to May 15
Payroll 2. May 16 to May 31

Payroll 5. August 16 to August 31
Payroll 6. Sept 1 to Sept 15 -- (My last 4 days from Sept 1 to Sept 4 will fall in this range.)
Yeah that's tricky. It's best if you don't go over 40 hours for your payroll 6. It can raise red flag if you do. So from sept 1-8th limit your hours to 20 hours. You'll eventually able to work more once you graduate so it's better to keep your records clean until then.

Again consult with your college's international student coordinator, they usually know answers to these type of questions.

tanny_ca

Sep 6, 2019
Yeah that's tricky. It's best if you don't go over 40 hours for your payroll 6. It can raise red flag if you do. So from sept 1-8th limit your hours to 20 hours. You'll eventually able to work more once you graduate so it's better to keep your records clean until then.

Again consult with your college's international student coordinator, they usually know answers to these type of questions.
Thanks so much!
As I will quit at the end of Sept 4, and I have no plan to work from then on.
So my working days during September will be only Sept 1, Sept 2, Sept 3 and Sept 4.
It will be 4 days * 7 hours/day = 28 hours in the September, which is less than 40 hours, however, it will still be more than 20 hours.
(I noticed that you mentioned that " So from sept 1-8th limit your hours to 20 hours." )

Yes, I consulted the international student advisor, and he just said that it is okay to work full time until September 6. No more discussion about the hours on the last payroll.

Reactions: myze and canuck78