+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student Working in Canada

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Hi, I just want to ask if I can work in Canada as an international student (35hrs/week on campus) and at the same time work in another country as a consultant? The company does not have an office in Canada, and the salary is in another currency.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I just want to ask if I can work in Canada as an international student (35hrs/week on campus) and at the same time work in another country as a consultant? The company does not have an office in Canada, and the salary is in another currency.

Thank you
As long as they have no Canadian customers / clients, then yes, you can work unlimited hours for them.

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
As long as they have no Canadian customers / clients, then yes, you can work unlimited hours for them.
Absolutely none. I'm planning to invite my wife as a visitor here in Canada, can I declare that in my letter of invitation to strengthen our financials?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Absolutely none. I'm planning to invite my wife as a visitor here in Canada, can I declare that in my letter of invitation to strengthen our financials?
How does inviting her here strengthen financials because she will not be working. Apply for a SOWP.

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
How does inviting her here strengthen financials because she will not be working. Apply for a SOWP.
What I mean to strengthen our financials is to declare in the invitation letter that I am working here in Canada and in another country.

Before, we applied for an SP (me) and OWP (for my wife), and we got rejected because the visa office was not satisfied that we will go back to our country after my study period. Then I re-applied after a week or 2 without my wife and got approved.

In this case, is it better to apply for a SOWP rather than a visitor visa? What we are thinking is going with a visitor visa and once she's here we will apply for a SOWP.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What I mean to strengthen our financials is to declare in the invitation letter that I am working here in Canada and in another country.

Before, we applied for an SP (me) and OWP (for my wife), and we got rejected because the visa office was not satisfied that we will go back to our country after my study period. Then I re-applied after a week or 2 without my wife and got approved.

In this case, is it better to apply for a SOWP rather than a visitor visa? What we are thinking is going with a visitor visa and once she's here we will apply for a SOWP.
Saying in a letter stating that you are a full time student and working two jobs to afford your program doesn’t show strong financials. Maybe you were approved because your wife is remaining in your home country so you will return to your home country after your studies. She is your tie to return. You started another post wits the same question and have answered it.

Reactions: YVR123

adcastro

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Saying in a letter stating that you are a full time student and working two jobs to afford your program doesn’t show strong financials. Maybe you were approved because your wife is remaining in your home country so you will return to your home country after your studies. She is your tie to return. You started another post wits the same question and have answered it.
Yup, that's what we are thinking about why I got approved. Any advise on what we can do to have my wife's visitor visa application a higher chance of approval?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yup, that's what we are thinking about why I got approved. Any advise on what we can do to have my wife's visitor visa application a higher chance of approval?
Posted in another thread - strong ties to home country since you are in Canada (job letter with leave, properties, loans), travel history to visa countries, funds (not part of study permit approval), strong reasons to visit (prove coming to visit and not stay). She should be applying for SOWP.

May 25, 2022
Hi,
Really it is legal to work for another country (other than canada) being a Canadian International Student? I want to know that how to file the tax here in Canada?