+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student working as a nanny eligible for HCCP?

Saam_Nepal

Mar 6, 2015
Hi! My niece, who is an international student, works as a part time nanny in Canada. Is she eligible to apply for PR under Home child care provider pilot program (with experience category) once she has accumulated enough hours? Or is this program only for those who has work permit as a home child care provider?

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You will have to look into what this means on their website:
  • Any work experience you had while you were a full-time student doesn’t count.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/caregivers/child-care-home-support-worker/complete-experience-eligibility.html#experience

I interpret it to mean that after she gets a PGWP, she can start counting those hours but not while she is a full-time student.
The program ends next year, early in the summer.
This is the right interpretation. Work experience while on the study permit doesn't count. Work experience while on the PGWP does count.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi! My niece, who is an international student, works as a part time nanny in Canada. Is she eligible to apply for PR under Home child care provider pilot program (with experience category) once she has accumulated enough hours? Or is this program only for those who has work permit as a home child care provider?
If she’s working for as a nanny then I’d assume the employer has hired her under a caregiver payroll account with the CRA ?

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
If she’s working for as a nanny then I’d assume the employer has hired her under a caregiver payroll account with the CRA ?
The CRA number is of less importance in the direct to PR category. However, if they are doing gaining experience, they would need to do the CRA number because the offer of employment form requires it. Most legitimate businesses will have the CRA number. However, there is the possibility of an independent contractor scenario which generates a T4A. If the HSWP/HCCP candidate has been filing their own taxes from gross income received in cash, they won't have a T4 but they will have an NOA and T4A to show as proof of experience along with an experience letter from the employer.

While there isn't something called a caregiver payroll account, if the person has an LMIA-based work permit or a PGWP, they are legitimately working in Canada. How the payroll is settled has so many unconventional possibilities, though. Some people get cheques straight from the long term care insurance of the "patient" or they get government cheques directly sent to them as independent contractors for those "patients" who get government subsidy for their PSWs (HSWs). This is, of course, less common in HCCP that doesn't involve disabled children.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The CRA number is of less importance in the direct to PR category. However, if they are doing gaining experience, they would need to do the CRA number because the offer of employment form requires it. Most legitimate businesses will have the CRA number. However, there is the possibility of an independent contractor scenario which generates a T4A. If the HSWP/HCCP candidate has been filing their own taxes from gross income received in cash, they won't have a T4 but they will have an NOA and T4A to show as proof of experience along with an experience letter from the employer.

While there isn't something called a caregiver payroll account, if the person has an LMIA-based work permit or a PGWP, they are legitimately working in Canada. How the payroll is settled has so many unconventional possibilities, though. Some people get cheques straight from the long term care insurance of the "patient" or they get government cheques directly sent to them as independent contractors for those "patients" who get government subsidy for their PSWs (HSWs). This is, of course, less common in HCCP that doesn't involve disabled children.

“While there isn't something called a caregiver payroll account”

You’re inherently incorrect in that statement.
There are multiple classifications within the CRA in connection to payroll accounts. Caregivers been only one . Regular being another , reduced EI being another, and there are others. Issuing a T4A is not mandatory. T4A are used to track money . Issued if the payments are over $500 or tax deductions made , or not at all. The issuance of a T4A is not mandatory nor automatic

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is your niece reporting this income and paying taxes on it? If she is planning on counting the time as a nanny after she graduates or count work hours it is even more important that she be declaring any cash income.

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
“While there isn't something called a caregiver payroll account”

You’re inherently incorrect in that statement.
There are multiple classifications within the CRA in connection to payroll accounts. Caregivers been only one . Regular being another , reduced EI being another, and there are others. Issuing a T4A is not mandatory. T4A are used to track money . Issued if the payments are over $500 or tax deductions made , or not at all. The issuance of a T4A is not mandatory nor automatic
You will have to have a T4A in order to show proof of work experience for the PR. It is not automatic but it is mandatory for this program.
I myself have a payroll tax number as well as a business ID. In my payroll account, I do not see any caregiver payroll classification. The caregiver amount referenced in the Federal TD1 has nothing to do with hiring an outside caregiver. It is not its own category in the payroll system.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/canada-caregiver-amount.html

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78