+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student with Canadian spouse and interesting job offer

Ricster

Oct 30, 2017
Hey folks!

I have a bit specific case and I'd be grateful if you could help me.

I'm an international student and I am literally at the end of my studies (I have only a few weeks left until my graduation). I'm enrolled in a 1-year post-graduate diploma. I'm also newly married and my wife is a Canadian citizen.

Due to the structure of my study program, I'm only eligible for 1-year PGWP and my wife and I are currently working on family sponsorship application.

Recently, I got an amazing job offer from a giant Canadian finance company in Toronto and they are offering me more than 2x average new grad salary + a ton of benefits (I've passed 4 interviews with them to get this offer). The problem is, the start date of the job is August 2019, the contract is for 2 years and they want me to present at least 2-year PGWP prior to August 2019. They officially sent me the employment letter and this 2-year+ condition is in the letter. I've asked HR that if they'd be willing to do LMIA, they said no.

I don't have a prior work experience so I'm not eligible for express entry.

I have some questions about my situation:

1- What is the duration of OWP when applied with family sponsorship? Is there an end date or can I work until I get PR from the family sponsorship?
2- After we apply for family sponsorship and OWP, is there any way for me the proof the company that we completed our applications and they are in progress?
3- Since we are going to apply for family sponsorship and OWP before my graduation, can I still apply for PGWP?
4- How would OWP and PGWP affect each other? Would I lose my PGWP if I'm granted OWP or vice versa?
5- In any case, can I use the job offer to strength my applications?
6- Can you think of any other way or strategy for me to not to miss this job offer?

The offer I get from them is pretty amazing and it's unlikely that I can any other new graduate offer like this. So my wife and I doing our best to not to miss this opportunity.

Glossary:
LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment
OWP - Open Work Permit
PGWP - Post-Graduation Work Permit

Last edited:

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hey folks!

I'm an international student and my literally at the end of my studies (I have only a few weeks left until my graduation). I'm enrolled in a 1-year post-graduate diploma. I'm also newly married and my wife is a Canadian citizen.

Due to the structure of my study program, I'm only eligible for 1-year PGWP and my wife and I are currently working on family sponsorship application.

Recently, I got an amazing job offer from a giant Canadian finance company in Toronto and they are offering me more than 2x average new grad salary + a ton of benefits (I've passed 4 interviews with them to get this offer). The problem is, the start date of the job is August 2019, the contract is for 2 years and they want me to present at least 2-year PGWP prior to August 2019. They officially sent me the employment letter and this 2-year+ condition is in the letter. I've asked HR about if they'd be willing to LMIA, they said no.

1- If we also apply for an OWP with family sponsorship at the same time, what would be the duration of OWP?
2- After we apply for family sponsorship and OWP, is there any way for me the proof the company that we completed our applications and they are in progress?
3- Since we are going to apply for family sponsorship and OWP before my graduation, can I still apply for PGWP?
4- How would OWP and PGWP affect each other? Would I lose my PGWP if I'm granted OWP or vice versa?
5- What is the duration of OWP when applied with family sponsorship? Is there an end date or can I work until I get PR from the family sponsorship?
6- In any case, can I use the job offer to strength my applications?
7- Can you think of any other way or strategy for me to not to miss this job offer?

The offer I get from them pretty amazing and it's unlikely that I can any other new graduate offer like this. So my wife and I doing our best to not to miss this offer.
Well it is all very nice. BUT they have not made you a good faith offer have they? I hope you made it amply clear to them you have time and LMIA limitations, because if they don't know clearly they will not make adjustments. It seems very strange to me a large organization would send you a killer offer yet not handle the immigration issues properly. It is like saying, "we can't hire him" due to immigration; send him a letter anyhow. It just doesn't make sense. If you do not meet the requirements of the Government they CAN'T hire you. They would be breaking the law. I detect a scent of scam here. Also why double salary for a new graduate from a big Canadian Financial Institution; they just don't do that. They are not an IT start up.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey folks!

I'm an international student and I am literally at the end of my studies (I have only a few weeks left until my graduation). I'm enrolled in a 1-year post-graduate diploma. I'm also newly married and my wife is a Canadian citizen.

Recently, I got an amazing job offer from a giant Canadian finance company in Toronto and they are offering me more than 2x average new grad salary + a ton of benefits (I've passed 4 interviews with them to get this offer). The problem is, the start date of the job is August 2019, the contract is for 2 years and they want me to present at least 2-year PGWP prior to August 2019. They officially sent me the employment letter and this 2-year+ condition is in the letter. I've asked HR that if they'd be willing to do LMIA, they said no.

1- What is the duration of OWP when applied with family sponsorship? Is there an end date or can I work until I get PR from the family sponsorship?
5- In any case, can I use the job offer to strength my applications?
6- Can you think of any other way or strategy for me to not to miss this job offer?

The offer I get from them is pretty amazing and it's unlikely that I can any other new graduate offer like this. So my wife and I doing our best to not to miss this opportunity.

Glossary:
LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment
OWP - Open Work Permit
PGWP - Post-Graduation Work Permit
Hi

1. Generally, 2 years. However, it can be for less.

2. You could show AOR after about 8 weeks but it likely will mean nothing to the company.

3. Yes, you can apply for a PGWP.

4. You can't hold both permits. The PGWP will likely be approved first. When the OWP is approved, the PGWP will be cancelled.

5. The joh offer has zero effect on either work permit app.

6. Get your inland PR and OWP app in ASAP. Make sure it is fully complete, all signatures, all fees paid etc. The OWP is issued in about 3-4 months.

Reactions: Bryanna