+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student wife is pregnant while studying in Canada

jasveen13

Mar 7, 2020
You need to check with your UHIP plan. Assume it may also be based on whether you are a student at the time.
I am studying in a college, i have a student insurance but it do not cover my hospital cost, because i was pregnant before coming to canada.
insurance covers if it happens after coming to canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am studying in a college, i have a student insurance but it do not cover my hospital cost, because i was pregnant before coming to canada.
insurance covers if it happens after coming to canada.
You hadn’t mentioned you arrived already pregnant. Then unfortunately you will have to pay the costs yourself. Most hospitals require a deposit of around 5k before coming to their hospital. You should plan for 7-15k for an uncomplicated delivery or c-section or more if there are any complications. You are usually released from the hospital in 24 hours although maybe a bit longer with the c-section and you must bring a carseat to take your child home.

jasveen13

Mar 7, 2020
You hadn’t mentioned you arrived already pregnant. Then unfortunately you will have to pay the costs yourself. Most hospitals require a deposit of around 5k before coming to their hospital. You should plan for 7-15k for an uncomplicated delivery or c-section or more if there are any complications. You are usually released from the hospital in 24 hours although maybe a bit longer with the c-section and you must bring a carseat to take your child home.
could you please tell me what's the health care system for international students in Quebec ?

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
will this also impact PGWP? because you have to take off from school which means you will not be full time student? Anyone know about this??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
will this also impact PGWP? because you have to take off from school which means you will not be full time student? Anyone know about this??
Usually you can ask your school for a semester off for medical leave. Would avoid pregnancy if possible while you are a student. Babies tend not to arrive on the first week of the semester so it can really complicate things because some courses are only offered certain times of the year. As OP has already found out she didn’t qualify for insurance coverage. You also won’t qualify for maternity payment or child benefit. On top of that newborns are exhausting so having to study full-time and need to pay for childcare during school can be both physically and financially stressful. If you are doing something like a PhD that tends to be more flexible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Usually you can ask your school for a semester off for medical leave. Would avoid pregnancy if possible while you are a student. Babies tend not to arrive on the first week of the semester so it can really complicate things because some courses are only offered certain times of the year. As OP has already found out she didn’t qualify for insurance coverage. You also won’t qualify for maternity payment or child benefit. On top of that newborns are exhausting so having to study full-time and need to pay for childcare during school can be both physically and financially stressful. If you are doing something like a PhD that tends to be more flexible.

Students who have worked the qualifying hours can get EI. They can also get CCB if they have been in Canada for at least 18 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Students who have worked the qualifying hours can get EI. They can also get CCB if they have been in Canada for at least 18 months.

Was referring more to cases like this where women arrive pregnant or get pregnant at the beginning of their studies. In this case @jasveen13 is unlikely to qualify for EI, doesn’t qualify for CCB, has no insurance and may not have her husband in Canada for the birth. Some programs are not as flexible about time off because of how courses are scheduled and people may be under financial pressure to continue their studies because being at home with a new baby while not working is expensive especially while not being able to work and with lots of expenses related to a baby. In general if planning a pregnancy it makes life so much harder to have a child when you are a student. Especially with the high cost of living and childcare it makes sense to get established, have some savings, make sure your partner is in Canada and is employed, you have medical insurance, etc. Honestly most Canadians struggle to cover their costs with both parents working and 1 or 2 children in childcare. You also have to remember that pregnancy may not be easy you could end up on bed rest for weeks to months or you can even be hospitalized. Unfortunately some children are not born healthy and may need to be in the NICU or could have longer term medical issues that may make returning to studies difficult. All good reasons that if planning it makes more sense to do it when you have the funds and more flexibility to take time if needed especially if you can qualify for (short term disability)

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I agree, that if you came to study then finish it first but again things happen and life is unpredictable. I was more concerned about PGWP eligibility and SOWP extension, if there will be any impact on that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I agree, that if you came to study then finish it first but again things happen and life is unpredictable. I was more concerned about PGWP eligibility and SOWP extension, if there will be any impact on that?
It could. It depends on how the school records the leave and how the visa officer sees the situation. Not every school gives approved leave in this situation.

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
It could. It depends on how the school records the leave and how the visa officer sees the situation. Not every school gives approved leave in this situation.
That is what I thought. like if you are in accelerated/fast track course where you don't get summer off, in that case I believe school won't let you take off.