+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student wants to divorce in Canada

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
Hello,
I am international student in Canada. My wife wants to get divorced. We came together in Canada with me study permit and my wife in visitor visa. We applied together, my wife as my dependent. My wife changed to Open Work Permit based on my status in Canada (Spouse of Full-time graduate students gets open work permit). We married in 2010 before we came to Canada. We are married for 4 years. Both of our visas will expire in the next year August. Actually her visa is based on my visa.

Now our situation is not really going well. I know, if I divorce, I have no problem in my immigration status. But what happens to my wife? As soon as I report CIC about my status, her work permit may have problem. She may need to get new status or leave Canada. She does NOT really want to leave Canada. She wants to stay in Work permit or other possible status.

Since easy ground to divorce is separation, what will be the status of her after separation, and because she is my dependent, do I have to take financial responsibilities?

Anyone can give any suggestions or anticipate conditions?

Thank you for your replies and all replies are appreciated.

sikanderv

Star Member
Jun 5, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2014
IELTS Request
8 overall (R9 L8.5 S7.5 W7)
File Transfer...
25-07-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-06-2014
Passport Req..
With application
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Yet to decide
richard1234 said:
Hello,
I am international student in Canada. My wife wants to get divorced. We came together in Canada with me study permit and my wife in visitor visa. We applied together, my wife as my dependent. My wife changed to Open Work Permit based on my status in Canada (Spouse of Full-time graduate students gets open work permit). We married in 2010 before we came to Canada. We are married for 4 years. Both of our visas will expire in the next year August. Actually her visa is based on my visa.

Now our situation is not really going well. I know, if I divorce, I have no problem in my immigration status. But what happens to my wife? As soon as I report CIC about my status, her work permit may have problem. She may need to get new status or leave Canada. She does NOT really want to leave Canada. She wants to stay in Work permit or other possible status.

Since easy ground to divorce is separation, what will be the status of her after separation, and because she is my dependent, do I have to take financial responsibilities?

Anyone can give any suggestions or anticipate conditions?

Thank you for your replies and all replies are appreciated.
Have you thought of consulting a lawyer, especially one dealing with immigration issues?

Enoch singapore

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
hi richard

i will advise you don't look for divorce, try to save your relationship.

enroll yourself in landmark forum in canada and i hope it will improve bonding between u and wife in just 3 days .

here is link for u if u r interested

http://www.landmarkworldwide.com/

coolraman

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad india
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
Hi Richard,

I hope you can get through your problem soon.
I have a case like yours where in I have received an admission letter from a Canadian university. I want to also take my wife along as a dependent but on open work permit.
Can you please let me know if applying for an open work permit enough for her or does she also need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa.
Also is it better to apply together or separate.
Let me know if there are any other things to be considered.

Best Regards,
Raman.

Enoch singapore

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
hi richard

i know you both were going through hard face of your life but believe me if you enroll in this forum your life would be different with your wife .

i am not doing any publishing or marketing of this forum. I am also in same situation like yours but related to my career and this forum changed my life. i have done this forum last week from singapore and it has branches world wide. so being human i would like to request u that you to can save your relationship through this awesome forum.

tartar21

May 30, 2016
Hi there,

Just to know, how you manage to solve this situation? and how she managed to keep working in Canada? I'm passing through a similar situation, but in my case I'm the dependent with an OWP.

Regards,

Geanie

Aug 14, 2016
Hi Tartar,

I also am in a similar situation to you. Just wondering if you have managed to resolve things? If so how?

Thank you