Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Hi,
Can i visit home after completing my graduation and before applying for post grad work permit?
I am planning to stay home for one and half month.
Here is my condition:
Planning to go home: December 20, 2015(my semester will end this time)
will get letter of graduation completion: first week of January 2016
Visa status: Multiple entry, S-1 student category
visa expiry date: 31 March 2016

Study permit expiry: 31 March 2016 (which said this does not authorize re-entry. as far as i know this sentence does not matter for my re-entry but visa single or multiple matters. correct me if i am wrong)

I have wok permit which i got for my co-op
work permit expiry: 31 March 2016

So here is my question:
1. Can i go home on December 20,2015 and come back to Canada on February 10,2016 without any problem and i will apply for post grad work permit after coming back(note: i will get my degree completion letter on the first week of january 2016) so according to cic i have to apply for pgwp within 90 days of my grad completion so in that case i am okay
BUT
my main concern is, will they ask me why i am coming back as i have completed my graduation?

2. Another option is,
i can apply for my pgwp in the first week of january and go home when it's in process but many people are saying(in forum) it's not a good idea.

So i am confused, which option is safe for me

(I am committed with someone so i have to go home as soon as possible after my graduation. )

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Aref jadallah said:
It is really important question .. I might be in the same situation as well .

I hope we find a fair answer .

Good luck Rahman !
Thank You Aref.
I guess many of us will face this situation :)
I searched a lot in this forum/google but did not get any reasonable solution :(

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

rahman2 said:
Hi,
Can i visit home after completing my graduation and before applying for post grad work permit?
I am planning to stay home for one and half month.
Here is my condition:
Planning to go home: December 20, 2015(my semester will end this time)
will get letter of graduation completion: first week of January 2016
Visa status: Multiple entry, S-1 student category
visa expiry date: 31 March 2016

Study permit expiry: 31 March 2016 (which said this does not authorize re-entry. as far as i know this sentence does not matter for my re-entry but visa single or multiple matters. correct me if i am wrong)

I have wok permit which i got for my co-op
work permit expiry: 31 March 2016

So here is my question:
1. Can i go home on December 20,2015 and come back to Canada on February 10,2016 without any problem and i will apply for post grad work permit after coming back(note: i will get my degree completion letter on the first week of january 2016) so according to cic i have to apply for pgwp within 90 days of my grad completion so in that case i am okay
BUT
my main concern is, will they ask me why i am coming back as i have completed my graduation?

2. Another option is,
i can apply for my pgwp in the first week of january and go home when it's in process but many people are saying(in forum) it's not a good idea.

So i am confused, which option is safe for me

(I am committed with someone so i have to go home as soon as possible after my graduation. )

If you don't mind a possible cross-questioning by IO at POE, option 1 is good. Otherwise, its strongly advised to apply for PGWP before you travel outside of Canada.

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
J5M said:
Hi,

If you don't mind a possible cross-questioning by IO at POE, option 1 is good. Otherwise, its strongly advised to apply for PGWP before you travel outside of Canada.
Thank you J5m for your kind reply :)
I have no problem to answer questions but if they ask me, you are done with your graduation why you are coming back?
If i say, for my post grad work experience. will that be a legitimate answer?

2. If i apply for my pgwp and then immediately go to visit my country(the usual processing time of pgwp is 45 days and if i come back before 45 days).
is that okay?

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
proactivejaf said:
Hi,

I am facing the same situation. Can you please answer me Rahman that how did your experience go?
I am planning to go on december 2015 so i don't have any idea yet.
What i know, Technically you can visit home as long as your study permit is valid but most of the people are recommending to do it at your own risk.There is no direct answer in cic website.
Thanks

proactivejaf

Aug 17, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have just completed my studies in Canada and willing to go back home for a month. My study permit and TRV expires on 30 the March 2016. I am just worried that on re entry they might ask me that since I am done with my studies, so your study permit and TRV is null and void. Any experience or authentic advice is greatly appreciated.
My graduation ceremony is in November and I will come before that. I cant apply for PGWP until October and I am thinking of applying it once I return.
Should I apply for it and then leave?
Or Should I apply it once I return?
Or Should I just not go back home beacuse it is too risky?
I need some sincere advice and real experience
Thank you so much!

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Just a quick update :) Thought to share :)
I went home on 13 December 2015 just after my final exam and came back on last week of January.
I did not face any problem at the border security.
So i think we can go back home just after our graduation and before applying for PGWP But you have to make sure your TRV is valid when you are back in Canada.

Thanks

Reactions: jagdeep22

diegotenorio3

Mar 1, 2016
rahman2,

You have a Co-op permission, right?
Did you have some proble applying for a PGWP?

I enrolled for this program here:

conestogac.on.ca/fulltime/0066C.jsp

They said that I'm eligible to apply for a PGWP up to one year in length.

However, I read in some places that with a Co-op program, you can't apply for this permission.

What do you say?