+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student to refugee claimant

Mar 9, 2022
Greetings,
I arrived in Canada as an International student and did 3 semesters, everything was going well until my dad started losing all his business due to corruption and abuse of power in my country, my parents were receiving life threats as well. My parents had a TRV before so now they have fled from my home country and came to canada, they are planing on applying for asylum.

my question is as my dad lost his business and all in his home country he is no more able to may large sums of tuition for me now, and I really want to continue studying. As I am also included in the refugee claim, will I be eligible for paying domestic tuition?
Thank you!

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015 (Urdu Nikah Nama)
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015
Greetings,
I arrived in Canada as an International student and did 3 semesters, everything was going well until my dad started losing all his business due to corruption and abuse of power in my country, my parents were receiving life threats as well. My parents had a TRV before so now they have fled from my home country and came to canada, they are planing on applying for asylum.

my question is as my dad lost his business and all in his home country he is no more able to may large sums of tuition for me now, and I really want to continue studying. As I am also included in the refugee claim, will I be eligible for paying domestic tuition?
Thank you!
if your protected person (if your parents case is passed) then you will be eligible for domestic tuition and you can apply for students loan. Right now you are still considered international student. Keep in mind you will need study permit after you become a protected person

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Greetings,

Thank you!
To the best of my knowledge, you'll only qualify for domestic fees once your family's claim is accepted / you are a protected person. So for now you will continue to pay international fees.

Reactions: sohaib1
Mar 9, 2022
if your protected person (if your parents case is passed) then you will be eligible for domestic tuition and you can apply for students loan. Right now you are still considered international student. Keep in mind you will need study permit after you become a protected person
How long does it take to be recognized as a protected person?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Greetings,

Thank you!
To be clear, you will be included in refugee claim as Associate Claimant? I'm not sure of your age though and if you qualify to be included as dependant. For tuition fee, you'll still pay as International Student. Some DLI doesnt have treat "protected status" as Domestic Student, check with student advisor

Mar 9, 2022
To be clear, you will be included in refugee claim as Associate Claimant? I'm not sure of your age though and if you qualify to be included as dependant. For tuition fee, you'll still pay as International Student. Some DLI doesnt have treat "protected status" as Domestic Student, check with student advisor
i am 21 years old!

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015
1 week back they applied,i don’t know that an acknowledgment of claim is, can you please explain me the entire process? Thank you!
how did your parents make the claim, did your parents made the claim at airport or regional office

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The asylum process is often a multi year process and even longer if you are initially denied. If your whole family has visas you're unlikely from a country that usually qualifies for expedited processing. Depending on your situation you may need to stop studying and work once you receive a work permit if you can'tafford international tuition.

Mar 9, 2022
The asylum process is often a multi year process and even longer if you are initially denied. If your whole family has visas you're unlikely from a country that usually qualifies for expedited processing. Depending on your situation you may need to stop studying and work once you receive a work permit if you can'tafford international tuition.
will I be able to study and work full time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
will I be able to study and work full time?
You already stopped studying and your school should have reported that that you stopped studying. When you get a WP you're entitled to work. If you get a study permit you're entitled to study but at an international student rate. Your wife had a study petmit that entitled her to work 20 hrs/ week when studying full-time so she shouldn't be working.