+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student Returning to Canada

cannvisa002

Nov 30, 2022
Hi, I was granted a study permit for doing my Master's in Canada. I landed and started my classes in Canada as well, but I had to return back immediately after the commencement of classes due to some foreseen circumstances within my family. Before I left Canada, the student coordinator assured to give me admission for the next intake. I wonder if my visa would have any kind of issue while I'm returning to Canada, the expiry as per the permit is on 31/12/2023 (which means it's still valid). I was told by the uni's student coordinator that the permit would be extended at the airport immigration as per the new course schedule and there shouldn't be an issue. When I log in online using my GCKey, that's also showing that "your document is valid". But, I'd like to re-ensure that I'm good to fly back by September 2023 and I seek the experts' opinion here as I'm pretty naive in this subject. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.

Last edited:

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Did the student coordinator or institution give you a new LoA (Letter of Admission) for the course, starting in Sept 2023? Also, what was the semester you attended a few classes, the winter (January) or Summer (May) intake?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi, I was granted a study permit for doing my Master's in Canada. I landed and started my classes in Canada as well, but I had to return back immediately after the commencement of classes due to some foreseen circumstances within my family. Before I left Canada, the student coordinator assured to give me admission for the next intake. I wonder if my visa would have any kind of issue while I'm returning to Canada, the expiry as per the permit is on 31/12/2023 (which means it's still valid). I was told by the uni's student coordinator that the permit would be extended at the airport immigration as per the new course schedule and there shouldn't be an issue. When I log in online using my GCKey, that's also showing that "your document is valid". But, I'd like to re-ensure that I'm good to fly back by September 2023 and I seek the experts' opinion here as I'm pretty naive in this subject. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.
You have to clarify a few things. A study visa and study permit are 2 different things. The visa is the counterfoil in your passport, permit is what is issued at the POE. Which one or do both expire at the same time, you are talking as if they are the same thing, if your visa is a study visa is it a single or multiple entry. Where are you from, do you have a visa or do you have an eTa? Did you apply for and get a deferment for your courses, did they issue you a new LOA.

When was the initial intake and what is the date for the new intake. As far as I know you will need a study permit extension, I am not aware of CBSA issuing extensions at the POE. If your new intake is not in Sept I doubt they will let you into the country if it's for winter intake. They will want to know what you are going to do for the 3 months and how you will support yourself.

Last edited:

cannvisa002

Nov 30, 2022
Did the student coordinator or institution give you a new LoA (Letter of Admission) for the course, starting in Sept 2023? Also, what was the semester you attended a few classes, the winter (January) or Summer (May) intake?
Yes, a new LoA will be sent soon for the Sept. intake. I attended a few classes during the Jan. intake.

cannvisa002

Nov 30, 2022
You have to clarify a few things. A study visa and study permit are 2 different things. The visa is the counterfoil in your passport, permit is what is issued at the POE. Which one or do both expire at the same time, you are talking as if they are the same thing, if your visa is a study visa is it a single or multiple entry. Where are you from, do you have a visa or do you have an eTa? Did you apply for and get a deferment for your courses, did they issue you a new LOA.

When was the initial intake and what is the date for the new intake. As far as I know you will need a study permit extension, I am not aware of CBSA issuing extensions at the POE. If your new intake is not in Sept I doubt they will let you into the country if it's for winter intake. They will want to know what you are going to do for the 3 months and how you will support yourself.
Sorry, if I was not clear. Yes, the permit issued at POE and the counterfoil expire at the same time. I'm from India and I applied for a visa (not eTa). The uni issued a new LOA. The initial intake was in Jan. and I'm planning to fly back for the Sept. intake itself.

On cic website, it states study permit becomes invalid after 90 days of completion of the program, but no rule regarding the drop.

Last edited:

Fabian_Kittle

Oct 3, 2022
Hey there, Congratulations on getting your study permit for your Master's program in Canada! It's unfortunate that you had to leave due to family circumstances, but it's great that the student coordinator assured you of admission for the next intake. Based on the information you provided, your study permit is still valid until December 31, 2023. That's a good sign! The online status showing "your document is valid" is also reassuring. To ensure a smooth return, I recommend reaching out to the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country. They can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding any potential issues with your visa when returning to Canada. It's always a good idea to consult with an immigration lawyer or authorized representative who specializes in student visas. They can give you expert advice tailored to your situation and guide you through the necessary steps for a hassle-free return to Canada. Keep all your important documents handy, including your study permit, admission letter, and any correspondence with the university. These will be useful when you go through immigration at the airport. Remember, it's normal to have questions and seek expert opinions when dealing with visa matters. Stay proactive, stay informed, and everything should fall into place. Wishing you the best for your Master's program, and I hope you can fly back to Canada by September 2023 without any issues. Take care!

Omoola1228

May 13, 2023
Please I am a May intake in CBU Canada and I am in Canada already though I have not resumed because I wish to change my institution, please how can I go about it? Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Please I am a May intake in CBU Canada and I am in Canada already though I have not resumed because I wish to change my institution, please how can I go about it? Thanks
So you are studying at CBU right now? If you have not studied at CBU, then you need a new study permit. If you have studied there for a semester, you can change DLI. Haven’t you claimed asylum yet?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there a reason you want to study at CBU and have you secured housing in advance? Without securing housing it is not a good idea to transfer? Do you need employment as well? This is a small city with a large volume of international students so there is a lack of housing a jobs. Most Canadians attending live in the local area.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since you never completed a semester you could technically need to be reapply for a new permit. It is tough to say whether you were logged as approved academic leave (unlikely given you didn’t complete much schooling, deferment, withdrawal, etc. Would suggest contacting IRCC and/or your local embassy to confirm that your study permit wasn’t cancelled and attach your new LOA. No matter what you will need to apply to extend your study permit. If your current permit is still valid I would apply for the extension soon after arrival because it can take many months to be processed. You will have implied status while the processing is completed.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Omoola1228

May 13, 2023
So you are studying at CBU right now? If you have not studied at CBU, then you need a new study permit. If you have studied there for a semester, you can change DLI. Haven’t you claimed asylum yet?
I have not resumed at CBU because I have deferred my admission to Sept intake but I dont want to resume to the CBU. No, I have not claimed asylum yet just giving it a second thought if i can get cheaper school.

Omoola1228

May 13, 2023
Is there a reason you want to study at CBU and have you secured housing in advance? Without securing housing it is not a good idea to transfer? Do you need employment as well? This is a small city with a large volume of international students so there is a lack of housing a jobs. Most Canadians attending live in the local area.
I want to change from CBU to another school because no job and the school is too expensive

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have not resumed at CBU because I have deferred my admission to Sept intake but I dont want to resume to the CBU. No, I have not claimed asylum yet just giving it a second thought if i can get cheaper school.
so have you ever studied at CBU? You need a new study permit if you have never actively studied at CBU. What are you going to do until September?

Reactions: YVR123

Myahudi Jr II

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
so have you ever studied at CBU? You need a new study permit if you have never actively studied at CBU. What are you going to do until September?
A bunch of International students admitted at CBU aren't attending the school, rather than going to other colleges and they are working full time during that period of not attending school

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A bunch of International students admitted at CBU aren't attending the school, rather than going to other colleges and they are working full time during that period of not attending school
If not attending school, CBU must notify the IRCC so the study permits are cancelled. If they never studied at CBU, they would need a new study permit. If their permits were cancelled or never went to school their but changed schools, many students are studying and working illegally in Canada with no status. If they attended for one semester and then changed DLIs through the online forms, then they are okay.