+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student part time work (+20 Hours)

SteveSlim

May 12, 2019
Hello,

In the past, I have worked for a few months more than the allowed 20 hours a week. Once I found out about the part-time limitation, I stopped working that much and went back to 20 hours.

Will this have an impact once I submit my pgwp?

Thank you!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes it can. You were in breach of the conditions imposed on your study permit.

Best Case - they will ignore it
Worst Case - you won't get a PGWP

It depends on IRCC

SteveSlim

May 12, 2019
Yes it can. You were in breach of the conditions imposed on your study permit.

Best Case - they will ignore it
Worst Case - you won't get a PGWP

It depends on IRCC
Thank you for your feedback.
Do you know any cases where it was rejected for such reasons? and in case yes, Is their an appeal process?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Actually, the worst case is that they will cancel your permit (or not give you the PGWP) and ask you to leave Canada. If this happens, there is no appeal process short of asking the Federal Court to hear your case, which is almost guaranteed to be refused. There's no right of appeal for a foreign national in such cases.

And yes, people have had their work permit/study permits cancelled for working illegally and have been asked to leave the country. You can search the forum for such cases.

OTOH, there are people who worked illegally for a bit but still got their PGWP. That's why I said that the best case is that they ignore it.

I have no idea of the likelihood of either possibility. Maybe someone else can help.

Reactions: jddd

Ghufrankhan

Nov 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-14
File Transfer...
21-01-14
Med's Request
06-02-14
Med's Done....
12-2-14
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
24-2-14
LANDED..........
16-07-14
In my opinion, if they haven't sent a notice yet.. they are fine with that. Also depends how much and how long over time you worked.
My friend once worked overtime and his SIN got revoked for like 6 months but everything else went fine.

longvh

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
My supervisor said that within 20 hours a week, I could not work 8 hours a day (for example 8-8-4), but have to work every day at maximum 4 hours a day.

I haven't found any information about that? Is there anyone know where I could find this information?

The 8-8-4 format will be more convenient for me as it reduce commute time and I may allocate my time for study.

Thank for you help.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My supervisor said that within 20 hours a week, I could not work 8 hours a day (for example 8-8-4), but have to work every day at maximum 4 hours a day.

I haven't found any information about that? Is there anyone know where I could find this information?

The 8-8-4 format will be more convenient for me as it reduce commute time and I may allocate my time for study.

Thank for you help.
No, the only rule is that you can't exceed 20 hours a week. How you divide that is up to you.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=496&top=15

There's no "only 4 hours a day rule". Sounds like your supervisor is trying to get you to work five days a week, which is fine, but they shouldn't be claiming that IRCC mandates it. That's not true.

Reactions: longvh