+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student marries an international student

patricknoble

Dec 22, 2017
Hi All,

How are you? I am sharing a friend's situation here in Canada. She is an international student too. She and her boyfriend, who is a new international student too in Canada, are planning to get married next year. To add, my friend is graduating this May 2018 and her school is a recognized institution for the PGWP. What will be her boyfriend's status if they get married and will soon? Can her boyfriend apply for an open work permit when they get married? Is that possible? Pls advice. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

How are you? I am sharing a friend's situation here in Canada. She is an international student too. She and her boyfriend, who is a new international student too in Canada, are planning to get married next year. To add, my friend is graduating this May 2018 and her school is a recognized institution for the PGWP. What will be her boyfriend's status if they get married and will soon? Can her boyfriend apply for an open work permit when they get married? Is that possible? Pls advice. Thanks
Hi

His status doesn't change if they get married.

If she has a PGWP and a NOC A, B or 0 job, her spouse can apply for an OWP based on her status. If she doesn't hold a skilled job, he doesn't qualify for an OWP.

Fernanda

Feb 24, 2018
I’m in a similar situation...
His studies finish in May next year and my in August. I want to become his dependent( spouse) in stop my college for now and be able to work full time and help him pay his college...
is it possible?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I’m in a similar situation...
His studies finish in May next year and my in August. I want to become his dependent( spouse) in stop my college for now and be able to work full time and help him pay his college...
is it possible?
You can apply for an OWP based on his study permit. You need to continue your studies until you actually get the work permit.