+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student: how many hours am I allowed to work during semester break

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
My fall semester ends in April and I know that until then I can work 20 hours per week part time. My next semester is from September, so my question is, from may to august, how many hours am I allowed to work in Canada? Thanks

rajwinder111

Mar 1, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ana786 said:
My fall semester ends in April and I know that until then I can work 20 hours per week part time. My next semester is from September, so my question is, from may to august, how many hours am I allowed to work in Canada? Thanks
You can work full time while break and as much hours you want. no hours limit.

neelpatel19071994

Star Member
Nov 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi- Online
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
19/09/2015
Med's Request
Submitted
Med's Done....
19/10/2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2017
LANDED..........
Soon ( 11th in Apr'17)
ana786 said:
In breaks, you can work as many hours you want.
But some students also got off campus workpermit stating you can work for 40 hours in breaks. Not all students get this.

Most of the students have work permit stating YOU CAN WORK FULL TIME IN BREAKS.
But if any specific number is wrriten then you can legally work to that number max.

Read this for further info.
http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/working-more-than-40-hours-t111846.0.html&grqid=86_OmC7b&hl=en-IN

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

ana786 said:

You can work full time/as many hours you want during your 'scheduled' academic breaks (not just any breaks of your choice).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,

You can work full time/as many hours you want during your 'scheduled' academic breaks (not just any breaks of your choice).
And that is the point if the break is all part of the same course stopping in April and starting again in September then thats fine. If finishing one course in April and starting a completely different one in September then that would not be a scheduled break but a break of the OPs choosing.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
You CAN NOT work as many hours as you want during breaks unless you are a PR or a Citizen, in that case you can work as many hours as your want.

If you are an international student, you can work up to 20hr/week during academic sessions while being a full time student ! If you are not a full time student, you can not work and you are also violating your SP conditions.

You can work up to 40hrs/week during Summer, Chirstmas break etc.. But not more than 40 hours even if your study permit doesn't have this remark !

You are able to go on their website and check the conditions of International Students work permits integrated in their SP.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
YoussefZaky said:
You CAN NOT work as many hours as you want during breaks unless you are a PR or a Citizen, in that case you can work as many hours as your want.

If you are an international student, you can work up to 20hr/week during academic sessions while being a full time student ! If you are not a full time student, you can not work and you are also violating your SP conditions.

You can work up to 40hrs/week during Summer, Chirstmas break etc.. But not more than 40 hours even if your study permit doesn't have this remark !

You are able to go on their website and check the conditions of International Students work permits integrated in their SP.
so that everyone is kept informed do you have an official link that shows maximum 40 hours as the full time definition for students during a break ?
Here is the official CIC manual entry http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp but no mention there of a 40 hr restriction during breaks. There is a restriction on the number of weeks in an academic year can work full time but no definition of full time unless specifically documented on an individual students study permit.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
YoussefZaky said:

Where did you get this information? Even open work permit holders can work as much as they want, and I haven't seen any restrictions about 40 hours for students in scheduled breaks. Please show your source!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is no 40 hour limit. IRCC states only that a student may work full-time during thir scheduled breaks. The general minimum for full-time in Canada is 30 hours/week, with no maximum limit.