+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student Fee Exemption QUEBEC

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Hello,

I am an international student on a student visa, currently in a 3 year program.

I am also married and applying for Permanent Residency under spousal sponsorship. Since I am in Quebec I found out if I have CSQ I could be exempt from international student fees. But I also need a letter from CIC saying im eligible to apply inland, which is pretty redundant since I already sent the application inland and it got AOR so of course im eligible. Has anyone had any experience going through this?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello,

I am an international student on a student visa, currently in a 3 year program.

I am also married and applying for Permanent Residency under spousal sponsorship. Since I am in Quebec I found out if I have CSQ I could be exempt from international student fees. But I also need a letter from CIC saying im eligible to apply inland, which is pretty redundant since I already sent the application inland and it got AOR so of course im eligible. Has anyone had any experience going through this?
McGill seems to have explained this exemption better

https://mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/exemption/csqexemptions

Reactions: Imjennah

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I guess they must mean the AIP? I've never heard of people requesting letters from CIC for this
They said "Letter from CIC attesting that the student is awaiting permanent residency in Canada", I am sorry I do not know what AIP is, since we are not knowledgeable with all the PR application short forms, it would be better to explain so that we could help you out.

Oher than that they don't need any other letter from CIC.

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Sorry its a letter that applicants recieve that say they are Approved In Principle (AIP) for permanent residency.

It usually has wording like "we have determined that you are eligible to apply for permanent residency inside canada"

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Sorry its a letter that applicants recieve that say they are Approved In Principle (AIP) for permanent residency.

It usually has wording like "we have determined that you are eligible to apply for permanent residency inside canada"
No, then that is not the same letter as what they are asking. For CSQ exemption they want a letter stating that you have applied for PR. This letter states that you are only eligible to apply, it does not state that you have applied.

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
No, then that is not the same letter as what they are asking. For CSQ exemption they want a letter stating that you have applied for PR. This letter states that you are only eligible to apply, it does not state that you have applied.
Ah then that would be my Approval of Receipt. Its a letter that states that IRCC has recieved my application. Thanks for your help!

Gooni

Nov 1, 2018
Hello. I know it's a long time since your question but i am in the similar situation. Can you tell if you got the fee exemption with CSQ and AOR? Thanks in advance.

Gooni

Nov 1, 2018
Ah then that would be my Approval of Receipt. Its a letter that states that IRCC has recieved my application. Thanks for your help!
Hello. I know it's a long time since your question but i am in the similar situation. Can you tell if you got the fee exemption with CSQ and AOR? Thanks in advance.