+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student currently in Implied status

thenormal

Nov 22, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'd like some clarifications about my current situation. Any insights or suggestions are very much welcome.

I am an international student from Europe who has been living and studying in Canada for 1 and a half years. My study permit expired on May 16th 2017. On May 10th I applied for a study permit renewal, therefore as of this moment I am under the so called Implied Status.

On this webpage it states that it takes roughly 63 days for the study permit to be renewed when applying online and from within Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

My SIN and provincial health card expired on May 16th, 2017, my driver's licence on the 31st same month. Without the new study permit, I cannot renew any of them.

A few days before my permit expired, I lost my job due to the company going bankrupt. Now, according to the aforementioned website, I should be getting a renewed permit around mid-july. A couple of days ago I got a job offer from another company, as a part-timer. My question is: Now that I'm under implied status, is it possible to get a new job or am I forced to wait until I get confirmation of a successful permit renewal before I can get hired?

Thanks.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am an international student from Europe who has been living and studying in Canada for 1 and a half years. My study permit expired on May 16th 2017. On May 10th I applied for a study permit renewal, therefore as of this moment I am under the so called Implied Status.

My question is: Now that I'm under implied status, is it possible to get a new job or am I forced to wait until I get confirmation of a successful permit renewal before I can get hired?
Hi

You can get a new job now. However, a new company may not accept proof that you have Implied Status and may want to see a valid permit.

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
For your health insurance, it should be possible to get a small extension with the documents proving that you applied for a permit. Check with the office.