+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student common law immigration

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020
Hi Mr. / Ms. ,

I appreciate your time for reading my long story.

I have been studying in Canada as a full time international student for more than two years. I am taking two year diploma program now and in Dean's list in last three semesters. I have work experience in my home country before. I have been doing part time job and paying tax in Toronto since October 2019.

My boyfriend is a PR. We have been living together for one year already. There are two concerns I need help:
1 Last year, my school was in Barrie and he was living in Mississauga. I lived in Barrie for 2 nights a week, and then rest of the days per week I lived in Mississauga with him and his family. We have been planning our future. Was it counted as Common-law since we didn't live together every single night? ( We moved out in December 15, 2019 and living alone now)

2 In September 2019, I extended my study permit. At that time, I didn't know it might be counted as Common-law already, so I filled “Single” on the form for extending study permit. I received new study permit already, but is it
possible to change the status to Common-law now? I didn't want to speak any lie to CIC.

I appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance.

I do apologize if there is any misunderstanding and confusing because of my English.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi Mr. / Ms. ,

I have been Canada as a full time international student for more than two years. I am taking two year diploma program now and in Dean's list in last three semesters. I have work experience in my home country before.

My boyfriend is a PR. We have been living together for
......and your question would be ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, is anyone available to help...?
People offer advice on this forum for free. You may need to wait several hours or even days for a response. If you're looking for an immediate answer - you'll need to hire an immigration lawyer.

To answer your question, it sounds to me like you didn't start living together until December 15, 2019. Until then, you had another address but also stayed with him several nights a week. This won't be counted as living together since you had another address (presumably your were registered with your school at this other address, you received mail to this other address, you paid rent / utilities at this other address, etc.). You'll need to wait until December 15, 2020 before you'll be able to say you are common law.

You were single in September 2019. You aren't common law until you have completed a year of living together.

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020
People offer advice on this forum for free. You may need to wait several hours or even days for a response. If you're looking for an immediate answer - you'll need to hire an immigration lawyer.

To answer your question, it sounds to me like you didn't start living together until December 15, 2019. Until then, you had another address but also stayed with him several nights a week. This won't be counted as living together since you had another address (presumably your were registered with your school at this other address, you received mail to this other address, you paid rent / utilities at this other address, etc.). You'll need to wait until December 15, 2020 before you'll be able to say you are common law.

You were single in September 2019. You aren't common law until you have completed a year of living together.
Thanks for reply. I changed my address to his address last July. In Barrie I only stayed at my friend's place for two nights or so a week. Sometimes I didn't stay overnight in Barrie if school was not busy. Maybe since July, it would be counted? :)

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020

Very helpful information. Thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2 nights a week is still a significant part of the week so wouldn’t count it as common law. My opinion but not a lawyer,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for reply. I changed my address to his address last July. In Barrie I only stayed at my friend's place for two nights or so a week. Sometimes I didn't stay overnight in Barrie if school was not busy. Maybe since July, it would be counted? :)
What other evidence do you have that ties you to his address? Any utility bills / cell phone? What about your bank statements / credits cards? Are his parents willing to sign an affidavit stating that you were living with them from July to December? Did you pay his parents any rent?

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020
What other evidence do you have that ties you to his address? Any utility bills / cell phone? What about your bank statements / credits cards? Are his parents willing to sign an affidavit stating that you were living with them from July to December? Did you pay his parents any rent?
His family members and friends can prove I was living with his family together from July to December. I didn't pay rent but I bought food instead sometimes because I had financial problems, they didn't ask rent from me. I changed my mailing address of my school profile, Walmart Master Card, and the contract( started on Oct. 02, 2019) of my part time job to his address.

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020
Sorry I forgot to answer his family members can sign any document I need.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am going to assume CIC is likely to ask you how you got to Barrie daily from Mississauga if you say you’ve been living in mississauga full-time.

Chloe Jing

Jan 5, 2020
I am going to assume CIC is likely to ask you how you got to Barrie daily from Mississauga if you say you’ve been living in mississauga full-time.
I had a daily carpool who is living in Brampton. Sometimes I took Go train and buses if carpool was not working. Sometimes my boyfriend drove me. Also,there was a ride share page on my school FB page, I looked for ride share there sometimes. It was a very tired and tough year.