+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student - CERB Eligibility

May 10, 2020
Hi,

I am an international student arrived in Jan, 2020. I used to previously live in India and never been to Canada before.
I got a part time job from which I got laid off due to COVID. I have earned around 500 $ in Canada which count as Income and more than 5000 $ back in India which count as International income.

Initially I thought since I did not earn 5000 $ in Canada, I am not eligible. Then some of my friends applied. To be sure, I called up CRA customer care and asked them if I am eligible. I told her I came in Jan, 2020. She asked if I did earn more than 5000 $ back in India which is true. So she told me that my income count towards international income and the 5000$ income eligibility for COVID is not limited to Canadian Income only. So, I am eligible.

I was not sure then as well. I called again, this time agent again told me that I am eligible. I presented 2 cases
Person-1: Person was not in Canada before. Arrived in Jan, 2020. He would file taxes in India in July, 2020. Earned more than 5000 $ in India.
Person-2: Person was in Canada. Went to India to earn money. Earned more than 5000 $ in India. Came back. Would file the taxes in Canada.

For me, Person 2 should be applicable as he seems to be Canadian resident properly, and will file taxes in Canada as well. Also, the money earned will come to Canada.
I am Person 1.

To this as well, customer support agent at CRA told I am eligible. So, I applied for my 1st CERB payment period and received the amount.

Some of my knowns are not applying since they think it is something that they do not qualify for as International Student. Also, one of my friend told that we would have to return 6500 as fine in lieu of 2000 applied for in case we are not eligible. Also, it would create issue in Work Permit/PR.

My questions are :-
1. Whether I am eligible or not ?
2. If I am not eligible in future, how much I will have to return ?
3. Will this create issue in my Work Permit/PR (in case I apply for them) ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am an international student arrived in Jan, 2020. I used to previously live in India and never been to Canada before.
I got a part time job from which I got laid off due to COVID. I have earned around 500 $ in Canada which count as Income and more than 5000 $ back in India which count as International income.

Initially I thought since I did not earn 5000 $ in Canada, I am not eligible. Then some of my friends applied. To be sure, I called up CRA customer care and asked them if I am eligible. I told her I came in Jan, 2020. She asked if I did earn more than 5000 $ back in India which is true. So she told me that my income count towards international income and the 5000$ income eligibility for COVID is not limited to Canadian Income only. So, I am eligible.

I was not sure then as well. I called again, this time agent again told me that I am eligible. I presented 2 cases
Person-1: Person was not in Canada before. Arrived in Jan, 2020. He would file taxes in India in July, 2020. Earned more than 5000 $ in India.
Person-2: Person was in Canada. Went to India to earn money. Earned more than 5000 $ in India. Came back. Would file the taxes in Canada.

For me, Person 2 should be applicable as he seems to be Canadian resident properly, and will file taxes in Canada as well. Also, the money earned will come to Canada.
I am Person 1.

To this as well, customer support agent at CRA told I am eligible. So, I applied for my 1st CERB payment period and received the amount.

Some of my knowns are not applying since they think it is something that they do not qualify for as International Student. Also, one of my friend told that we would have to return 6500 as fine in lieu of 2000 applied for in case we are not eligible. Also, it would create issue in Work Permit/PR.

$500 is not a lot. When did you start working in Canada? When did you stop working? Did your employer give you a ROE?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am Person 1.

There is no $6500 fine. If you received the benefit without qualifying, you will have to pay it back plus some interest. It would not be an issue for immigration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think the $6500 may be the total amount they will apply for. If they don’t qualify and they have received $6500 they will have to repay that with a penalty. Given that you only earned $500 in Canada and are getting much more in CERB I would anticipate having to provide proof that you qualified for CERB. You clearly have not been working for around 20hrs/week since you started school. You say you arrived in January 2020 but when did your full-time classes start?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Think the $6500 may be the total amount they will apply for. If they don’t qualify and they have received $6500 they will have to repay that with a penalty. Given that you only earned $500 in Canada and are getting much more in CERB I would anticipate having to provide proof that you qualified for CERB. You clearly have not been working for around 20hrs/week since you started school. You say you arrived in January 2020 but when did your full-time classes start?
There won't be penalties. It will be the money received plus interest.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There won't be penalties. It will be the money received plus interest.
I guess I considered paying back the interest as a penalty. Will clarify that I mean that paying back what you get from CERB plus interest is what I mean by penalty.

Given that OP has only made $500 in Canada further details are necessary regarding their work history and would expect that CRA will also want more proof if they have earned $500 and are qualifying for significantly more through CERB. Unfortunately many will use the money earned at home as a way to qualify for CERB. Some have not actually earned the money at home.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I am Person 1.

As mentioned, I'd be more worried getting into the cross hairs of the CRA if you recieved monies you weren't eligible for

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I guess I considered paying back the interest as a penalty. Will clarify that I mean that paying back what you get from CERB plus interest is what I mean by penalty.

Given that OP has only made $500 in Canada further details are necessary regarding their work history and would expect that CRA will also want more proof if they have earned $500 and are qualifying for significantly more through CERB. Unfortunately many will use the money earned at home as a way to qualify for CERB. Some have not actually earned the money at home.
Just have to wait and see what review/checks CRA does.

Reactions: canuck78
May 10, 2020
$500 is not a lot. When did you start working in Canada? When did you stop working? Did your employer give you a ROE?
I started working in March for around 15 days and was laid off temporarily because of COVID, I earned around $500 and yes ROE was issued and sent to government agency.

May 10, 2020
$8000 would be the total amount I guess. How much will be the penalty, that is not written down on CIC website.
I earned only $500 in Canada, but when I told the same to Customer Agent she asked whether I did earn any income in India before. Since I did earn, she told I am eligible. For proof, I was thinking of providing salary payslips for my India's income.

I started job in March and worked for less than a month. Yes, I arrived in January, 2020 and my full time classes started in January start.

May 10, 2020

Yes, that's what my doubt again is as well. I asked specifically the CRA customer agent that whether I am eligible. I was not here before. I arrived only in Jan, 2020. I am an International student. I earned more than $5000 back in my home country. The customer agent told that if you have made more than $5000 then it counts toward your income. The income doesn't have to be earned in Canada. So she told I am eligible and hence I applied.