+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student being paid on E-transfer

ramyn68

Jan 4, 2021
Hey guys,

during my two-year studying, I worked full-time on student visa . I have not been on any contract with my employer and it was on a verbal basis. My boss paid me well enough on E-transfer, I never thought this is taxable , I never filed income tax for 2019 and the past year. please somebody help me what I should do before I get audited and kicked out? can I still request to fill 2019 income tax.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Was your employer Canadian? Why did you not think your work was not taxable? Were you paid in Canadian dollars?

ramyn68

Jan 4, 2021
Was your employer Canadian? Why did you not think your work was not taxable? Were you paid in Canadian dollars?
thank you for your response Naturgrl
. I know I messed up. Actually they told it would not be a problem for neither of us and I asked a few other people they told me no one will be able to check my bank account. My employer is Canadian and I was paid Canadian dollars. Now I am in a big trouble cuz the amount I got was high and the number of hours is unclear. Do I have a chance to get out of this ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you still on a study permit because you are only allowed to work 20 hours per week and you were working full time. You have been working for a Canadian employer for two years without filing taxes. Get the help of an accountant.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
thank you for your response Naturgrl
. I know I messed up. Actually they told it would not be a problem for neither of us and I asked a few other people they told me no one will be able to check my bank account. My employer is Canadian and I was paid Canadian dollars. Now I am in a big trouble cuz the amount I got was high and the number of hours is unclear. Do I have a chance to get out of this ?
The employer should of issued you a T4A for the services
I’m not even going to touch the I never declared the money on my tax return . That’s equivalent to the dog ate my homework excuse . You adult up or own up to the non declaration of monies earned , and you adjust the tax returns in question

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The employer should of issued you a T4A for the services
I’m not even going to touch the I never declared the money on my tax return . That’s equivalent to the dog ate my homework excuse . You adult up or own up to the non declaration of monies earned , and you adjust the tax returns in question
Sounds lile the business owner wasn't running a legal business either so doubt a t4 is coming