+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student applying for student visa + HIV positive +reviewing the results for three months now

Godftry

Apr 28, 2021
Hello everyone, I am an international student from China and already got an offer from a University in BC, and I have enrolled in September 2020 and am taking online classes. Due to a positive medical test for HIV and no further information on my visa yet, I would like to ask for advice on what to do now as I have to go to Canada by September this year or I will not be able to complete my internship offline, I have placed my timeline below.

August 31, 2020, submitted the application for the visa.
September 4, Completed the collection of biometric.
Nov 16, Received a letter requesting a medical exam.
Nov 21, Completed the medical examination.
Dec 28, completed the additional information medical examination required by the RMO, including CD4, viral load, tuberculosis interferon, hepatitis B and C, etc.

January 20, 2021, RMO sends email to complete additional medical examinations, communicates with panel physician and finds out that doctor uploaded first and second medical examination results together and the RMO doctor did not see them, so uploads medical examination results again.
February 2021, the status of the medical examination became "We are reviewing the results of your medical exam".

It's been almost 4 months now and I still haven't heard anything. I'm anxious to start my offline courses, so I'd like to ask you if you are taking a long time to process the medical exams and what I can do now. Thanks.

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Will they approve HIV positive applicant's study permit? I'm afraid I don't think so.

Godftry

Apr 28, 2021
Will they approve HIV positive applicant's study permit? I'm afraid I don't think so.
The visa will definitely pass without any problem, and this is already consulted with a lawyer. Only the review of the medical examination takes too long and anxiety.

cilin

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
The visa will definitely pass without any problem, and this is already consulted with a lawyer. Only the review of the medical examination takes too long and anxiety.
Really? but what i heard is if applicant has infectious disease, like HIV, tuberculosis, hepatitis etc. they won't approve study/work visa, that's what taking medical exam mean. Anyway I'll put an eye on this.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Really? but what i heard is if applicant has infectious disease, like HIV, tuberculosis, hepatitis etc. they won't approve study/work visa, that's what taking medical exam mean. Anyway I'll put an eye on this.
Lots of people living with HIV are approved for study permit, provided their viral load is low/undetectable.

Kemmyann

Apr 2, 2018
Dont worry your medical review has no negative impact on your application so long you have medical plans in place and up to date with your treatment.Have seen many applicants with same situation and granted study permit.
All the best

Reactions: Godftry

Godftry

Apr 28, 2021
Dont worry your medical review has no negative impact on your application so long you have medical plans in place and up to date with your treatment.Have seen many applicants with same situation and granted study permit.
All the best
Thank you for you reply. I got my visa this week. But due to the visa so late, I cannot arrive Canada. so my Master degree credits already exceeded 50% outside Canada, so I cannot got BCPNP now.

Kemmyann

Apr 2, 2018
Thank you for you reply. I got my visa this week. But due to the visa so late, I cannot arrive Canada. so my Master degree credits already exceeded 50% outside Canada, so I cannot got BCPNP now.
Ok. there should be exceptional cases.check with them for further ways forward.All the best

jamasia080296

Mar 10, 2022
Hello everyone! I am Hiv positive today. Supposed to fly canada this coming. But unfortunately i was not able because of the medical result. But the good thing is i will have to get my Study permit as long as i will have proper document about hiv status and could finance my med when i get there in canada . I HOPE I WILL APPROVE. This is my dream and i cant even sleep because of this.