+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student applying for Express Entry FSW program

johndoe7865

Sep 15, 2020
I am an international student in Nova Scotia since past over 2.5 years. I have also been working part-time during school and full time during summer break with the same employer over past couple of years. My job is NOC B. I also recently gave IELTS GT exam, I have overall 8 bands with no module below 7. Prior to Canada, I had done 2 years diploma in Engineering at a school in London, England. I got the WES equivalency report which shows its equal to 2 years diploma in Canada too. I have all the police certificates. Also international experience, while I was at college there I was working part-time as a pizza chef at pizza store for two years (which I believe also does comes under NOC B)

I was thinking/planning to apply for FSW thru Express Entry. I still have got couple of years at school left, but I want to apply before graduating. Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an international student in Nova Scotia since past over 2.5 years. I have also been working part-time during school and full time during summer break with the same employer over past couple of years. My job is NOC B. I also recently gave IELTS GT exam, I have overall 8 bands with no module below 7. Prior to Canada, I had done 2 years diploma in Engineering at a school in London, England. I got the WES equivalency report which shows its equal to 2 years diploma in Canada too. I have all the police certificates. Also international experience, while I was at college there I was working part-time as a pizza chef at pizza store for two years (which I believe also does comes under NOC B)

I was thinking/planning to apply for FSW thru Express Entry. I still have got couple of years at school left, but I want to apply before graduating. Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.
You can certainly apply now. You'll need to have at least one year of continuous work experience in a single NOC that you gained outside of Canada.

Your work experience in Canada gained while studying will not count towards your CRS score.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

One more comment... You'll want to calculate your score. You'll need a CRS of 470+ to have a good chance of being selected out of the pool.

Reactions: johndoe7865

johndoe7865

Sep 15, 2020
You can certainly apply now. You'll need to have at least one year of continuous work experience in a single NOC that you gained outside of Canada.

Your work experience in Canada gained while studying will not count towards your CRS score.
Thanks a ton for your comment. I was just reading that experience gain while studying in Canada is considered for FSW, is that different when it comes to you being in an actual express entry pool?

Secondly my current NOC is 6221. Of course a cooks NOC is even though the same level, but not the number. When you said single NOC just wanted to make sure is it single NOC number right? Or do you mean single level, like A, B, C...

Thirdly when it comes to Crs score, I guess due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to Crs etc and me probably filling up the questionnaire different everytime, would it affect/impact/hurt my chances, if let's say I do apply, and sit there in the pool, without being selected, come graduation time I get pgwp and eligible for NSPNP and stuff when I apply then, would me applying now have any impact on my future applications, if applying now was not fruitful? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a ton for your comment. I was just reading that experience gain while studying in Canada is considered for FSW, is that different when it comes to you being in an actual express entry pool?

Secondly my current NOC is 6221. Of course a cooks NOC is even though the same level, but not the number. When you said single NOC just wanted to make sure is it single NOC number right? Or do you mean single level, like A, B, C...

Thirdly when it comes to Crs score, I guess due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to Crs etc and me probably filling up the questionnaire different everytime, would it affect/impact/hurt my chances, if let's say I do apply, and sit there in the pool, without being selected, come graduation time I get pgwp and eligible for NSPNP and stuff when I apply then, would me applying now have any impact on my future applications, if applying now was not fruitful? Thank you
Yes - the FSW score is different than CRS / Express Entry. The FSW score is the minimum you need to qualify. The CRS score determines if you are actually going to be selected. So while you can count your work experience towards the minimum to qualify (FSW), you cannot count your Canadian work experience towards CRS.

Your foreign work experience has to be under a single NOC (.e.g everything must be under 6221). The work experience must also be continuous (without breaks) and you must have the equivalent of one year of full time work experience.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. You should make sure you answer all questions in your Express Entry profile truthfully / accurately.

johndoe7865

Sep 15, 2020
Oh I appreciate, it's in my best interest to answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge. I never answer them wrong delibretly, probably make mistakes when checking my score on the website, but nothing delibretly.

The last part above, I was just wondering, if I apply now, and don't get selected from within the pool, would that impact my future applications? As in when I would apply after graduating etc. ? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh I appreciate, it's in my best interest to answer all the questions to the best of my knowledge. I never answer them wrong delibretly, probably make mistakes when checking my score on the website, but nothing delibretly.

The last part above, I was just wondering, if I apply now, and don't get selected from within the pool, would that impact my future applications? As in when I would apply after graduating etc. ? Thank you
No issues.