+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Relations/Foreign Affairs Jobs

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Dear All,

I was recently sponsored for a Canadian PR by my Canadian spouse and we are beginning to operationalize our plan to move there.

I have more than a decade of work experience in international think tanks and multinational organizations (OSCE, UN etc.). I have worked on conflict prevention, mediation, political affairs and human rights issues. Are there any good resources for finding similar work in Canada? Government jobs are a major prize but they require citizenship in order to obtain security clearances. Has anyone had any experience finding work with similar background? Our preferred destination is Ontario as I guess the majority of institutions, NGO's and the like are based in Ottawa and Toronto.

Also, when it comes to degrees in Social Science - do they need to undergo the credentialing process through CICIC? I haven't seen any regulatory bodies for such degrees and they come from recognized universities in South Africa, the United Kingdom and the US. Anyone had any experience requiring nostrification (for jobs, not continuing education purposes)?

Finally, I've heard a lot about Canadian experience - given the nature of work I am involved in and my experience at an international level, would it play a major factor? International organizations are disciplined and multicultural settings and standards for analytical reports and research are second to none. Would this experience be seen as a positive or would employers focus more on the lack of Canadian work experience? Has anyone in this field of work benefited from organizations such as Career Edge?

I would appreciate any feedback on these issues, particularly from people with a similar education/professional background. While we plan to make Canada our permanent home, we do want to ensure that I can secure a decent job in a field that I can contribute it.

Thanks in advance

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Anyone with any Social Sciences backgrounds to post their experiences when transitioning?

bssoni

Jun 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Dear,

I am pursuing my doctoral study from India in the field of Mediation Process Design for Intrastate Armed Conflicts. Presently, I am preparing the documents for Express Entry scheme. I am facing similar questions. Whenever I will find information related with IR, I will definitely inform you.
Be in touch.

Nunuc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
Thanks a lot - although it seems pretty limited to the NGO sector as government jobs in IR, Foreign Relations or Development are only available to citizens (because they require clearances). Do drop a line here if you find anything out.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just wondering what NOC this would fall under?

Thanks