+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Quebec student trying for Express Entry

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
Hello,

I got Ph.D. admission from Montreal university and I will be there by August 2019.
I know I can apply for express entry while I am in Quebec but as far as I know, for receiving PR, it is a necessity to leave Quebec and do the landing in another province. My question is that what will happen if my application approved in the middle of my Ph.D.? Can I receive my PR and finish my Ph.D. in Montreal and then leave Quebec or I should withdraw the Ph.D. program and move to another province for getting PR?

Last edited:

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF (and that's a big if) you manage to convince the processing officer of your intention to reside outside the province of Quebec then once your application is approved finish your landing at a different province and continue your studies.

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
IF (and that's a big if) you manage to convince the processing officer of your intention to reside outside the province of Quebec then once your application is approved finish your landing at a different province and continue your studies.
Thank you for your response. What are good reasons for convincing the officer? And what will happen if I couldn't convince him? Can I apply for express entery again later?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your response. What are good reasons for convincing the officer? And what will happen if I couldn't convince him? Can I apply for express entery again later?
If you fail to convince them your application will be cancelled, you can re-apply at a later date. I do not know your situation nor why you intend to apply through EE while studying in Quebec so I cannot comment further.

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
If you fail to convince them your application will be cancelled, you can re-apply at a later date. I do not know your situation nor why you intend to apply through EE while studying in Quebec so I cannot comment further.
Quebec program needs a french degree and I know nothing about French. Moreover, It takes me about 5 years to finish my PhD and leave Quebec. So, I think the best way for me is to get PR through express entry program.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would be pretty hard to convince the visa officer that you are going to leave Quebec without finishing your PhD. With a PhD you should have a few options to get PR.

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
Would be pretty hard to convince the visa officer that you are going to leave Quebec without finishing your PhD. With a PhD you should have a few options to get PR.
Actually I don't want to leave Quebec without my PhD. I want to convince him that I will leave Quebec as soon as I get my degree.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually I don't want to leave Quebec without my PhD. I want to convince him that I will leave Quebec as soon as I get my degree.
That’s what I saying. It will be incredibly difficult to convince someone that you will be relocating out of Quebec midway through your PhD. Don’t see the point in trying.