+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International nurse Becoming a Registered Nurse in Canada Ontario Question

tony816

Mar 22, 2020
hi guys, I have a question about the application for a Registered Nurse in Canada Ontario. I just got the report form the NNAS, and now I apply to "Regulatory Body Ontario ". When I am doing the application, there are one requirements which is "Proof of Canadian citizenship, Permanent Residency or authorization to work in Canada." Do I have to be a citizenship, then I am able to apply for the RN in Canada Ontario? I am a RN working in United States current, my citizenship is Hong Kong.

Hope someone can share yours experiences
thank you
best regard

salinashum

Mar 23, 2020
Hey all,
I m also a registered nurse and registered midwife in Hong Kong for 10 years. I would like to ask what is the procedure of applying license of registered nurse in Ontario. Should I need to apply NNAS for Advisory report in advance?
And, should I apply for academic credential assessment from WES and to verify my study outsides of Canada??

Thanks so much for advice!

RN-LauraB

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Australia
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
CIO Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05/11/2020
hi guys, I have a question about the application for a Registered Nurse in Canada Ontario. I just got the report form the NNAS, and now I apply to "Regulatory Body Ontario ". When I am doing the application, there are one requirements which is "Proof of Canadian citizenship, Permanent Residency or authorization to work in Canada." Do I have to be a citizenship, then I am able to apply for the RN in Canada Ontario? I am a RN working in United States current, my citizenship is Hong Kong.

Hope someone can share yours experiences
thank you
best regard
Hi,

I provided everything required in my application to CNO other than proof of citizenship/Valid visa to work (I'm currently waiting on my PR through express entry so was unable to fulfil this part).

Once they had approved everything else in my file, leaving only this step pending. I then contacted them to ask for a provisional RN license to be issued, with a condition/restriction to be placed on my file, stating, that I couldn't work as an RN in Ontario until i provided them the proof of residency.

They responded letting me know that my file would be reviewed by the regulation committee (they meet every few months, and they gave me the date that my file would be reviewed). They then went ahead and granted me my license with this condition/restriction, which I am able to get removed as soon as I get my PR and can provide this to them.

Hope this helps, good luck!

RN-LauraB

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Australia
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
CIO Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05/11/2020
Hey all,
I m also a registered nurse and registered midwife in Hong Kong for 10 years. I would like to ask what is the procedure of applying license of registered nurse in Ontario. Should I need to apply NNAS for Advisory report in advance?
And, should I apply for academic credential assessment from WES and to verify my study outsides of Canada??

Thanks so much for advice!
Hi,

Yes the first step is to apply for your NNAS report (this process takes a while). Your next step (when you have your advisory report) is to apply to CNO.

As for your academic credential assessment from WES this is required for your permanent residence visa and is NOT required for your nurse license with NNAS/CNO. If you do require a visa to work in Canada then I suggest you start the process together as your NNAS report will take approximately 8mths to process (its super slow).

Hope this help, good luck!

guri gs

Jan 2, 2021
Hi,
I want to ask few of the questions as I intend to work as registered nurse in canada.
I am planning to apply for Ontario and someone told me that language tests are not required for Ontario. Is it correct.
Also, once i get the report from NNAS, do i need to have valid status (such as PR, citizen, Work permit etc.) in canada to write the exams.
If i pass the exam, can i get work permit to work as registered nurse in canada. Do i need to get job first or work permit.
I would really appreciate any help on the above.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
I want to ask few of the questions as I intend to work as registered nurse in canada.
I am planning to apply for Ontario and someone told me that language tests are not required for Ontario. Is it correct.
Also, once i get the report from NNAS, do i need to have valid status (such as PR, citizen, Work permit etc.) in canada to write the exams.
If i pass the exam, can i get work permit to work as registered nurse in canada. Do i need to get job first or work permit.
What are you applying for when you say Ontario? You can apply for NNAS without being a PR or have a work permit. Have you applied for NNAS as the process takes about a year. Once you get NNAS then you have to apply for a provincial license. You then need a job offer and positive LMIA and apply for a work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Have you spoken to the licensing board about what will be required based on your qualifications from your home country? There is a huge variability of what must be done to get licensed depending on where you did your training.

guri gs

Jan 2, 2021
What are you applying for when you say Ontario? You can apply for NNAS without being a PR or have a work permit. Have you applied for NNAS as the process takes about a year. Once you get NNAS then you have to apply for a provincial license. You then need a job offer and positive LMIA and apply for a work permit.
I meant that i will apply for provincial license for Ontario.
Also, i am about to start the NNAS evaluation process.

guri gs

Jan 2, 2021
Have you spoken to the licensing board about what will be required based on your qualifications from your home country? There is a huge variability of what must be done to get licensed depending on where you did your training.
No, i did not speak. I am at very initial stage and will start the NNAS evaluation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I meant that i will apply for provincial license for Ontario.
Also, i am about to start the NNAS evaluation process.
Well you have a ways to go as processing is over a year for NNAS if your education is assessed as equivalent to Canadian education and you pass the exams. Then you apply for an Ontario license. The you need a job offer and LMIA. Then apply for a closed work permit.

guri gs

Jan 2, 2021
Well you have a ways to go as processing is over a year for NNAS if your education is assessed as equivalent to Canadian education and you pass the exams. Then you apply for an Ontario license. The you need a job offer and LMIA. Then apply for a closed work permit.
So when i apply with NNAS for evaluation, do i need to provide language test score also? Did i get it right?

rn_ontario0007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Hello Naturgrl!

you mentioned job offer and LMIA, do you have knowledge or experience if hospital or other health institution employer process LMIA to foreign nationals? To work for them as an RN. I hope you reply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Naturgrl!

you mentioned job offer and LMIA, do you have knowledge or experience if hospital or other health institution employer process LMIA to foreign nationals? To work for them as an RN. I hope you reply.
Are you licensed in the province? If so, You can try applying for jobs. The position has to be full-time, permanent. I don’t know whether hospitals are willing to go through the process as it costs time and money. Also most nursing positions in hospitals are not full-time permanent but casual.

rn_ontario0007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Are you licensed in the province? If so, You can try applying for jobs. The position has to be full-time, permanent. I don’t know whether hospitals are willing to go through the process as it costs time and money. Also most nursing positions in hospitals are not full-time permanent but casual.
I am, I have offer at one of the hospital which is temporary full time. I’m still on the process of verification of reference. I told them about my situation beforehand, I am afraid when I mentioned it again after the verification, it become an issue and they will refuse my application..