+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada - visa valid longer than passport

Jun 15, 2018
I went to Canada at the beginning of 2017 on an IEC visa. At the border they issued my visa for the full 23 months (expiring Jan 2019), even though my passport expires in August. I am currently back in New Zealand and have to apply for a new passport, therefore my passport number will change and my visa and passport are not linked. I cannot find any information anywhere about how I am supposed to change this information on my visa. Can I travel back to Canada and continue working there if i carry both my new and old passport? Has anyone else had this issue? I was always under the impression that they would not issue visa's past your passports validity...
I tried to look into extending my visa but seems I have to be living in Canada at the time to be able to do that. HELP!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well first you were lucky they issued your permit beyond the passport validity given people that happens to usually end up having to pay out a fee to change it waiting a few nail biting months hoping the application gets approved.

Anyway the answer is here in this link below. Basically you either take the cancelled passport ( preferable)or a colour copy the bio page that the permit was link to, plus the permit itself. This together with your new passport with a new ETA should be enough to return and a reason to enter the country.

As far as I am aware they probably do not reissue the permit linked to the new passport hence need to have old copy and permit but may be wrong on that just make sure you get a new ETA. Assume you already have a SIN for work anyway.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=861&top=25

Last edited:
Reactions: melissahunter98
Jun 15, 2018
Well first you were lucky they issued your permit beyond the passport validity given people that happens to usually end up having to pay out a fee to change it waiting a few nail biting months hoping the application gets approved.

Anyway the answer is here in this link below. Basically you either take the cancelled passport ( preferable)or a colour copy the bio page that the permit was link to, plus the permit itself. This together with your new passport with a new ETA should be enough to return and a reason to enter the country.

As far as I am aware they probably do not reissue the permit linked to the new passport hence need to have old copy and permit but may be wrong on that just make sure you get a new ETA. Assume you already have a SIN for work anyway.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=861&top=25

Thank you! That's brilliant! Yes, I have a SIN for work