+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interim Work Authorization and reentering Canada/PGWP extension

moving_guy

Jun 1, 2021
Hello,

I'm a US citizen living & working in Canada on a PWGP. It expires Nov 13th, 2022. Today I submitted my PR application (through EE/CEC), and submitted another application for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) after I got AOR.

I need to travel to the US late November, and I know my BOWP won't come in time. However, because my PGWP expiry fell within the correct range, I received Interim Work Authorization (see also) until May 31st, 2023 through an email from IIRC I received in August.

I'm a little confused about the Interim Work Authorization. My email says

Please note that you must be physically in Canada to use this interim work authorization as it cannot be used to grant entry into Canada.
However on first numbered item here, IRCC says " An updated work permit will be sent to your mailing address by mid-October". This leads me to believe I would be automatically be sent an updated open work permit with expiry of May 31st, 2023. But the email I received gave me no indication of this (my address has changed since I applied for PGWP, and I received no option to update my address).

Questions:

• Did anyone else who was granted Interim Work Authorization receive a new visa automatically? Can I expect this to happen?
  • In my situation, (US passport + Interim Work Authorization + Implied Status from my PR application ) can I reenter Canada from the US to work?
  • If not, anything else I can do?

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
Hello,

I'm a US citizen living & working in Canada on a PWGP. It expires Nov 13th, 2022. Today I submitted my PR application (through EE/CEC), and submitted another application for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) after I got AOR.

I need to travel to the US late November, and I know my BOWP won't come in time. However, because my PGWP expiry fell within the correct range, I received Interim Work Authorization (see also) until May 31st, 2023 through an email from IIRC I received in August.

I'm a little confused about the Interim Work Authorization. My email says

However on first numbered item here, IRCC says " An updated work permit will be sent to your mailing address by mid-October". This leads me to believe I would be automatically be sent an updated open work permit with expiry of May 31st, 2023. But the email I received gave me no indication of this (my address has changed since I applied for PGWP, and I received no option to update my address).

Questions:

• Did anyone else who was granted Interim Work Authorization receive a new visa automatically? Can I expect this to happen?
  • In my situation, (US passport + Interim Work Authorization + Implied Status from my PR application ) can I reenter Canada from the US to work?
  • If not, anything else I can do?
1)A lot of folks who qualify for it have not received it. I see it on twitter all the time(just search pgwp extension 2022). Yes, it can happen but since you didn't receive any address update request, you need to call IRCC and ask them whether they tried mailing it out to you. They will atleast know that. They can also update your address.
2)You can return for sure but no idea if you can work with the interim letter on return. No where does it say re-entry loses that benefit. I think the letter can't be used to return but if one has a TRV/from a passport exempt country--they can always comeback. I think you can work with the interim letter. A lot of people want to go home and not receiving the WP in hand has paused plans. Best to call IRCC tomorrow(it'll take you 15-20 attempts atleast to connect unless you get lucky..keep trying)
3)You can hope to get the letter at the new address(once you call and let them know) by the time you comeback/ have someone mail it to you while you are in the US. I would say call IRCC tomorrow to know what the status of that paper is. There are folks who have applied/plan to apply manually out of fears of that Dec 31st deadline. It's IRCC.