+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intention of living outside Quebec

Aliban1

Sep 3, 2022
We received me and my husband an invitation EE CEC, currently we live in quebec, but we want to move to ottawa, we have already found a lease and we can work remotely from there (the employer will give us a letter to explain this), my husband is the principal applicant and he is looking for a job in Ontario, my problem is that I am pregnant and I intend to keep my principal address in quebec for 4 months until delivery in order to keep the RAMQ insurance,because if I leave now I will lose it ,we are not eligible for the Ontario insurance and the private insurance doesn’t cover the delivery,do you think that an explanation letter explaining that I will move in 4 months after giving birth is ok?
Thank you

asiqur

Dec 8, 2021
We received me and my husband an invitation EE CEC, currently we live in quebec, but we want to move to ottawa, we have already found a lease and we can work remotely from there (the employer will give us a letter to explain this), my husband is the principal applicant and he is looking for a job in Ontario, my problem is that I am pregnant and I intend to keep my principal address in quebec for 4 months until delivery in order to keep the RAMQ insurance,because if I leave now I will lose it ,we are not eligible for the Ontario insurance and the private insurance doesn’t cover the delivery,do you think that an explanation letter explaining that I will move in 4 months after giving birth is ok?
Thank you
When did you (or are going to) apply? If you’ve been recently invited to apply, don’t worry, just include a letter of explanation and that should be fine during the R10 stage. Even the preliminary eligibility assessment wouldn’t be an issue. It’s usually the final processing officer who looks for the intent and I am pretty sure that by then you will already be in Ontario given the current processing time. If not, the officer in almost all circumstances just send you a procedural fairness letter whereby (s)he will ask you to provide what you already have (the lease outside Québec). However, the officer will also ask you to provide the proof of lease termination from Québec.

If you are moving to Ottawa and have already signed a lease there, why not apply with your new address and attach the documents provided by your employer(s)? Once you deliver your baby, you terminate your lease in Québec and send the proof of lease termination via Webform.

By the way, I am a CEC applicant (AOR Oct 4 ’21) from Québec myself and still living here. I haven’t seen any observations regarding my presence in Québec on my GCMS notes. I submitted a letter of intent in Feb ‘22 along with some job applications outside Québec. I’ve seen cases here on this forum where people in Québec have received PR status through CEC last year with as little proof as the job applications. Therefore, I think your case is very strong.

That’s just my opinion. It’s better to wait for more responses.

GoodLuck!

Aliban1

Sep 3, 2022
@asiqur Thank you for your detailed answer.
In fact ,I have not yet sent my request for pr.
Should I include the proof of pregnancy and the new lease with the letter of explanation?

I don't want to use my address in ontario as my principal address because in that case my RAMQ coverage will stop, and if I change it without informing them it will be considered as fraud. currently our lease in quebec will finish that month and we will stay with a friend until giving birth.

for your case ,did you receive a fairness letter? Is that the reason why you had to give evidence of job search outside quebec ?

asiqur

Dec 8, 2021
@asiqur Thank you for your detailed answer.
In fact ,I have not yet sent my request for pr.
Should I include the proof of pregnancy and the new lease with the letter of explanation?

I don't want to use my address in ontario as my principal address because in that case my RAMQ coverage will stop, and if I change it without informing them it will be considered as fraud. currently our lease in quebec will finish that month and we will stay with a friend until giving birth.

for your case ,did you receive a fairness letter? Is that the reason why you had to give evidence of job search outside quebec ?
You are most welcome!

I didn’t suggest to not inform RAMQ of the change of address. On contrary, I suggested to use your Ontario address as the primary address on your application, and no, you’ll not loose your RAMQ coverage if you use Ontario address as your primary address on your PR application. You probably don’t need to include proof of pregnancy. Just write a LoE and explain that you plan to reside in Québec for a certain period due to your pregnancy and insurance coverage issue and after that you’ll move to your new address in Ontario along with your lease and letters from your employers. If you want to be sure, you could ask your family doctor to write a letter where (s)he writes a tentative due date of your delivery that you can also include with your LoE. I am sure your pregnancy will also be reflected on your Medical for Immigration, so this letter can then be confirmed by the IRCC’s medical division.

StI strongly recommend that either of you should find a job outside Québec, because just moving outside Québec and working both from home for a Québec company may not be enough to convince the officer of your longterm intent. Remember that it’s the officer’s discretion to either accept or reject your application because we being from Québec are not eligible for CEC as per the immigration rules and policies due to Québec’s special status in Canada.

As I mentioned, I haven’t seen any remarks on my current residence in Québec on my file, so no I haven’t received any PFL yet. I just sent copies of applications as a proof that I am trying to relocate outside Québec, and because my current job is not permanent here, I think I am in the safe zone. It’s always a good idea to avoid owning property and permanent jobs in Québec to make your claim stronger.

You can always get in touch with me here if you need any information or guide. Although I am not an immigration expert but I can at least share my experience regarding my CEC journey.

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
You are most welcome!

I didn’t suggest to not inform RAMQ of the change of address. On contrary, I suggested to use your Ontario address as the primary address on your application, and no, you’ll not loose your RAMQ coverage if you use Ontario address as your primary address on your PR application. You probably don’t need to include proof of pregnancy. Just write a LoE and explain that you plan to reside in Québec for a certain period due to your pregnancy and insurance coverage issue and after that you’ll move to your new address in Ontario along with your lease and letters from your employers. If you want to be sure, you could ask your family doctor to write a letter where (s)he writes a tentative due date of your delivery that you can also include with your LoE. I am sure your pregnancy will also be reflected on your Medical for Immigration, so this letter can then be confirmed by the IRCC’s medical division.

StI strongly recommend that either of you should find a job outside Québec, because just moving outside Québec and working both from home for a Québec company may not be enough to convince the officer of your longterm intent. Remember that it’s the officer’s discretion to either accept or reject your application because we being from Québec are not eligible for CEC as per the immigration rules and policies due to Québec’s special status in Canada.

As I mentioned, I haven’t seen any remarks on my current residence in Québec on my file, so no I haven’t received any PFL yet. I just sent copies of applications as a proof that I am trying to relocate outside Québec, and because my current job is not permanent here, I think I am in the safe zone. It’s always a good idea to avoid owning property and permanent jobs in Québec to make your claim stronger.

You can always get in touch with me here if you need any information or guide. Although I am not an immigration expert but I can at least share my experience regarding my CEC journey.
I think working remotely for a Quebec employer is perfectly fine, as long as the employer provides a letter stating that this remote work is a long term arrangement, and one establishes residency in a province outside Quebec. This would convince immigration that one won't simply move back to Quebec after getting PR. I'm in a similar situation, but an FSW candidate already with PR. I work remotely for a Quebec based employer while living in Ontario, and I've signed a long term lease here and got an OHIP card. That shows that my intention is to reside outside Quebec, which complies with Express Entry.

Reactions: scylla

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
Thank you
Hi @Aliban1, could you please share with us how did you proceed? I am in similar situation

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
I think working remotely for a Quebec employer is perfectly fine, as long as the employer provides a letter stating that this remote work is a long term arrangement, and one establishes residency in a province outside Quebec. This would convince immigration that one won't simply move back to Quebec after getting PR. I'm in a similar situation, but an FSW candidate already with PR. I work remotely for a Quebec based employer while living in Ontario, and I've signed a long term lease here and got an OHIP card. That shows that my intention is to reside outside Quebec, which complies with Express Entry.
In your case, you get the OHIP card even if you were only a FSW candidate, no PR yet?

VB2023

Jul 29, 2023
Hello,

@Aliban1 and @Rahal2000

Can you please update? I am in a similar situation and it would be great if I can know what documents you submitted and.whether it was accepted.

Thanks a lot!