+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intent to live in Ontario

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am currently residing in Ottawa and have been here for the past 4 years, and I fully intend to remain in the province of Ontario. However, my job is located in Gatineau, Quebec (it's a 15 minute drive away).

I've been issued an ITA since in the profile forms I indicated that I plan to reside in Ontario, which is great! My question is: would it help my application to also include a letter of explanation further emphasizing that I intend to remain in Ontario? If so, what should this letter include? I'm thinking I could include the contact info of close relations (brother, friends, academic connections) in Ontario. Perhaps I could also include proof of residency in Ottawa for the past 4 years? A recent paystub with my Ottawa address printed on it?

Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I'm afraid you will find that while the current instructions do not state "live AND WORK outside Quebec," that is what they mean.

It is not enough that you live outside Quebec, you will be asked to prove that you plan to work outside of Quebec too.

If you want to continue working in Quebec, you should move there and apply through the Quebec program.

steelguy

Oct 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I disagree with this. You are eligible to apply and should not encounter any issues. I read in this forum that some guys that work in Gatineau and live in Ottawa who successfully got their PR. Search for that thread.

Moreover, I am one of the inter-province workers. I live in Ontario and works in Quebec. I got my PR and they did not ask for a letter regarding intention to live outside quebec (I was actually ready to provide this in case they ask for it). I even did my studies in Quebec.

jes_ON said:
I'm afraid you will find that while the current instructions do not state "live AND WORK outside Quebec," that is what they mean.

It is not enough that you live outside Quebec, you will be asked to prove that you plan to work outside of Quebec too.

If you want to continue working in Quebec, you should move there and apply through the Quebec program.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Good to hear. I have heard from others who got "Procedural Fairness" letters about their intent. (Those are not good to get, but they are not necessarily the end of the line either). I don't know the outcomes of those cases. It may depend on the VO.

As for the OP: I would not add the LOE, other letters unless/until IRCC asks for them. Good luck!

steelguy

Oct 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree. I honestly thinks that it depends on the visa officer.

I would also advice the same, don't add LOE unless they ask for it. You clearly satisfies the requirements. Explaining it may appear that you are too defensive. Good luck!

jes_ON said:
Good to hear. I have heard from others who got "Procedural Fairness" letters about their intent. (Those are not good to get, but they are not necessarily the end of the line either). I don't know the outcomes of those cases. It may depend on the VO.

As for the OP: I would not add the LOE, other letters unless/until IRCC asks for them. Good luck!

steelguy

Oct 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP does not qualify for Quebec program as he/she is living in Ontario. The basis for PR application is your province of residency. I know it is complicated but it is common in Ottawa/Gatineau.

thejkhan said:
You will most likely get rejected. Try Quebec's program.

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
steelguy said:
I disagree with this. You are eligible to apply and should not encounter any issues. I read in this forum that some guys that work in Gatineau and live in Ottawa who successfully got their PR. Search for that thread.

Moreover, I am one of the inter-province workers. I live in Ontario and works in Quebec. I got my PR and they did not ask for a letter regarding intention to live outside quebec (I was actually ready to provide this in case they ask for it). I even did my studies in Quebec.
Thank you for the response. I agree, it seems that I satisfy all the criteria. So I'm guessing they'll infer my address from my statements, paystubs, etc? Or just from what you fill in the forms?

Also, may I ask when you received your PR?

Thanks again!

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
jes_ON said:

Thank you for the advice. I suspected that I'd come across as overly defensive if I do provide a letter, but I just wanted to get some more opinion on the matter. I'll just upload the necessary documents and hope for the best.

Thanks again!