+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Int. Student and sponsorship application, please help !!!

macho2028

Sep 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am on the final step of my sponsorship application, which means I just got the letter requesting to send my passport to the visa section to get the visa. However, currently, I'm in Canada as an international student. Therefore, I have a question about this since this case is a bit complicated which I cannot find an answer on CIC website:

The sponsorship application includes 3 members of my family - my mom (main applicant), my brother, and me (we are dependent children). For now, my mom and brother reside in Vietnam and they just informed me that the got the letter requesting our passports from the Visa section in Singapore. However, I am studying in Canada at the moment.

Do I have to return to my country to send my passport to Singapore? Or I just need to mail my passport to my mom and have her complete the request?

From what I was advised, I should get back to my country and get my passport sent from there, as well as arrive in Canada along with my mom and brother. This is for safety purpose of our application and for the border-control-officer can gather the needed info for our landing record.

The decision to stay or to leave Canada may be very costly, so I need some expert advice, please help !

Thank you very much.

Sorry for double-posting, I am not sure which section this should be in.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

macho2028 said:
Hello everyone,

I am on the final step of my sponsorship application, which means I just got the letter requesting to send my passport to the visa section to get the visa. However, currently, I'm in Canada as an international student. Therefore, I have a question about this since this case is a bit complicated which I cannot find an answer on CIC website:

The sponsorship application includes 3 members of my family - my mom (main applicant), my brother, and me (we are dependent children). For now, my mom and brother reside in Vietnam and they just informed me that the got the letter requesting our passports from the Visa section in Singapore. However, I am studying in Canada at the moment.

Do I have to return to my country to send my passport to Singapore? Or I just need to mail my passport to my mom and have her complete the request?

From what I was advised, I should get back to my country and get my passport sent from there, as well as arrive in Canada along with my mom and brother. This is for safety purpose of our application and for the border-control-officer can gather the needed info for our landing record.

The decision to stay or to leave Canada may be very costly, so I need some expert advice, please help !

Thank you very much.

Sorry for double-posting, I am not sure which section this should be in.
1. Courier your passport to your mother. She submits the passports to Singapore. When she receives yours back, she couriers it to you.
2. After she "lands" then you can either make an appointment at an Inland office to "land" or flagpole at the US/Canadian border to "land"

spsp

Jun 20, 2011
Mailing passports across *borders* is prohibited. Please read instructions in your passport to find accurate information. You may need to get an authorization letter and explain the reasons for mailing the passport. Fedex and other mailing services have policies against mailing passports unless it is within the country of residence.

macho2028

Sep 2, 2010
oh really? hmm what should I do now? mailing my passport with an explanation letter or leaving the country to have it done in my hometown?

Again, I'm confused :(, but thax for your info anyways.

macho2028

Sep 2, 2010
spsp said:
Mailing passports across *borders* is prohibited. Please read instructions in your passport to find accurate information. You may need to get an authorization letter and explain the reasons for mailing the passport. Fedex and other mailing services have policies against mailing passports unless it is within the country of residence.
Oh wait! I remember I sent my passport once before to USA to have my new student visa. Thus, I can say that I already sent my passport across the borders and the post-officer knew this (I asked her how long it would take for my passport to get there). Would this time she refuse my mail because of the overseas destination ?