+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance for new immigrant, not visitor. No Ohip. Potential serious condition.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Can someone please help me. I was told by various insurance companies that when I was waiting for PR to get accepted, I could only have EMERGENCY medical insurance, meaning on going care wouldn't be covered. They said I could only have visitor emergency insurance. For example, if I have an emergency and need to go to the hospital, that is covered, but if I get diagnosed with cancer and need chemo, that wouldnt be covered normally.

I am a PR but are still waiting for the 3 months to get Ohip. As a new immigrant waiting for Ohip, is there any other insurance that I can get that wouldn't just cover emergencies but that would actually cover on going care too? Reason I am asking is I will go to the doctor tomorrow and get a referral to something that may be serious (cancer) and wouldn't really wanna wait another two months before I can get care sense it wouldn't be considered an emergency as long as I don't get hospitalized which is highly unlikely.

I mean, as PR waiting for Ohip or as some returning Canadians there must be some insurance they can get that wouldn't just cover emergencies but that would also cover something they're being diagnosed with during this waiting period?!

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
Can someone please help me. I was told by various insurance companies that when I was waiting for PR to get accepted, I could only have EMERGENCY medical insurance, meaning on going care wouldn't be covered. They said I could only have visitor emergency insurance. For example, if I have an emergency and need to go to the hospital, that is covered, but if I get diagnosed with cancer and need chemo, that wouldnt be covered normally.

I am a PR but are still waiting for the 3 months to get Ohip. As a new immigrant waiting for Ohip, is there any other insurance that I can get that wouldn't just cover emergencies but that would actually cover on going care too? Reason I am asking is I will go to the doctor tomorrow and get a referral to something that may be serious (cancer) and wouldn't really wanna wait another two months before I can get care sense it wouldn't be considered an emergency as long as I don't get hospitalized which is highly unlikely.

I mean, as PR waiting for Ohip or as some returning Canadians there must be some insurance they can get that wouldn't just cover emergencies but that would also cover something they're being diagnosed with during this waiting period?!
Usually those temporary insurances do not cover pre-existing conditions. As most serious diseases can be "categorized" by insurance companies into pre-existing conditions, especially if you buy insurance in close proximity to the discovery of the problem, it is a complicated topic and i wouldn't trust any company to cover it.
I know that OHIP sometimes covers retroactively for the first 3 months but i am certainly not an expert on this matter. You might want to consult this page to try to find more info: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/health-b40.0/
I hope its just a big scare you are passing through and everything will be fine with you.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
There may be some financial assistance for you from groups for your specific illness. Hoping you don't have cancer but Google charities for the kind you fear you may have as well as The Canadian Cancer Society.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sashali78 said:
Usually those temporary insurances do not cover pre-existing conditions. As most serious diseases can be "categorized" by insurance companies into pre-existing conditions, especially if you buy insurance in close proximity to the discovery of the problem, it is a complicated topic and i wouldn't trust any company to cover it.
I know that OHIP sometimes covers retroactively for the first 3 months but i am certainly not an expert on this matter. You might want to consult this page to try to find more info: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/health-b40.0/
I hope its just a big scare you are passing through and everything will be fine with you.
There is no retroactive coverage for the 3 months waiting period for OHIP once covered. Any medical cost done during the 3 month wait will cost out of your own pocket.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
There is no retroactive coverage for the 3 months waiting period for OHIP once covered. Any medical cost done during the 3 month wait will cost out of your own pocket.
That's too bad, because there is in BC. Any expenses that are incurred during the waiting period are reimbursed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
That's too bad, because there is in BC. Any expenses that are incurred during the waiting period are reimbursed.
BC MSP only reimburses claims from the waiting period in very extreme circumstances, i.e. where the person had a serious condition and can show that they will be financially ruined by the medical costs.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
I mean, whats the point of enforcing the 3 month wait if OHIP is going to cover retroactive 3 months waiting period once it is covered. You might as well get coverage from day one.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
It's just weird, it's impossible to get health care other than emergency even if you're willing to pay for it? Makes no sense. The government should investigate this and change the rules. You won't qualifie for universal health care, and there is no way of purchasing a private one either other than emergency travel. Absolutely absurd Canada!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SamHom said:
It's just weird, it's impossible to get health care other than emergency even if you're willing to pay for it? Makes no sense. The government should investigate this and change the rules. You won't qualifie for universal health care, and there is no way of purchasing a private one either other than emergency travel. Absolutely absurd Canada!
You can certainly get non-emergency care - but you have to pay for it. Whether you end up paying out of your own pocket or being covered by an insurance company depends on whether you can find a policy to cover your needs. Understand that insurance companies everywhere (certainly not just in Canada) are in the business of making money. So they're not going to sell you a policy if they know up front that your care is going to cost them more than they make off your monthly premium payments. This is why pre-existing conditions typically aren't covered - or are covered with very high premiums and tons of exclusions (again, not just in Canada - everywhere). The fact you're having trouble finding a policy that suits your needs is about insurance companies making money. Canada's government and the provincial health care systems don't control how this works. It's up to these public companies who are making money for shareholders to decide if they want to cover you or not.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
scylla said:
You can certainly get non-emergency care - but you have to pay for it. Whether you end up paying out of your own pocket or being covered by an insurance company depends on whether you can find a policy to cover your needs. Understand that insurance companies everywhere (certainly not just in Canada) are in the business of making money. So they're not going to sell you a policy if they know up front that your care is going to cost them more than they make off your monthly premium payments. This is why pre-existing conditions typically aren't covered - or are covered with very high premiums and tons of exclusions (again, not just in Canada - everywhere). The fact you're having trouble finding a policy that suits your needs is about insurance companies making money. Canada's government and the provincial health care systems don't control how this works. It's up to these public companies who are making money for shareholders to decide if they want to cover you or not.
Where can I find this? Every single policy that I have been able to find for people without Ohip is for emergency care. Nothing for regular on-going care at all. It says specially, emergency care, don't even have to read the fine print.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your best option is to work with a licensed insurance broker who knows what's out there (rather than representing a specific company and pushing their specific product). A good insurance broker will be able to advise you what best suits your needs out of the various offerings available.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
scylla said:
Your best option is to work with a licensed insurance broker who knows what's out there (rather than representing a specific company and pushing their specific product). A good insurance broker will be able to advise you what best suits your needs out of the various offerings available.
No, they won't, because these types of insurances for people waiting to be covered by the province simply do not exist in Canada. In the states for example this wouldn't have been a problem. Please don't tell people that they can get non-emergency coverage while waiting when they can't. Unfortunately I think it's common that people don't understand what the insurance companies means by emergency. Having a seizure because of cancer would most likely be an emergency but getting chemo and radiation for a potential life threatening condition would most likely be not. In that case, as discussed, non-emergency care would be needed - which does not exist. If it does, which you had no problem claiming, please, please, advise me.

When the private sector doesn't offer a medical service it's time for the government to step it up a notch. It's rather insane that it's impossible to get good coverage while going through a mandatory wait time even if you're willing to pay.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SamHom said:
When the private sector doesn't offer a medical service it's time for the government to step it up a notch. It's rather insane that it's impossible to get good coverage while going through a mandatory wait time even if you're willing to pay.
It's not really insane. There is probably only a handful of people each year that end up needing serious medical care during the waiting period for provincial coverage. At most, some people might need a visit or two to the doctor, which generally costs $60-$80; it would be significantly cheaper to just pay that out-of-pocket instead of purchasing an expensive insurance policy.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
SamHom said:
No, they won't, because these types of insurances for people waiting to be covered by the province simply do not exist in Canada. In the states for example this wouldn't have been a problem. Please don't tell people that they can get non-emergency coverage while waiting when they can't. Unfortunately I think it's common that people don't understand what the insurance companies means by emergency. Having a seizure because of cancer would most likely be an emergency but getting chemo and radiation for a potential life threatening condition would most likely be not. In that case, as discussed, non-emergency care would be needed - which does not exist. If it does, which you had no problem claiming, please, please, advise me.

I live in the states, worked in hospital 29 years until last May, had cancer and can tell you it is the same in the states as far as 90 waiting period, depending on the insurance company and the group benefits from the employer. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
I'm also wondering, if anyone knows, if I start this process now with check ups, referrals etc, and I pay out of pocket, would Ohip automatically take over mid way through once im covered, or would I have to start all over with check ups, tests etc?