+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insufficient proof of cohabitation and more proof of relationship

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Hi everyone!

I'm sponsoring my husband (US citizen) from inland. We just received a notice saying we didn't provide sufficient proof of cohabitation. We're struggling to find enough proof to send. We live with my parents, who do not charge us rent/utilities ect so we don't have any bills of leases to send. We already submitted a signed letter from my parents to confirm this when we applied. We also previously submitted a bank statement for joint account, various things addressed to us at this address, and phone bills for us each with the same address. We now have my husband's work permit, Ontario drivers license, credit card account in my name with him as an authorized user, and a letter from my sister and her fiance stating we've lived at the same address for X amount of time and they have visited us there regularly. What else can we submit to show that we have lived together for the last year??

They also requested we send more proof of relationship, because there was a 3 year gap between our wedding and when we applied for my husband's PR. The gap is because we originally applied for me to move to the States, but had some trouble with that and ultimately decided he would move here. We are going to submit a letter explaining this, plus the confirmations and copies of my paperwork for US immigration. We also have several travel itineraries and flight receipts from that period as well (not every one but most), and social media posts showing us together during visits in that time. Anything else we should show?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

I'm sponsoring my husband (US citizen) from inland. We just received a notice saying we didn't provide sufficient proof of cohabitation. We're struggling to find enough proof to send. We live with my parents, who do not charge us rent/utilities ect so we don't have any bills of leases to send. We already submitted a signed letter from my parents to confirm this when we applied. We also previously submitted a bank statement for joint account, various things addressed to us at this address, and phone bills for us each with the same address. We now have my husband's work permit, Ontario drivers license, credit card account in my name with him as an authorized user, and a letter from my sister and her fiance stating we've lived at the same address for X amount of time and they have visited us there regularly. What else can we submit to show that we have lived together for the last year??

They also requested we send more proof of relationship, because there was a 3 year gap between our wedding and when we applied for my husband's PR. The gap is because we originally applied for me to move to the States, but had some trouble with that and ultimately decided he would move here. We are going to submit a letter explaining this, plus the confirmations and copies of my paperwork for US immigration. We also have several travel itineraries and flight receipts from that period as well (not every one but most), and social media posts showing us together during visits in that time. Anything else we should show?
I think showing the immigration paperwork for the second question is the right move. I would also show evidence of any trips to visit each other or trips together during that time (e.g. flight itineraries if you have them, hotel bookings, etc.).

For the first item, are you both working and have pay slips or tax returns that show the same address? Has he had any other mail sent to him at your address? Has he had any significant periods of travel since applying for PR or has he continuously remained in Canada living with you?

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
I think showing the immigration paperwork for the second question is the right move. I would also show evidence of any trips to visit each other or trips together during that time (e.g. flight itineraries if you have them, hotel bookings, etc.).

For the first item, are you both working and have pay slips or tax returns that show the same address? Has he had any other mail sent to him at your address? Has he had any significant periods of travel since applying for PR or has he continuously remained in Canada living with you?
Thank you for the reply!

My husband just got his work permit two weeks ago, and is still waiting for his SIN to arrive so he's not working yet. I am working though. And he's been living with me the entire time, no trips or gaps.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi everyone!

Also if you filed taxes together send them evidence showing that you filed together. Do you have amazon shipping receipts? Uber eats receipts from food being delivered to both of you at your address? Do you have any pets registered to your local city for example a pet license? Old ircc correspondence?

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Also if you filed taxes together send them evidence showing that you filed together. Do you have amazon shipping receipts? Uber eats receipts from food being delivered to both of you at your address? Do you have any pets registered to your local city for example a pet license? Old ircc correspondence?

I do have a letter from IRCC, good idea! I could get receipts from Uber/Amazon for each of seperately, with the same address, but none with BOTH names in one receipt. That's still ok right?

I also got a letter from the personnel manager at my work confirming that I listed my husband as spouse, and have him as my emergency contact at the same address as me.

Reactions: DiiDii

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I do have a letter from IRCC, good idea! I could get receipts from Uber/Amazon for each of seperately, with the same address, but none with BOTH names in one receipt. That's still ok right?

I also got a letter from the personnel manager at my work confirming that I listed my husband as spouse, and have him as my emergency contact at the same address as me.
What about tax info?

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
What about tax info?

Currently searching for them but I do believe I have my two documents showing him as spouse.

Another question? How on earth do we upload all this proof?? It only gives us the option to submit one PDF file. I've read on this forum that the max file size is 4mb. The pdf we've started adding the proof to is already about 60 pages, so I can't see all the rest fitting.

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
What about tax info?

Found my last tax return. It shows him listed as my spouse, but no other information because we weren't living together for most of that tax year. He had only been here on visitor status for a short time at time of filing so no SIN or income to report.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Both names don’t need to be on the receipts. You need to show both your names (can be separately) with the same address over the period of time your cohabitated.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Found my last tax return. It shows him listed as my spouse, but no other information because we weren't living together for most of that tax year. He had only been here on visitor status for a short time at time of filing so no SIN or income to report.
can you copy and paste what the letter says? just leave out any personal information.

Alexh

Mar 16, 2021
Did you get the PR successfully? Did IRCC find it sufficient enough?

Hi everyone!