+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Instructions on filling FD 258 FBI Card - Urgently required please guide

patsGP

Apr 29, 2017
Hi Seniors,

I need information on what to fill in some of the fields in FD-258 card. I got my finger printing done at the local police station, they only provided me with the FBI card.

(1) Do I have to fill in " Reason Fingerprinted" block? - If yes, what and is this field mandatory?
(2) ORI - Originating Agency Identifier - This is blank in my form. I read this information is mandatory, Please clarify and from where can i get this ORI number
(3) Citizenship - Do i have to write the complete name of the country or an abbreviation or country code? Is there a list of country codes?
(4) Place of Birth - Do i have to mention here country only (born outside US) or mention the city followed by country

Thanks in advance.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
patsGP said:
Hi Seniors,

I need information on what to fill in some of the fields in FD-258 card. I got my finger printing done at the local police station, they only provided me with the FBI card.

(1) Do I have to fill in " Reason Fingerprinted" block? - If yes, what and is this field mandatory?
(2) ORI - Originating Agency Identifier - This is blank in my form. I read this information is mandatory, Please clarify and from where can i get this ORI number
(3) Citizenship - Do i have to write the complete name of the country or an abbreviation or country code? Is there a list of country codes?
(4) Place of Birth - Do i have to mention here country only (born outside US) or mention the city followed by country

Thanks in advance.
I had my fingerprints taken at a US county Police department and they have put OTH which I am guess means Other - they never asked me for country of citizenship or even place of birth.

1. You can enter for Immigration to a foreign country
2. Where are you filling this form? In US or another country?
3. You can do either - as long as it fills within the box
4. Mention as much as you can depending on the space available

In any case, the information on the card is also requested on the application form - so I would not worry too much about it. As long as the prints are good, and there is basic identifying information, you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

patsGP

Apr 29, 2017
Hey Karthik,

Thanks for the information. I am currently staying in US. In this case, what should be put in ORI (Originating Agency Identifier)?

Also, my wife is on dependent visa H4, so she does not have a SSN. In her application form, SSN field is blank so is the case in the FD 258 FBI card. Is this ok? or should I mention ITIN instead in both places.

Thanks in advance

patsGP

Apr 29, 2017
Another last query, only the application form (including credit card form) and FD 258 FBI Card needs to be sent to FBI. Is there anything else that needs to be sent?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
patsGP said:
Another last query, only the application form (including credit card form) and FD 258 FBI Card needs to be sent to FBI. Is there anything else that needs to be sent?
Replied to your PM

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi Seniors,

Thanks in advance.
Hello ,

I had the same question. Did you recieve a reply as to what to fill for :

Citizenship - Should it be blank?
ORI - Should it be blank
Reason Fingerprinted - Immigration to Canada OR Travel to foreign countries is more appropriate

thaissahonda

May 29, 2018
Hello ,

I had the same question. Did you recieve a reply as to what to fill for :

Citizenship - Should it be blank?
ORI - Should it be blank
Reason Fingerprinted - Immigration to Canada OR Travel to foreign countries is more appropriate
Hi,
How did you proceed with that? I'm having the same questions...
Thanks

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
recommending you to go for digital fingerprint scan and printing the form on a heavy print stock. you can do this at 1 shot with identogo. they charge 20 USD + tax and all over the states. You can fill out identogo forms online before your appointment and all the information will automatically populated on the FD 258 from they print out your finger print digital scan. they are professional and doing quality work. I did this with my wife one shot, took about 10 minutes in and out to get it done.

a lot of people with the ink based FP cards sending to FBI , especially women, got high reject rates.

Reactions: k1234

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
Hey Karthik,

Thanks for the information. I am currently staying in US. In this case, what should be put in ORI (Originating Agency Identifier)?

Also, my wife is on dependent visa H4, so she does not have a SSN. In her application form, SSN field is blank so is the case in the FD 258 FBI card. Is this ok? or should I mention ITIN instead in both places.

Thanks in advance
ITIN is only used for TAX purposes by IRS, can not be used as an identifier, if she has no SSN then just dont fill in anything. either way she will get her background check. if you fill in the ITIN, FBI will get confused because all ITIN started with 9

utom1987

Star Member
May 20, 2014
NOC Code......
citizenship - Your local Police County will print it on the card
ORI - It should be blank
REASON - You can write IMMIGRATION or WORK , LIVE, TRAVEL
Thanks
I have a few questions man
First as mentioned in the Canadian website in regards to USA police certificate that we have to post all the documents and wait for weeks to get the result.
Same mentioned website offers to submit application online and submit the Finger print card via mail and that will take 5-7 business days to process. Is it ok if i choose to submit my application online and then send my fingerprints along with the confirmation email to FBI ?

Secondly in regards to the fd-258 form , what do i write in following
Employer and address :
Signature of official taking FP: if i do myself what to fill in this ?
OCA no. :
FBI No.
MNU :
MNU armed forces:
ORI:
Please i would really appreciate your help in this regards

thaissahonda

May 29, 2018
First as mentioned in the Canadian website in regards to USA police certificate that we have to post all the documents and wait for weeks to get the result.
Same mentioned website offers to submit application online and submit the Finger print card via mail and that will take 5-7 business days to process. Is it ok if i choose to submit my application online and then send my fingerprints along with the confirmation email to FBI ?

Employer and address :
OCA no. :
FBI No.
MNU :
MNU armed forces:
ORI:
Hey!
About your first question:
yes, you can subimit application (and payment) online. Then, mail the fingerprint card to FBI with the email confirmation. It's really quick, I got the report less than 2 days after they received my fingerprint card (send more than one, just in case).

Second question:
you can leave these blank. The only one I filled in was MNU Miscellaneous Number. Wrote my passport number and "-PP" after (FX000000-PP). But I don't think it was mandatory. You can find some instructions on the guide REQUIRED FIELDS – CRIMINAL FINGERPRINT CARD (just google it).
But basically, most of the required information you don't need to provide. I emailed the fbi support to ask some questions and their answer was: leave blank anything that you don't know.

It more simple than we think...
Good luck!

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017

Employer and address :
OCA no. :
FBI No.
MNU :
MNU armed forces:
ORI:
Sorry for the delayed response.

Please follow the online instructions and fill form and payment online and then send fingerprint and confirmation email from FBI about your order on postal mail.

You will get FBI report in 5-7 days
Thanks.

sandra418

Dec 11, 2018
Hi! I really need help please. The downloadable form they have on their website in in black. Should i just print it as it is or change it into blue? Advice is much needed and appreciated. Thank you

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi! I really need help please. The downloadable form they have on their website in in black. Should i just print it as it is or change it into blue? Advice is much needed and appreciated. Thank you
Just print the form and fill it as per the instructions. Why would you want to change it to blue ? Moreover everything now is online. You only need to mail the fingerprint and confirmation email print out that you get after submission of form .