+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry Regarding Giving Childbirth In Canada by non residents (TRVs)

Sherwin

Jun 22, 2013
amikety said:
I wasn't even thinking of the ears. It's germy - which you should avoid public places with your newborn for the first 3 months. Plus the pressure from the airplane can be dangerous to the skull of a newborn. I'm sure you know that the skulls of babies have 'soft spots' where the skull isn't fully formed yet. People do fly with small babies, of course, but I think it's best to avoid if possible.

If you do decide to go forward with the plan, I would consult with a doctor about when its "okay" to fly with a newborn. If you don't like the answer, consultant several or research different government's health recommendations.
thanks again for the replies amikety. i appreciate it :)

Sherwin

Jun 22, 2013
amikety said:
Many doctors in Canada don't accept private insurance. Before I moved to Canada, I tried to find one. (In the USA, we have a program called "COBRA" which lets us extend our health insurance from work for 6 months and I wanted to use that to have health insurance while I was in Canada.) In the entire city of Calgary, I couldn't find a single doctor who accepted private health insurance.
Amikety, did you find any doctors willing to be paid upfront either with cash or credit card? :(

Sherwin

Jun 22, 2013
Does anyone have any idea after a child is born, how long it would take for the child's passport to processed?

Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Sherwin said:
Amikety, did you find any doctors willing to be paid upfront either with cash or credit card? :(
Yes, but you have to know what the charges will be. It's impossible to predict charges for childbirth upfront.

JCP411

Jul 23, 2014
@SHERWIN

I would like to know what you and your wife ended up doing? :) My husband is a Canadian citizen, I am Belizean and we live in Belize, Central America. We are planning on having kids in 3-5 years (hopefully) I am considering doing the same thing (having baby in Canada) and trying to do as much research as possible. YESS we already know that his child will be granted citizenship regardless if born out of Canada.... we are more doing it for the 'better medical service' in a 1st world country. ::)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JCP411 said:
we are more doing it for the 'better medical service' in a 1st world country. ::)
If you are going for the "better medical service", go to USA might be a better option. Even some Canadians had to go to USA for surgery.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JCP411 said:
@ SHERWIN

I would like to know what you and your wife ended up doing? :) My husband is a Canadian citizen, I am Belizean and we live in Belize, Central America. We are planning on having kids in 3-5 years (hopefully) I am considering doing the same thing (having baby in Canada) and trying to do as much research as possible. YESS we already know that his child will be granted citizenship regardless if born out of Canada.... we are more doing it for the 'better medical service' in a 1st world country. ::)
You may want to explore having your husband sponsor you for Permanent Residence. While PRs generally have to live in Canada at least 2 out of any 5 years in order to maintain PR status, a spouse of a citizen can maintain PR status even if they live outside of Canada, as long as they live with their spouse. PR status would ease your entry into Canada and give you and your spouse more options.

FYI: My old responses to Sherwin were far too easy on him. I don't think he really got how sketchy his whole plan was. How hard it would be on his wife and the negative effects something like this has on immigrants and refugees in Canada. It sucks to not know where you're going or to put yourself into a hostile situation in one of the most vulnerable moment of your life. And it's sketchy to come here and give birth if you have no relationship with Canada and no other reason to be here other than exploitation of jus solis. That means that pending refugees or students or temporary workers who give birth here (which they have every right and need to do) have to deal with more uncertainty and more suspicion from officials and hospital personnel.

If you want the option of moving in and out of Canada with relative ease, it makes sense to try to get permanent status in Canada. This makes a lot of sense since your spouse in a citizen.

Also FYI, it takes 3 months after moving here before you or your husband will be eligible for provincial health coverage. Good luck in your decisions.

Sherwin

Jun 22, 2013
Hello JCP411, eileenf, and Elevatedspirit,

It's been awhile since I saw this thread. Truth be told, I completely forgot about it due to what had happened to us. Anyway, I came back here looking for answers to a different question. I was just surprised that I did, in fact have an account here.

To answer your questions, eileenf was right about everything that she had said about giving birth in another country and the challenges, rigors, and risks entailing travelling or giving birth "on the fly".

I for one, will vouch that she knows what she's talking about, and speaking from our own first hand experience.

The best laid plans of best intent are only as good as exactly that: ~plans. eileenf was also right in saying: that the "logistics reality is nowhere near the abstract"

To cut the story short: Yes...my wife and I did have plans of going to Canada, unfortunately my wife's sister and father had passed away consecutively in a very short span of time. So instead of going to Canada, we ended up having to go home to the Philippines traveling on her 5th month of pregnancy.

This is where eileenf's statements become gold: perhaps due to being stricken with grief and the plane travel, we ended up having to give birth "prematurely" at 24 weeks (6months). Our Child survived for another 8 months after her birth. We spent 7 months of it in a Neonatal ICU with innumerable surgeries. The bill skyrocketed, it ended up reaching roughly around USD 700,000, everything was still covered by insurance and we didn't have to pay a dime, but none of it mattered, because in the end we lost her.

take eileenf's advice. If anyone wants to do this, you'll have to plan and do it early. Try to get in the country as early as possible and, have your wife settled so she isn't subjected to undue stress. All that planning and good intent won't do squat if something happens in between to your pregnant wife and unborn child.

So in our case, that's where we ended up...just having plans.

Abcdxb

Dec 17, 2016
Hi Sherwin,

Did you go through your plan to deliver the baby in Canada?, I am planning to do the same but i would like to get some information from the people who really and actually did it.

Thanks