+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry on demo of continuous education

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.. My children aged 21, 20, 19, 17 and 12 just had their medical exam last april 14 2014. 4 of them were college students while the youngest is incoming Grade 7. My question is, are they required to continue their education although they are now in the medical stage? Do they need to enroll this June? Thanks!

Mrs_Canuck

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/04/2013
AOR Received.
16/04/2013
Med's Done....
08/03/2013
LANDED..........
12/03/2014
A little bit more information would help a member answer your question more accurately.

Are you applying Inland or Outland?

Mrs_Canuck

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/04/2013
AOR Received.
16/04/2013
Med's Done....
08/03/2013
LANDED..........
12/03/2014
The current average waiting time for Manila is 28 months - this is based on a complete application.

I would have your children enroll in school. If your application is completed before they are completed their school year, you can pull them out of school or simply wait until the year is done. I'm not sure how long you've been waiting already, but at this point, especially for the younger child, not having them enroll and then having to wait for another little while might disrupt their education and set them back when they do end up reaching Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Denise13 said:
Hi.. My children aged 21, 20, 19, 17 and 12 just had their medical exam last april 14 2014. 4 of them were college students while the youngest is incoming Grade 7. My question is, are they required to continue their education although they are now in the medical stage? Do they need to enroll this June? Thanks!
Definitions of Dependent children (Types A, B and C)

Your child or a child of the person you are sponsoring can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements of types A, B or C below

TYPE A

The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).

TYPE B

The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:
since before the age of 22, or
since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).

TYPE C

The child is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition.
Your children were under the age of 22 when your application was received by CIC, so would be TYPE A, and do not need to remain in continuous education. They MUST however remain single (not married and not in a common-law relationship) until they "land" as permanent residents. If any of them ceases to be single, they are no longer eligible.

moki

Feb 12, 2015
hi sir my brother is now 18 years old and my sister is now 19 years old,why do you think Canadian immigration asking for the proof of continuous education even if they still a type A dependent child, I'm 23 now and my mother said that im still a type A because I was locked in the age when she start applying for PR,

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
moki said:
hi sir my brother is now 18 years old and my sister is now 19 years old,why do you think Canadian immigration asking for the proof of continuous education even if they still a type A dependent child, I'm 23 now and my mother said that im still a type A because I was locked in the age when she start applying for PR,
Under new rules (since August 1 2014) Children under the age of 19 years are considered dependent.

Prior to that children under 22 years of age were considered dependent. Your application will still be processed under old rules. Your brother and sister are Type A dependents. If at the time of application you were under the age of 22 you are also Type A dependent, otherwise, you need to provide proof that you are a full time stundent on an ongoing basis since before the age of 22.
*Edited

moki

Feb 12, 2015
RajaJi said:
Under new rules (since August 1 2014) Children under the age of 19 years are considered dependent.

Prior to that children under 22 years of age were considered dependent. Your application will still be processed under old rules. Your brother and sister are still under the age of 22. Since you age now is 23 years, you need to provide proof that you are a full time stundent on an ongoing basis since before the age of 22 and are dependent on your parents for financial support since that time.
Thank Rajaji, I'm still studying right now but my concern is, I'm only taking 6 units because I just shifted course this semester.Do you think it can affect our application.

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
moki said:
Do you know anyone here having the same case like mine?
If at the time of application, you were under the age of 22, you are a Type A Dependent. Type A dependent need not to be a Full Time Student. However, type A must not be married or be involved in a common-law relationship at the time of visa issuance and when they enter Canada.

moki

Feb 12, 2015
RajaJi said:
If at the time of application, you were under the age of 22, you are a Type A Dependent. Type A dependent need not to be a Full Time Student. However, type A must not be married or be involved in a common-law relationship at the time of visa issuance and when they enter Canada.
Thank you so much