Med's Done....
01-22-2016 RPRF 02-02-2016 PCC 02-11-2016
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-22-2016
Hi Everyone, I have a question about rumors circulating in Quebec. In this province, new immigrants who are CSQ holders have the option to sign up for the French courses of the province. The classes are not only free, but they even give you a little money for attending.

Now, what is interesting, is that at these classes you get to hear variations of this story: "if you are a Quebec immigrant, and you move to another province, then CIC might not grant you citizenship"..... I find this very odd, since it is our constitutional right as PRs to live and work anywhere in Canada.

Have any of you heard about this? Are there any merits to this claim?

Let the discussion begin! (hopefully)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
People can say whatever they want, but they are not always right. You can move wherever you want and it should not affect your citizenship, unless there was evidence you committed misrepresentation on your PR application.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
leinadaniel said:
Hi Everyone, I have a question about rumors circulating in Quebec. In this province, new immigrants who are CSQ holders have the option to sign up for the French courses of the province. The classes are not only free, but they even give you a little money for attending.

Now, what is interesting, is that at these classes you get to hear variations of this story: "if you are a Quebec immigrant, and you move to another province, then CIC might not grant you citizenship"..... I find this very odd, since it is our constitutional right as PRs to live and work anywhere in Canada.

Have any of you heard about this? Are there any merits to this claim?

Let the discussion begin! (hopefully)
Absolute BS. A Canadian PR is a Canadian PR, you can move to Iqaluit and that wouldn't change your eligibility....

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also attend these classes, leinadaniel, although I'm not a recently landed immigrant and I don't get any money either, as I just do evenings.

My advice to you is to trust your own research and ignore what others say. There's a lot of emotions in those students (some good, some bad) and those emotions, coupled with misinformation and hearsay, lead to false statements. As an example, my wife recently got her citizenship and when the topic came up half the class was convinced that I would get it automatically as well, just by being married to her. The truth is that I cannot even apply yet, as I don't fulfill the physical presence requirements yet (hoping for December).

leinadaniel

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ 12-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015
Med's Request
01-21-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-22-2016
links18 said:
People can say whatever they want, but they are not always right. You can move wherever you want and it should not affect your citizenship, unless there was evidence you committed misrepresentation on your PR application.

Thank you for your reply. Of course, you're right about misrepresentation. But I was asking more about simply the "moving" aspect, which you also addressed. I myself have been living in Quebec for 4 years on a work permit/study permit, and recently became PR 100% legally, through the PEQ program. I just need to hear from the experts if I am free to look for the best opportunities anywhere in Canada, rather than just Quebec.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
leinadaniel said:
Thank you for your reply. Of course, you're right about misrepresentation. But I was asking more about simply the "moving" aspect, which you also addressed. I myself have been living in Quebec for 4 years on a work permit/study permit, and recently became PR 100% legally, through the PEQ program. I just need to hear from the experts if I am free to look for the best opportunities anywhere in Canada, rather than just Quebec.
What are the conditions of your PEQ? What commitments did you make when you applied?

leinadaniel

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ 12-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015
Med's Request
01-21-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-22-2016
links18 said:
What are the conditions of your PEQ? What commitments did you make when you applied?

PEQ stands for Quebec experience program, it is the equivalent of Canadian experience class. This program is for people who have studied and/or work in Quebec. You qualify for it based on your experience in the province. I have been here for 4 years, therefore, even though I am recent landed, I am not a newcomer.

As far as commitments, it is like all the provinces, you sign a form saying that you INTEND to live in Quebec. I am still in Quebec, and I haven't looked at other provinces yet. I am doing my research before I open up my choices.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
leinadaniel said:
PEQ stands for Quebec experience program, it is the equivalent of Canadian experience class. This program is for people who have studied and/or work in Quebec. You qualify for it based on your experience in the province. I have been here for 4 years, therefore, even though I am recent landed, I am not a newcomer.

As far as commitments, it is like all the provinces, you sign a form saying that you INTEND to live in Quebec. I am still in Quebec, and I haven't looked at other provinces yet. I am doing my research before I open up my choices.
You may want to try to establish yourself in Quebec before moving elsewhere. While you have the freedom to move elsewhere as a PR, your PR status itself could be in jeopardy if someone decides you misrepresented your intention to establish yourself (As a PR) in Quebec during the application process. You would stand a better chance of defeating such claims by having evidence of having lived in Quebec for some time after landing and having made an effort to establish yourself there. What's "some time"? I don't know.

leinadaniel

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ 12-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015
Med's Request
01-21-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2016
LANDED..........
03-22-2016
links18 said:
You may want to try to establish yourself in Quebec before moving elsewhere. While you have the freedom to move elsewhere as a PR, your PR status itself could be in jeopardy if someone decides you misrepresented your intention to establish yourself (As a PR) in Quebec during the application process. You would stand a better chance of defeating such claims by having evidence of having lived in Quebec for some time after landing and having made an effort to establish yourself there. What's "some time"? I don't know.
Exactly. No one knows what "some time" is. Also, I am already established in Quebec, I've had a job for years, and paying taxes. So.... oh well

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
leinadaniel said:
Exactly. No one knows what "some time" is. Also, I am already established in Quebec, I've had a job for years, and paying taxes. So.... oh well
Your commitment was to "Intend to reside" in Quebec, which you have already fulfilled by completing your landing there, and also living and working there. There is no minimum "some time". "Intent to reside" is exactly what it is, i.e. your intention. And this can not be measured in terms of number of months or years.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
alok4best said:
Your commitment was to "Intend to reside" in Quebec, which you have already fulfilled by completing your landing there, and also living and working there. There is no minimum "some time". "Intent to reside" is exactly what it is, i.e. your intention. And this can not be measured in terms of number of months or years.
Time spent after landing alone won't necessarily decide what intent was at the time of application and/or landing, but a PR who has made such commitments and then leaves the province in short order is setting him/herself up to have a difficult time refuting claims of misrepresentation should they arise. But as to the OP's initial point, moving out of the province of intended residence shouldn't in and of itself affect a citizenship application, but it could raise issues about the underlying PR status, without which citizenship is impossible. How likely is this to occur? Probably unlikely as long as the actions do not look like blatant disregard for the residency commitment, but I do not speak from any experience.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
links18 said:
Time spent after landing alone won't necessarily decide what intent was at the time of application and/or landing, but a PR who has made such commitments and then leaves the province in short order is setting him/herself up to have a difficult time refuting claims of misrepresentation should they arise. But as to the OP's initial point, moving out of the province of intended residence shouldn't in and of itself affect a citizenship application, but it could raise issues about the underlying PR status, without which citizenship is impossible. How likely is this to occur? Probably unlikely as long as the actions do not look like blatant disregard for the residency commitment, but I do not speak from any experience.
That's what I said. There is no min or max for how much time one has to spend to fulfill commitment.
This is also a fact that the constitution and citizens charter gives absolute freedom for PRs to move, work and live freely anywhere in Canada.

That's the reason why no province has yet been able to force any nominees in a legally binding agreements, as any such attempt won't be legally tenable. Having said that, if it can be proved, that the nominee never had any intentions to reside, then the misrepresentation will come into picture. But the possibility of that is really really rare. In fact, never heard of so far.

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
If it is any help: I got PR as a provincial nominee in Alberta, and after a year there I moved to Quebec. I am a citizen now.