Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
There is a new document checklist out as of 6/13/2017. (IMM 5287)

1. With the changes I am not sure where to put the Sponsorship evaluation (IMM5532E), as well as the Open Work Permit (IMM5669) as they are listed no where in the Document checklist.

2. on the new checklist it states 16-18 does not need to be filled out ONLY if you are in Quebec. Previously in Common-law sponsorship (No kids) income did not have to be proven. Just wondering if we should fill it out or not with common law sponsorship now.

3. Lastly, He is my sponsor as common-law. Do we need to include the declaration since there is no co-signer? And if we do, We literally have nothing to show that we are "common-law" other than the fact I have been here for a year. He has a mortgage from 2008, and his vehicle is paid off. I don't have a phone (Useless as I don't work) Utilities were already set up, and for shopping he just hands me the debit card.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
3. Lastly, He is my sponsor as common-law. Do we need to include the declaration since there is no co-signer? And if we do, We literally have nothing to show that we are "common-law" other than the fact I have been here for a year. He has a mortgage from 2008, and his vehicle is paid off. I don't have a phone (Useless as I don't work) Utilities were already set up, and for shopping he just hands me the debit card.
How do you intend to prove you cohabited for 12 continuous months, with no real proof?? Simply being in Canada for 12 months and even filling in the declaration (though it's not actually required) is certainly not enough. You may find a very difficult and long processing of your PR app, as most likely IRCC will demand more proofs. If you don't have any, the app may end in rejection if they are not satisfied you lived together 12 months.

You didn't get any common bank accounts, credit cards, insurance products etc? Mail to you delivered to same address? Testimonials from family/friends about the relationship and cohabitation? etc etc

Before submitting anything, I would seriously try to gather more proofs for a stronger app.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need proof to apply as common law and have lived together for 12 months continuously. Are you sure you really have nothing?

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
I literally have a single piece of mail from the government that shows the po box number( because there is no residential mail delivery.) which in my mind is not "enough proof".
He has his mortgage from 2008 and has had utilities since then. We dont have a joint bank account because I can't work/make money. He has had everything since before I came up here so yes literally "No proof" I guess I tell them I lived in my car all winter.

Still wondering where to put OWP/ and if 16-18 is required on new checklist where i had read if common law or spouse it wasnt needed for old checklist to prove finances..

aleop

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
You should open a joint account, it does not matter if you do not work, or make money. Also, when you do your taxes, which address will you put? What about him? That is two documents from where you can get same address. Also, friends? or his family? your family? Letters. Do the Common-Law Declaration. Does he work? Why do not you get into an insurance together? Or wifi bills?

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
You didn't get any common bank accounts, credit cards, insurance products etc? Mail to you delivered to same address? Testimonials from family/friends about the relationship and cohabitation? etc etc
I don't put money in the account and from last we tried with the bank I couldn't have an account because i have no SIN. unless the people have no idea what they are talking about.
No we dont have joint insurance. He is canadian and has everything named for him and his kid (beneficiary).
No I don't have insurance to name him as a beneficiary, I am on state funded medicaid. It pays for stuff but is not like life insurance.

We have 2 friends for letters but they are married so 2 letters from the same household is something we weren't relying on.

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
You should open a joint account, it does not matter if you do not work, or make money. Also, when you do your taxes, which address will you put? What about him? That is two documents from where you can get same address. Also, friends? or his family? your family? Letters. Do the Common-Law Declaration. Does he work? Why do not you get into an insurance together? Or wifi bills?

For the taxes I ran it with a po box in the states because it wouldn't let me complete it otherwise doing my forms online.
All his stuff is obviously going to be mailed here to him, at his po box. We don't get residential mail at all.
His utilities were already set up with Hydro and MTS. We had both agreed that it was silly to change around utilities but i guess we have no choice.

My family is not going to help in any way.
We asked for letters and got 2 from friends (but they are married so we really only 'counted' it as 1)
I guess we can ask the bank to add me again but the person we spoke to last said I couldn't be added with no SIN. Maybe she had no clue what she was talking about so here is hoping for the best.

aleop

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
You do not need a SIN to open an account. I opened when I first came. That letter from friends is good, even when it is one. Also, you can write one about how you guys met, and all that. Be specific about the whole relationship. If you guys have any anniversary cards, add them too.

You will need to change the utilities, and have it under both names, because you live together. If you already have the year together, your taxes should be filled as common-law, so it would be only one address required.

That would left you with: 1 letter from friends, 1 letter from you or from him talking about your relationship, the utilities, the joint account, and should be also taxes common law. I will suggest him to add you in his credit card, so you have one more proof. You need to do things together, legal documents that can have both names. Maybe if he has a insurance connected to work, he can add you, or you guys can open one together. The more the better.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's pretty easy to open a bank account or become a joint bank account holder without a SIN. Many of us here have done this. I would try again.

Reactions: kailu

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I don't put money in the account and from last we tried with the bank I couldn't have an account because i have no SIN. unless the people have no idea what they are talking about.
Visitors to Canada with no SIN can open joint bank accounts with Canadians. Just ask around to a few banks. Many people have done this.

Also you could get a supplemental credit card of his, in your own name. This will put both your names on 1 bill. Again it doesn't matter if you're a visitor here.

No we dont have joint insurance. He is canadian and has everything named for him and his kid (beneficiary).
If you're being sponsored by him as a common-law partner, you should absolutely be added as a beneficiary for his insurance products along with his kid (most likely a 50/50 split). If he is unwilling to do this, it will be a huge red flag that you are not really in a marriage-like conjugal relationship.

Also get some mail delivered to you, at the address you are sharing.

As mentioned as soon as you reached 12 months cohabitation, he should have changed his tax status with CRA from single to common-law. This can be included as proof.

Again, submitting a common-law PR app void of actual proofs of cohabitation, is a very bad idea with a high chance of rejection. You need to gather all these types of proofs asap.

Reactions: kailu

aleop

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016
He can also add you to his car insurance if he has one. You can always write a letter and explain why you cannot provide the documents, but I think it would be better for you to provide them. For your question 2, I do not understand what you mean.

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
You do not need a SIN to open an account. I opened when I first came. That letter from friends is good, even when it is one. Also, you can write one about how you guys met, and all that. Be specific about the whole relationship. If you guys have any anniversary cards, add them too.

You will need to change the utilities, and have it under both names, because you live together. If you already have the year together, your taxes should be filled as common-law, so it would be only one address required.

That would left you with: 1 letter from friends, 1 letter from you or from him talking about your relationship, the utilities, the joint account, and should be also taxes common law. I will suggest him to add you in his credit card, so you have one more proof. You need to do things together, legal documents that can have both names. Maybe if he has a insurance connected to work, he can add you, or you guys can open one together. The more the better.
2016 taxes were said and done as we were not common law at the point of tax filings for the both of us.

Duly noted she had no clue what she was talking about so we shall try the bank account thing again.

He has no credit card, it is his debit bank account only. He doesn't believe in credit cards. "If you can't buy it in cash you don't need it"

We have also included our account of meeting and such, but I personally feel coming from us that they may see it is us telling them what they want to hear just for the approval.

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
He can also add you to his car insurance if he has one. You can always write a letter and explain why you cannot provide the documents, but I think it would be better for you to provide them. For your question 2, I do not understand what you mean.
Question 2 there is a new document checklist.
For common law before it was said that proof of his finances was not needed.
the new checklist states only those in quebec need not fill out the finance information.

This is the new document checklist link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5287E.pdf

aleop

Star Member
Sep 18, 2016

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
Visitors to Canada with no SIN can open joint bank accounts with Canadians. Just ask around to a few banks. Many people have done this.

Also you could get a supplemental credit card of his, in your own name. This will put both your names on 1 bill. Again it doesn't matter if you're a visitor here.

If you're being sponsored by him as a common-law partner, you should absolutely be added as a beneficiary for his insurance products along with his kid (most likely a 50/50 split). If he is unwilling to do this, it will be a huge red flag that you are not really in a marriage-like conjugal relationship.

Also get some mail delivered to you, at the address you are sharing.

As mentioned as soon as you reached 12 months cohabitation, he should have changed his tax status with CRA from single to common-law. This can be included as proof.

Again, submitting a common-law PR app void of actual proofs of cohabitation, is a very bad idea with a high chance of rejection. You need to gather all these types of proofs asap.
It was just something I personally felt was none of my business getting into until we were married (The insurance beneficiary stuff)

I know i got to this after responding elsewhere, but he only has a bank account, no credit cards. He does not deal with credit cards. But adding to bank account would add the address.

I will have him contact CRA since we have reached 12 months.

Like i said the only other thing is that i have my extension that was mailed to the post office otherwise. I suppose it was a little extreme to say 100% no proof. But, that's how it feels with 2 letters from a married couple and I have one piece of mail from the government outside of our relationship testimony. (Which i wouldnt blame them if they looked at it as 'they're saying what they think we want to hear')