+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland vs Outland for Americans...?

tarahandrew

Aug 3, 2018
Some friends who went through the process a few years ago said that outland was better for Americans for some reason. They warned against doing an inland application. Our file is pretty black and white with ample proof of the legitimacy of our relationship. They warned that if we are rejected, we can't appeal. Is this still the case in 2018? Should I be worried?

Also, when my husband lands in Canada to come live with me, what does he tell immigration at the airport? We will be submitting his residency application and open work permit application within a few weeks of him arriving in Canada.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
The reason outland is better for Americans isn’t due to the appeal process. It’s the processing time. Outland applications are processed in 3-6 months for most Americans, compared to 12 months for inland.

tarahandrew

Aug 3, 2018
The reason outland is better for Americans isn’t due to the appeal process. It’s the processing time. Outland applications are processed in 3-6 months for most Americans, compared to 12 months for inland.
Ah, ok. He lives in Korea and the CIC site currently says it takes 10-12 months for an application through Korea (outland) and 12 months for an application through the US (Outland). We want to do inland so that we can be together as a family immediately and for him to start networking and get going on the job search process. It'd be great if it were 3 months...but according to the government website it's likely to be a lot longer outland. At least with inland he can come right away and be working within 3 months, no?

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
The benefit for outland is that it's a quicker process overall, but has to be done from outside Canada. The benefit for inland is that you can apply for OWP immediately, so you can be living in Canada right away, and working 3-4 months after sending in your applications, but the PR process takes longer.

My husband and I came from the US (he's Canadian) and sent in our applications beginning of July. Based on others reports, I'm hoping to have my OWP sometime in the last week of September to mid-October, but it could be longer than that.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
The benefit for outland is that it's a quicker process overall, but has to be done from outside Canada. The benefit for inland is that you can apply for OWP immediately, so you can be living in Canada right away, and working 3-4 months after sending in your applications, but the PR process takes longer.

My husband and I came from the US (he's Canadian) and sent in our applications beginning of July. Based on others reports, I'm hoping to have my OWP sometime in the last week of September to mid-October, but it could be longer than that.
Outland applications do not have to be done outside Canada. The applicant can either be inside or outside Canada. I lived in Canada while my outland application was processing.

Reactions: mel406

Vsbuchan

Jul 19, 2018
My husband and I both live in the US so we applied outland and its been almost 5 months since we submitted. While I am hopeful to hear soon I am still preparing for another 7 months wait. Im kinda wishing we did it inland so we could be there now but it just made more sense for us to stay here until we are approved.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Ah, ok. He lives in Korea and the CIC site currently says it takes 10-12 months for an application through Korea (outland) and 12 months for an application through the US (Outland). We want to do inland so that we can be together as a family immediately and for him to start networking and get going on the job search process. It'd be great if it were 3 months...but according to the government website it's likely to be a lot longer outland. At least with inland he can come right away and be working within 3 months, no?
The stated processing time of 12 months for Americans applying outland is the "standard" that IRCC promises they'll try not to exceed, not the average processing time.

mel406

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Outland applications do not have to be done outside Canada. The applicant can either be inside or outside Canada. I lived in Canada while my outland application was processing.
Sorry about that, I know I learned that somewhere along the way, completely forgot.