Passport Req..
17-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-03-2014
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, new member here.

My partner and I are looking to apply for PR: he's an Australian citizen, I'm Canadian by birth. We've been in a relationship for just over 4 years, since July 2009 when we met in Canada. After a few months apart, my visit to Australia and nearly a year of long distance, he returned to Canada in June 2011, and is currently in Canada on his 3rd IEC permit, due to expire in June 2015. We've lived together in Toronto for just over 2 years, since Sept. 2011.

We've looked at a couple of options for spousal sponsorship - common law partner, both inland and outland, and we are looking to find out which would be preferable in our situation. Given the current processing times, we believe we are fine for timing for either option, so just looking to get some clarification on the logistics!

We looked at inland, but this would pose some difficulty if he ever had to leave the country during the processing time.

We are now leaning towards outland, but were concerned that if an interview was requested, he would have to do this in Sydney. However we heard that applications first go to CPC-Missisauga, and since he has been legally in Canada for 1+ years, the application would be processed in CPP-Ottawa, rather than Sydney, Australia.

1. Is this true?

2. Do we have to make a special indication on the application (if so, which form?) that we would like it to processed at CPP-O?

3. If an interview was requested, where would this take place? (We are hoping somewhere closer than Australia!)

We think our case is pretty straightforward: we have lots of cards, letters, both names are on our apartment lease, travel receipts, chat logs, cell phone bills, receipts for household furniture we purchased together. We plan to get letters from family members and friends about our relationship (getting a few notarized), as well as we each plan to write a statement about our relationship to supplement the forms and other documentation, and will look at getting these statements notarized as well.

We are getting documents ready now, aiming to submit by the end of November. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further clarification.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
torvic said:
1. Is this true?

2. Do we have to make a special indication on the application (if so, which form?) that we would like it to processed at CPP-O?

3. If an interview was requested, where would this take place? (We are hoping somewhere closer than Australia!)

We think our case is pretty straightforward: we have lots of cards, letters, both names are on our apartment lease, travel receipts, chat logs, cell phone bills, receipts for household furniture we purchased together. We plan to get letters from family members and friends about our relationship (getting a few notarized), as well as we each plan to write a statement about our relationship to supplement the forms and other documentation, and will look at getting these statements notarized as well.
Hi

1. Yes, he could request Ottawa.

2. There is a spot on the app where they ask what office you want for processing.

3. Unless you guys have some massive red flag (criminal background, big age difference etc), there is almost no chance of an interview. Interviews are called when CIC suspects the relationship isn't genuine. As a common-law couple with lots of relationship proof going back several years and an applicant from a visa-exempt country as equally developed as Canada, you won't have an interview.

That said, Sydney is one of the fastest VOs there is (around 6-7 months, or faster), so you guys would probably be better off applying through it instead of Ottawa. The entire application would first go to Mississauga for sponsor evaluation, then CIC would send the app to Sydney.

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
Go outland. We are in the final stages with the Sydney office now and they seem far faster than it says online. I also heard that there are more challenges with inland in terms of potential appeal options. Finally, I have a friend who just went through the common-law inland process (she is American) and they had an awful time and highly recommended we do outland.

torvic

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2013
AOR Received.
04-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Passport Req..
17-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-03-2014
Thanks to both of you for your replies - helps clear that matter up a bit

canuck_in_uk - do you recall which form to specify the processing office?

Also any recommendations as far as proceeding with the application ourselves or to enlist the help of an immigration consultant or lawyer? Part of me wants to get a second set of eyes to look things over, but it's very expensive...

I'm sure we'll be posting other questions as we continue this process. Thanks so much!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Most of us in here think a consultant is a waste of time unless you have a complicated application (previous denial, complicated custody issues, a lot of "red flags" that might make it look like your relationship isn't genuine, etc). If you're from a visa-exempt country, especially, and your case is pretty straight forward, I'd say don't waste the money.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
torvic said:
Thanks to both of you for your replies - helps clear that matter up a bit

canuck_in_uk - do you recall which form to specify the processing office?

Also any recommendations as far as proceeding with the application ourselves or to enlist the help of an immigration consultant or lawyer? Part of me wants to get a second set of eyes to look things over, but it's very expensive...

I'm sure we'll be posting other questions as we continue this process. Thanks so much!
IMM0008 - Question 4 - Immigration Office Requested for Processing this Application

Do it yourselves. You guys have a straightforward application, no red flags and a good grasp of the English language :), so there is no need for a lawyer or consultant. Though the app is fairly long and involved, there are guides and checklists for the whole process. And anything you are unsure of, you can ask on here and almost certainly get an answer.