Inland V Outland?

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm English, my husband is Canadian. We'd always figured we would do our application while i still live in the UK but certain pieces of evidence they ask for are impossible to provide (joint names on lease/utility bills etc..) but i can't move yet as i couldn't work on a visitor visa so i couldn't live there and not work.
Now we are thinking that i will have to live there to be able to provide certain things they require. But i'd still have the work issue.

Any advice gratefully received! (I am bringing my 11 year old son as a dependent)

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
I am also a British Citizen living in Canada with my Common Law Partner under legal status (open work permit), we applied via Inland so we can be together during processing and so I can work during processing. To apply under Inland you have to have legal status such as a student, worker, or temporary residence.

There are some positives and some negatives about the different applications such as Outland and inland. Inland you can work in Canada during processing and for Outland you can't work. People also say Outland is quicker than Inland but the processing times are both the same which are 12 months.

Inland you cannot appeal a immigration decision and Outland you can. Also with Inland you are advised not to leave Canada during processing as this can jeopardize the application when trying to re enter, where as for Outland you can.

It's honestly up to you, but to do inland you need status.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Outland can be much quicker (4 months through Ottawa, 9 months through London). Inland has a new target of 12 months, historically has taken about 2 years.

Inland means you can get a work permit while you wait, although that can take longer to arrive than an entire app if you get Ottawa (which looking at the sheet, about 90% of Brits do).

Regards a point above, 'inland' apps do require 'status' yes, but 'visitor' is a perfectly acceptable status for this. You can extend it online to keep yourself valid while waiting.