+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spouse sponsorship - separated after submitting our application

eldkflfk

May 20, 2021
Good morning all,

My wife and I submitted our inland spouse sponsorship PR application a few months ago. I am a Canadian citizen.

Things have changed and I'm considering separating from my wife. I don't know about other provinces, but in BC, you need to be separated for at least one year before you file your divorce.

If our status changes to "separated," will this affect her PR application? If I inform IRCC about our status change, can my wife still get her PR? Or I have no choice but to cancel my application?

Thank you so much.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Good morning all,

My wife and I submitted our inland spouse sponsorship PR application a few months ago. I am a Canadian citizen.

Things have changed and I'm considering separating from my wife. I don't know about other provinces, but in BC, you need to be separated for at least one year before you file your divorce.

If our status changes to "separated," will this affect her PR application? If I inform IRCC about our status change, can my wife still get her PR? Or I have no choice but to cancel my application?

Thank you so much.
If you are seperating, you should withdraw your sponsorship application. You need to inform IRCC and your wife should NOT get her PR via your sponsorship. If you hide it from IRCC and let her get her PR, you are committing mis-represenstation and you will be on hook for any social assistant that she claims in 3 years after her landing.

Actually at the landing interview, (or virtual one...) you will ask if yours and hers marital status/relationship has changed. If you said No, you will be lying.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good morning all,

Thank you so much.
As said above, you must withdraw the application if you decide to separate. Proceeding with the application will be classified as fraud if you are no longer together.

You also want to protect yourself. In the event you separate, you do not want to end up being financially responsible for your spouse for three years. While you may be on OK terms now, things can go sideways and three years of social assistance will be a large amount that you may end up having to repay to the government if your ex goes on social assistance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you also wouldn't be able to sponsor anyone else for 3 years which is yet another reason in case you were considering not being honest.