+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship - what to say at the border when entering Canada?

CBarr

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Fiance will be entering Canada with an ETA and we will start the sponsorship inland (with OWP as well), but we are still having trouble finding out what we can or can't say at the border.

Entrance will be made at the Toronto Pearson airport border, I will be coming together with my fiance but I am PR, I don't think I can be next to my fiance when the border agent asks her the routine questions (and my fiance's English isn't great either).

Should my fiance say the reason for coming to Canada is for the purpose of starting an inland sponsorship application, where I will be the sponsor, or should my fiance say that it's for tourist purposes (exploring Toronto, for example)?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
While she doesn't need to greet the border agent with your entire future plans for life together, she absolutely shouldn't lie, or even misdirect in any way. She should answer every question truthfully and succinctly.

That said, technically she's a visitor until you both file for PR. So she is entering as a visitor - with a possibility of staying using completely legal means. Should the conversation with the border agent turn to plans of marriage she'll most likely get a congratulations.

CBarr

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
While she doesn't need to greet the border agent with your entire future plans for life together, she absolutely shouldn't lie, or even misdirect in any way. She should answer every question truthfully and succinctly.

That said, technically she's a visitor until you both file for PR. So she is entering as a visitor - with a possibility of staying using completely legal means. Should the conversation with the border agent turn to plans of marriage she'll most likely get a congratulations.
Thanks @Underhill , just to clarify (I realized I did not even mention that) by the time my fiance will be coming to Canada we will already be married, and we will be entering by air. I do not know if that will still make much difference for the purpose of entry, but thought I should clarify that part at the very least.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Thanks @Underhill , just to clarify (I realized I did not even mention that) by the time my fiance will be coming to Canada we will already be married, and we will be entering by air. I do not know if that will still make much difference for the purpose of entry, but thought I should clarify that part at the very least.
Shouldn't make any difference. As long as she's eligible to enter Canada as a visitor it's certainly normal for your spouse to come and see you.

Reactions: CBarr